SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop > DW Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-24-09, 11:07 AM   #1
Greenwood
Seaman

Downloads: 112
Uploads: 0
Default Size limit for building a large mission

Howdy,

Just wondering if anyone has ever pushed the limit on building missions for DW? I'm currently building a campaign , and the first mission is going to take a few days of in-game time to accomplish. I already have almost 40 triggers and many other units etc. I do remove unnessary platforms when that part of the mission is over.

I expect there to be over 250 triggers, at least 75 units (they spawn when that part of the mission is triggered - when completed they are removed or killed...etc.)

I know DW is a few years old now - so computers should be able to handle these large missions. Anybody ever tried a massive mission before and was able to play it all the way through without freezing or anything?

Thanks!

Last edited by Greenwood; 11-24-09 at 12:42 PM.
Greenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-09, 01:56 PM   #2
Hawk66
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 36

I do not know the limits but actually, the scenario format is a simple text file and the structure of a mission (viewing in a text editor) is quite understandable. So you could just try to copy&paste units/triggers (in the text editor) and give them just other names etc. to check the limits of the engine.

If you have a big scenario/campaign file, it might even be quite handy to alter sometimes data directly in a text editor later.

May I ask what your campaign is about ?
Hawk66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-09, 03:03 PM   #3
Greenwood
Seaman

Ok, I never thought about editing the text, that does seem much easier.

I was going to make a large 10-15 mission campaign. Now , after lots of thought, I've decided to make 1 mission, last a VERY long time. Divided into objectives, dynamic groups...random events, all with intel and radio messages, etc.

The down side to this is there are some long transits, and testing the mission has not been easy, time wise. Basically I have only two of the 10-15 objectives completed - and I've already used about 60 triggers, 25 units (not all spawn of course) with all kinds of other neutrals, etc.

It's about China attacking Taiwan.

Edit - I'm sure there is somebody out there that has tried creating one huge mission like this, and maybe failed because of limits to how many units, or triggers ... etc a mission can have. otherwise, I would have to divide it into several smaller missions, and that would take away from the realness of the the One mission idea
Old 11-25-09, 01:53 PM   #4
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

I've gone up to 546 triggers.

As for units... I don't know for sure, I'm sure I've never gone as far as 75 spawned at the same time. I've probably done close to that much where only a small fraction actually gets spawned.
Old 11-25-09, 06:45 PM   #5
Greenwood
Seaman

546 triggers! nice...that is good to know. Thanks Molon Labe.
Old 11-26-09, 02:29 PM   #6
suBB
Chief

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
I've gone up to 546 triggers.

As for units... I don't know for sure, I'm sure I've never gone as far as 75 spawned at the same time. I've probably done close to that much where only a small fraction actually gets spawned.
1st off, happy holidays to all and good to see you again Molon, I've been snooping around on xfire and no luck.. hope all is well.. see you soon ole buddy

Back when Molon and others were helping me test my 1st attempt at dynamic MP with 5 platforms, the amount of triggers topped out at around 650..

majority of the triggers were made for the following reasons:

• compensation of missing live players
  • making AI smart, aggressive and informative
  • trigger condition monitoring
  • changes in ROE (to inform AI and live platforms)
  • AI informing humans of contacts (subs go to radio comms, surface / air send broadcast and contact information)
  • AI navigation and search(before and after evasion)
  • AI checking sonar baffles
  • AI speed ramp cycle / course cycle / depth cycle (throw off enemy TMA)
  • AI helo (buoy deployment, passive / active sonar search)
  • helo system repair(component level)
  • random accident(live helo only)
  • Helo fire alarm (custom audio)
  • Interaction with 2nd in command (custom audio)
  • AI depth change while in transit (avoid cavitation, make use of deeper water)
  • FFG air traffic control tower comms w/ live helo(used with custom audios)
geeze, other **** i can't remember..
suBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-09, 02:02 PM   #7
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

Sorry, I've always been streaky with Xfire. When I turn it on it stays on, but when I reboot...

Actually, the last time I shut down, my desktop never booted again. So I'm down to my laptop now, which doesn't even have Xfire. But I can fix that.

Good to hear from you too. =)