SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-10-11, 06:30 PM   #1
Solidsnake2234
Seaman

Downloads: 185
Uploads: 0
Default Upgrading 16 inch guns for USS Montana mod

I use the USS Montana mod, but the 16" guns have a bit of a problem. They are very underpowered commpared to the ones in real life. I went into a battle against a Tast Force with carriers, heavy crusiers and 2 Yamato class Battleships. I went in there with at least 957 16" shells (1000 shells are the max for the mod) and when I sunk only ONE of the Yamato class battleships, I had less than 130 shells left, and little to none missed the target. I need to upgrade the power of the 16" shells. I found the files for them, but I cant change anything, mostly because it is random stuff on the file, and that I dont know what any of it is. I tryed other mods like the 'Slightley Subnuclear Deck Gun', but the enemy ships gets the same guns, reducing my ship to a floating coffin in a matter of seconds. Does anyone know how to upgrade the shells?
Solidsnake2234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-11, 12:20 PM   #2
WernherVonTrapp
Admiral

Downloads: 105

I wouldn't say the 16" shells were underpowered. Especially since you say you were firing on a Yamato Class BB. The Yamato had hardened steel armor plate that took up about 30% of the ship's weight. In fact, it was the heaviest armor ever mounted on a battleship, able to withstand a projectile from one of it's own 18" guns (or a 3000 pound projectile). It's armor plate was 25 inches thick against surface targets. It was actually more vulnerable below the waterline where 7 torpedoes finally took their toll on her during operation Ten-Go. In all, I think it took something along the lines of 12 (1000 pound) bombs and 7 torpedoes to finish her off.
"What is truth?"
-Pontius Pilate
WernherVonTrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-11, 12:28 PM   #3
Solidsnake2234
Seaman

Downloads: 185

I didnt mean underpowered when versing the Yamato, if anything I understand why it took so long now. When I say underpowered, I mean against the smaller vessels like merchant ships, or any ship that has light armor.
Solidsnake2234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-11, 12:52 PM   #4
WernherVonTrapp
Admiral

Downloads: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidsnake2234 View Post
I didnt mean underpowered when versing the Yamato, if anything I understand why it took so long now. When I say underpowered, I mean against the smaller vessels like merchant ships, or any ship that has light armor.
Sorry, there was no way for me to know that after reading your previous post.
"What is truth?"
-Pontius Pilate
WernherVonTrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-13, 07:12 AM   #5
cat22
Swabbie

Downloads: 16

If anyone is curious, I have adjusted the armor of all ships ".zon" (s). I too enjoy using the Montana but found it lacking. Made the adjustments, haven't looked back. Makes taking on a task force as you describe far more dangerous, but more fun!! Long story short, the armor on just about everything is to thick. 96cm on the Yamato, and the Montana is too thick. As an example I dropped the Yamato down to 66.04cm and the Montana to 55.88cm. More realistic values. This made all the difference. Just my $0.02!!
cat22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, gun, shells, upgrade