SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-18-19, 01:38 PM   #1
Capt Codetrucker
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default How Do I Plot My Position On The Map When Using Real Navigation?

I am using the TWoS "Real Navigation" functionality and I am not letting the automatic navigator give me my position. I am using the sextant and chronometer to find my lat/lon, but I can't figure out how to make an accurate plot mark on the SH5 map. How do I do this?

PS - The map is really difficult for my old blurry eyes to see. Is there another one available or am I limited to Google Earth, etc.?
Old 03-18-19, 01:55 PM   #2
Sjizzle
Count Dracula

Downloads: 405
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Codetrucker View Post
I am using the TWoS "Real Navigation" functionality and I am not letting the automatic navigator give me my position. I am using the sextant and chronometer to find my lat/lon, but I can't figure out how to make an accurate plot mark on the SH5 map. How do I do this?

PS - The map is really difficult for my old blurry eyes to see. Is there another one available or am I limited to Google Earth, etc.?
to have a clear map u need to disable from the option file viewer in the UI tab the night filters...
here are 2 videos

Sjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-19, 03:38 PM   #3
Capt Codetrucker
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjizzle View Post
to have a clear map u need to disable from the option file viewer in the UI tab the night filters...
here are 2 videos

I followed the videos and made the change in OFEV UI, but I did not see any change. I know the aged nature of the map is appropriate to the era, but is there a map replacement that looks brighter and cleaner?
Old 03-18-19, 03:51 PM   #4
Sjizzle
Count Dracula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Codetrucker View Post
I followed the videos and made the change in OFEV UI, but I did not see any change. I know the aged nature of the map is appropriate to the era, but is there a map replacement that looks brighter and cleaner?
the videos was for plotting...
got to Silent hunter 5/menu/gui and rename PlasticTexture.dds to PlasticTexture.Back and if u don't like how its look then u can change it back to PlasticTexture.dds
Old 03-18-19, 04:57 PM   #5
Capt Codetrucker
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
the videos was for plotting...
got to Silent hunter 5/menu/gui and rename PlasticTexture.dds to PlasticTexture.Back and if u don't like how its look then u can change it back to PlasticTexture.dds

Thank you for the videos and the heads-up on the *.dds files. I was able to make other changes to my liking too. Another mod I would be interested in would be more grid lines on the map and the corresponding lat/lon numbers on the four sides. Is this available?
Old 03-18-19, 05:12 PM   #6
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Why don’t you have the Lat/Lon on your map? Give us a screen shot!
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-19, 05:26 PM   #7
Capt Codetrucker
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanko6 View Post
Why don’t you have the Lat/Lon on your map? Give us a screen shot!

There are lat/lon grid lines (very faint) at the whole degrees, but there is nothing finer when the map is zoomed which makes precision and accuracy difficult. I will try to post a screenie soon.
Old 03-18-19, 05:37 PM   #8
Capt Codetrucker
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

How do I upload an image?
Old 03-18-19, 08:26 PM   #9
bstanko6
Admiral

If you’re just looking for finer positions on the map, just use your nautical chart. Press E on your keyboard, and look for nautical chart.
Old 03-18-19, 08:28 PM   #10
bstanko6
Admiral

There are no mods that give minutes. You use the nautical chart to get minutes. My video shows the nautical chart I’m talking about.

Old 03-18-19, 11:37 PM   #11
Sjizzle
Count Dracula

in sh world 1 min = 2km 1 degree = 120km or 60 min

maybe this one will help u

Edit:

Quote:
Calculating longitude by comparing time difference. If we have two accurate clocks, one calibrated to GMT and the other calibrated to local time, then it is an easy matter to calculate our longitude from the difference between the two times.

For example, if the difference between GMT and local time is three hours, then the difference in longitude must be 3 x 15o. If local time is ahead of GMT then the local longitude must be East of the Greenwich Meridian and if local time is behind GMT the longitude must be West.

Example: If it is 18.00 GMT when it is 09.20 local time on the same day, then local time must be 8 hours and 40 minutes behind GMT. Therefore Long = – [(8 x 15o) + (40 ÷ 60 x 15o )] = – [120o + 10o] = -130o = 130o West
more about astronavigation here

Last edited by Sjizzle; 03-19-19 at 02:35 AM.
Old 03-19-19, 04:16 AM   #12
Capt Codetrucker
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanko6 View Post
There are no mods that give minutes. You use the nautical chart to get minutes. My video shows the nautical chart I’m talking about.
Thank you. I already viewed that last night when I was researching the subject. One problem I am having with the tool is sometimes when I overlay the tool on the map it kind of freezes where I cannot move the tool, but only the map behind the tool moves. It hasn't happened consistently enough

to identify any pattern. I don't think it would make any difference, but I am using the cursor grid without any lines which is different than the one in the video.
Old 03-19-19, 04:22 AM   #13
Capt Codetrucker
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
in sh world 1 min = 2km 1 degree = 120km or 60 min

maybe this one will help u

Edit:

more about astronavigation here

Ah! Brings back memories! Seriously, I knew this navigation stuff already, but I will never ignore an offer for a refresher course. I am grateful to have your step-by-step guide for SH. Thank you.