SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-16-08, 06:16 AM   #451
skwasjer
The Old Man

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 3

WARNING: DO NOT USE THE 'UNINSTALL' OPTION OF v0.6 and v0.6.1.

Unfortunately, I have just received a message from longam telling me something went terribly wrong while he uninstalled S3D, losing files/data unrelated to S3D. I don't know why this has happened to him at this point and will have to investigate it to be able to confirm it.

I have not experienced this before (nor have others likely, otherwise I would have heard it before), but for the time being I advice everyone not to use the uninstall option to remove S3D. Simply delete the folders by hand if you want to remove it.

I will have to investigate this issue. Until then, while it may work fine for most of us, don't uninstall (or even install v0.6.1 over v0.6 as this will run the uninstaller of v0.6 automatically!!!). In all my life as a developer I never experienced anything like this, and this kind of news is the worst that a developer can hear. I am so embarassed...

For the time being, I will also pull the download of my site.

Again longam, if S3D is the cause I deeply apologize. I hope you can recover your data.

Last edited by skwasjer; 03-16-08 at 06:32 AM.
skwasjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-08, 06:52 AM   #452
andycaccia
XO

Downloads: 261
Uploads: 2

But how do we remove the s3d from menus and the relative key in the windows reg?
Old 03-16-08, 07:32 AM   #453
SquareSteelBar
Sea Lord

Downloads: 615
Uploads: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by skwasjer
Hi skwasjer,

can't confirm this in my case. I removed v0.6 by using the 'Add/Remove Programs' function and it seems that all went right.

What kind of files/data are lost?

So long,
SquareSteelBar
SquareSteelBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-08, 09:55 AM   #454
skwasjer
The Old Man

@Andy, a full manual uninstall requires the following:
  • Remove one registry key depending on your version

For v0.6.1:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall\{6E25BAD9-428A-4FC9-B906-835DBF39D4BF}

For v0.6:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall\{EF0DBD0A-C21C-4F6C-9D89-4AB5400DDF91}

Before removing this key, verify the DisplayName childkey is of S3D...
  • Remove start menu shortcuts
  • Remove the installation folder
@SquareSteelBar, I don't know which files in particular were removed, nor do I think it is a scenario everyone will experience. I have tested this myself hundreds of times on many systems, and had no problems at all. This is just a precaution. I don't even know for sure if it 'was' S3D.

Since v0.6 I have changed some significant things in the installer. Possibly I've done something really bad, that may cause these problems in rare circumstances. Until I have investigated this (tonight), all I can offer atm is v0.5.4:

Download

Last edited by skwasjer; 03-16-08 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-16-08, 10:44 AM   #455
swdw
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwasjer

Unfortunately, I have just received a message from longam telling me something went terribly wrong while he uninstalled S3D, losing files/data unrelated to S3D. I don't know why this has happened to him at this point and will have to investigate it to be able to confirm it.
Hmm, I can use total install to run the installer and send you the post install scan results if that would help.

"you wouldn't catch me on a ship that deliberately sinks itself"- comment to me from a surface sailor.

System:
AMD 6300 3.5 GHz | 32GB DDR3 | SATA 300 320GB HD, SATA III 1TB HD, SATA III 1.TB HD | ASUS Sonar DS sound card
NVIDIA 1660 Super OC | Windows 10
swdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-08, 11:00 AM   #456
skwasjer
The Old Man

No need, I can do that to. Plus, I don't want anyone else risking their system to an unidentified problem (if any).

Other than that, everyone is free to do as they choose. If you want to analyze it go ahead...

I will test it using my virtual machines...
Old 03-16-08, 03:28 PM   #457
Anvart
Admiral

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 1

!!!
Do not clutter up OS register and system folders ...

Moses said: "Don't create yourself an idol"...
Anvart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-08, 03:46 PM   #458
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 10

Well, I recently uninstalled in order to intall the latest version and had no problems whatsoever.

Thanks for erring on the safe side and warning us of a possible problem, skwas.

The best possible thing we could all do, is not to jump to conclusions and ass-u-me anything.

RSM-GIEP-Killflags-LV Tribute-Playable Elco __Peace be with you, Dave.

Digital_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-08, 04:31 PM   #459
skwasjer
The Old Man

Thanks, appreciate it. Without having had time to look at the problem (will do in a bit), I have thought about it the past hours, and can't really come up with why the uninstaller (or maybe even installer, as he updated to v0.6.1) would have caused this to happen. He had mentioned to me that it may have been one of his kids as well, but I really wouldn't want him to accuse his kid. If the poor kid hasn't done anything wrong that makes the situation only worse. I feel really bad over this...

Anyway, I will get to it, and will post the results and a new version when I feel comfortable enough. Maybe tonight, maybe later. I was about to release a new version anyway, so I will take a good look at the installer, and possibly provide an alternative uninstall option to upgrade from v0.6.x. I may even ditch the current installer software and find something else.

Bleh...
Old 03-16-08, 08:39 PM   #460
skwasjer
The Old Man

longam has confirmed (by testing it again) that the uninstall procedure of S3D was indeed the problem. Unfortunately, I have not been able to replicate it. I do have identified a piece of code that possibly is the offending bit. I have modified it and will send a test release to longam. When he confirms the problem is gone, I will release v0.7, together with a couple of new features.

My recommendation to not use the uninstall procedure by v0.6 and v0.6.1 still stand, as I can't pinpoint the exact cause and thus cannot guarantee it will not cause similar problems to you. I will provide a complete manual uninstall instruction in the next days. Otherwise, you can remove all files by hand, and use a registry cleaner to remove keys/info related to S3D.

Just to emphasize, S3D itself is safe to use.
Old 03-16-08, 09:52 PM   #461
longam
Admiral

Beta Version SP1 for window Vista build 6001 is screwing up all of my installations. I have removed it and now this problem has resolved itself.

I totally apologize to all in this mater yet I feel it was a necessary to report for those who need it.

EDIT:It was so confusing to uninstall a program and have it delete a whole drive. I have never had this problem and could only report to the inventor.

Sorry for the confusion but I hope that I have helped individuals in the future.
longam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-08, 10:06 PM   #462
skwasjer
The Old Man

Vista SP1 beta vs S3D beta, and I am the winner??? :rotfl: :rotfl:

Have you retested v0.6.x and no random delete??

Ok, well uhm, I will re-enable the download then. People went paranoia by missing a whole day being able to download S3D

The bright side, at least the result is even more revised uninstaller code...

Today I aged 2 years you know!
Old 03-16-08, 10:12 PM   #463
longam
Admiral

I will test once I get a good copy of my C drive.

Freaking Vista beta programs. Remember people backup your backup.

Edit:I have to edit this final – this was an issue and I’m glad I found it. It was not an issue with S3D.
Old 03-16-08, 10:16 PM   #464
skwasjer
The Old Man

Well, if you haven't tested yet, then I can't activate the download...
Old 03-16-08, 10:33 PM   #465
longam
Admiral

?............................