SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Special Projects > MoBo - Electronic Maneuvering Board
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-27-09, 04:47 AM   #1
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Uploads: 0
Default more questions re distance and speed

Do you plot the target's speed in the game or do you do it in MoBo. I tried doing it in MoBo, but the connecting line over a 3 minute perod was not long enough to display the distance in a way that was capable of reading since the connecting line was so short. So, before I bring up MoBo, I calculate the target's speed in the game. Then I plug the speed into MoBo. I would prefer to calcute speed in MoBo. How do I do it? (in your example of plotting a basic intercept in one of the posts, the Target's speed is provided. It is not calculated.)

Also, there is one distance button that opens an "x" and you can move the various ships, nodes, etc. around the board. What is that for? How do you use it?.

What is the data button for?

As you can see, I am working on this Mod. So far it is a pain in the butt, but I do not have it figured out yet as you can see from my questions. I am working out the kinks. The other problem is that I cannot hit the broadside of a barn. There is no differnence between missing the intercept and missing the shot, except that missing the shot costs the Navy money. I am going through mponey like **** through a goose.

P.S. Cousins of the gopher in the avatar have sailed into my back yard again! I am fighting a rear guard action consisting of traps, smoke bombs, poison, and gas from a hose hooked up to my car's exhaust.
Old 03-27-09, 08:53 AM   #2
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 53
Uploads: 8

MoBo doesn't care about the 3 minute rule, it calcuates target speed using the TSD formula: Speed = Distance/Time

I plot a target position on the in-game nav map with a pencil X and note the time. Then I hit the accel time button and wait for the target to move a fair distance. Then I just screen capture that into MoBo.

But before you can get an accurate result you must have the correct scale in MoBo. Do you know how to set the map scale in MoBo?

I gotta start doing some videos on how to use the thing, cuz if you're trying it out and thinking it's a PITA, then you're doing something wrong or very inefficiently.

Last edited by XLjedi; 03-27-09 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-27-09, 03:53 PM   #3
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Uploads: 0
Default videos would help

Yes, I know how to scale the map. What is the distance button that comes up with an x used for?
Old 03-27-09, 06:06 PM   #4
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

I'm not sure what distance button you're talking about. There's a data button that allows you to select a contact and enter exact data (including distance) rather than plotting or dragging the contact around.

I'm going out of town for a few days and won't be able to respond back after this evening. I'll try to post an example later that shows exactly how to use two points (with times) to determine target speed.
Old 03-27-09, 08:57 PM   #5
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Alright, so I have a contact and I put an X on the navmap with the pencil tool. I make this first mark at 7:20. I continue on my approach and at 8:14 I make a second mark on the navmap. Usually I'll have a small notepad next to my keyboard and I'll just jot down the X marker number and the corresponding time for each like so:
1 720
2 814

Now I pull up the navmap screen in MoBo. I put a node on mark one, hover over it and press T to enter time as 720 for the node. I plot another node on mark 2, hover over it and press T to enter time as 814.

Now I right-click on the 814 node and choose Connect. I select the 720 node to connect to. Now a line connects the 720 and 814 node.

I hover over the 814 node and press the Y button (TSD tool) and the elapsed time of 54 minutes is displayed on the line along with the target speed of 4.5 knots.

Now I line the target up in my sights, set tubes 1 and 4 for a 2° spread shot and...

Two solid hits! Looks like my speed calculation was correct.

As you can see, the 3 minute rule doesn't really mean anything to MoBo. In this case I happened to allow 54 minutes to elapse between the two observation marks. If you happen to get some crazy result for speed showing up on the line that just means you forgot to adjust the MoBo map scale (notice my MoBo map scale is set for 8.2km to 662 pixels).

...and now I'm off to go turkey huntin, I'll check back in to see how you're doing when I return Wednesday. In the meantime feel free to post questions; there are some real MoBo experts lurking about these forums.

Last edited by XLjedi; 03-27-09 at 09:08 PM.