SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-07-07, 09:30 AM   #31
Kumando
Commodore

Downloads: 283
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikaelanderlund
I have tried , but after a week or two in stormy weather I'm lost mainly because of difficulty of keeping track of course and speed.

Mikael
Thats what real U-boat skippers had to face in reality .
Kumando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-07, 10:02 AM   #32
mikaelanderlund
Captain

Downloads: 267

I think real U-boat skippers also used radio transmitters on land to plot the intersection.
mikaelanderlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-07, 10:13 AM   #33
jimmie
Lieutenant

Downloads: 0

jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-07, 11:05 AM   #34
vanjast
Sea Lord

Downloads: 783
Uploads: 4

Longitude is a problem at the moment as the game GMT clock jumps around depending where you are when you save your game.
There is a method of working this out, which I'm still busy with. It just requires a lot more effort, so I'm trying to simplify it.

You can at the moment use the HOUR time difference between the Local and GMT clocks, plus the sunrise sunset almanac. Be carefull of the 2 times jumping around, If you note this you should have fewer problems. The current alamac game time difference looks to be around 4 minutes (1 degree Longitude).

A trick you'll pickup is that the interior sub lights switch from red to white (and visa versa) at the game sunrise/set, irrespective of the weather conditions - You now have your sunrise/sunset times in bad weather. A quick look at the almanac and you get your position within about 2 degrees.

I'll post a PDF when I've finished.
vanjast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-07, 12:44 PM   #35
vanjast
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumando
I red the readme on the mod but i have some doubts, if the ingame map has no longitude/latitude marks how can you fix your position in the game map?
I realised this when I started with the mod, and inserted a Lat/Long grid into the map which is supplied in the mod - the only problem here is the grid colour, not having the colour pallete available and not wanting to do 256 restarts just for colour I chose a colour that is visible over sea.

Quote:
.. And if at the time being you can only fix latitude how is this useful? You also need longitude!I dont want to criticise your work in a negative manner but i think il stick with my manual navigation method inspired by Dantenoc and Corsair till this mod is more complete.
I thought I had this wrapped up until I discovered the games 'wobbly' clocks. My previous reply indicates where I'm headed with this. You can use this method but one has to be aware of the pitfalls, untill I or somebody else comes up with a better Clock method.
Longitude is still calculable to within about 1 degree so far, so it's nearly there.

With SH4 I'm glad the grid IS there, and the sub clock looks centred on the sailing port. Hopefully all the Celestial objects are still accurate. Then I can make an almanac that is specific for each base. this should help get rid of the longitude problem.
Old 05-07-07, 04:12 PM   #36
vanjast
Sea Lord

On my first serious Navmod Career, sunk this ship ~100Km SW of Bergen.
It's nice to see Captain's going down with their ships. Are these heroes still around ??

Old 05-07-07, 09:09 PM   #37
Kataki
Torpedoman

Downloads: 0

hah getting large amounts of tonnage will be quite a challenge with this mod
Old 05-07-07, 09:21 PM   #38
KLARCH
Helmsman

Downloads: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanjast
Longitude is still calculable to within about 1 degree so far, so it's nearly there.
I've yet to try this mod yet but it seems to me that you shouldn't go crazy trying to work around a prob with game code issues, i.e. the game clock. If it's possible to get within 1 degree of actual position, that seems good enough for me.

I can't wait for the weekend, as I plan on setting off in a new career and figure how to do this and play as realistically as I can.

Thanks again for this mod.
Old 05-08-07, 06:39 AM   #39
Kumando
Commodore

Downloads: 283

Quote:
Quote:
I red the readme on the mod but i have some doubts, if the ingame map has no longitude/latitude marks how can you fix your position in the game map?
I realised this when I started with the mod, and inserted a Lat/Long grid into the map which is supplied in the mod - the only problem here is the grid colour, not having the colour pallete available and not wanting to do 256 restarts just for colour I chose a colour that is visible over sea.

But what map is this? Does the mod alter the ingame map or is it a external map provided by the mod?
Kumando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-07, 08:42 AM   #40
vanjast
Sea Lord

Quote:
But what map is this? Does the mod alter the ingame map or is it a external map provided by the mod?
I've placed a grid over the game map (../Terrain/maps/map1(map2) - cannot remember exact location - at work). it's in the RealNavMod.zip file If you're zoomed in to close you won't see the grid, zoomed out you'll see it.
Old 05-08-07, 09:30 AM   #41
mikaelanderlund
Captain

Downloads: 267

Quote:
Longitude is a problem at the moment as the game GMT clock jumps around depending where you are when you save your game.
There is a method of working this out, which I'm still busy with. It just requires a lot more effort, so I'm trying to simplify it.

You can at the moment use the HOUR time difference between the Local and GMT clocks, plus the sunrise sunset almanac. Be carefull of the 2 times jumping around, If you note this you should have fewer problems. The current alamac game time difference looks to be around 4 minutes (1 degree Longitude).

A trick you'll pickup is that the interior sub lights switch from red to white (and visa versa) at the game sunrise/set, irrespective of the weather conditions - You now have your sunrise/sunset times in bad weather. A quick look at the almanac and you get your position within about 2 degrees.

I'll post a PDF when I've finished.
I didn't think about interior sub lights switch from red to white (and visa versa) at the game sunrise/set. I will give your mod a new try this evening . Great mod!

Mikael
mikaelanderlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-07, 09:48 AM   #42
vanjast
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikaelanderlund
I didn't think about interior sub lights switch from red to white (and visa versa) at the game sunrise/set. I will give your mod a new try this evening . Great mod!

Mikael
- I didn't notice this either until a few weeks ago, while testing the almanac times. Although real world astronomy/nautical stuff defines sunrise and sunset differently, The game sub interior lights switch when the sun is only half visible on the horizon, going up or down. This is one aspect that make the times different from the real world almanac times.

The game sun takes 5-6 minutes, from the top rim appearing to the bottom rim touching the horizon. The game light switch is midway, So I'm thinking of adjusting all the almanac times to this light switch time, so all is synchronised.

I'm a sucker for more work
Old 05-08-07, 10:44 AM   #43
bruschi sauro
Frogman

Downloads: 64

This mod work very fine, is very tought....but in this moment I have a small problem.
I'm lost in the Atlantic...where i'm in this moment?
bruschi sauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-07, 12:56 PM   #44
vanjast
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruschi sauro
This mod work very fine, is very tought....but in this moment I have a small problem.
I'm lost in the Atlantic...where i'm in this moment?
Here's a quickie doc that I threw together to help you...

http://www.vanjast.com/NavMod/QuickNavGuide.pdf

Old 05-08-07, 12:58 PM   #45
bruschi sauro
Frogman

Downloads: 64

thank you mate.
bruschi sauro is offline   Reply With Quote