SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-02-18, 05:38 AM   #1
ouPhrontis
Bosun

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Default Hi-Res Tower Numbers.

Guten tag, also;

You can use 512x512 emblems on your U-Boot -- tested only with TWoS 2.2.7.

So I created some hi-res painted kratur numbers for your conning tower, if you do not wish to do-it-yourself; at request I can take the numbers below and create a U-number for your boat.

Many people may know about being able to create higher-res emblems already, however I couldn't find mention of this on the forums, plus the emblems that come as a mod addition with TWoS are still in 256x256.

I created this in an attempt to capture the hand-painted numbers found on some U-Boots -- first image as an example:

---

---

So; If anyone would like a 512x512 'hand-painted' number for their boat, help yourself to the image above, or don't hesitate to ask and I'll knock one up, they stand up to close scrutiny and are rather jolly, if I do say so myself.

I have the original image in layers and with alpha channels, too; but I have not yet setup for uploading to the mod/download corner; so if you want a copy of the layered/alpha channel images then please ask and I'll find some way of getting them to you.

Kaleun Johann.

Last edited by ouPhrontis; 10-04-18 at 10:16 AM. Reason: finished first draft of numbers so removed old cruft
ouPhrontis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-18, 06:36 AM   #2
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Very nice job!!
Looks real hand painting.

Unfortunately i can’t see any emblem in my current career ... i’m Playing 100% without external views.
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-18, 07:10 AM   #3
ouPhrontis
Bosun

I play with no external camera, too. But it makes me feel warm inside, for the rare occasions that I might go for a brief stroll onto the casing...
Old 10-02-18, 08:51 AM   #4
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Very nice, even though it is my understanding that U-numbers were painted over and bronze eagles removed just before the invasion of Poland:

https://amp.rokket.biz/docs/the_wolf_pack_compr.pdf (p. 72).

...but who cares? I have always been looking for clean, good resolution pictures of those numbers. Do you have all the digits from 0 to 9? Would you mind sharing them with us?
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-18, 09:00 AM   #5
ouPhrontis
Bosun

Currently I do not, but working on it. Once I've completed them; I will share.

I'll try to get them closer to the font seen in the photo, and unfortunately yep as I'd scan-read somewhere; none/very-few entered the war with the numbers displayed this way, though perhaps 'our' boats slipped past the net.

I'm trying to reproduce some emblems described in various archives, too, so will share those. For example, one was of a torpedo bumping Churchill up the chuff.

-- edit --

The font is based on Fraktur, very popular at the time in Germany, but it appears that this particular take on it is rather unique. I'll try to reproduce it.

Last edited by ouPhrontis; 10-02-18 at 11:03 AM. Reason: a little extra info, without adding another post
Old 10-02-18, 12:05 PM   #6
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouPhrontis View Post
Currently I do not, but working on it. Once I've completed them; I will share.
I think you got pretty close with that font, though it is obviously not identical with the one used by the Kriegsmarine. On the other hand, the historical picture you have posted below is so sharp and clean that with little work we could rip the numbers directly from it. Not big enough for a 512 x 512 emblem, but in game a 256 x 256 picture should look just as well. I only wish we had more pictures like that for all the digits...

Quote:
I'll try to get them closer to the font seen in the photo, and unfortunately yep as I'd scan-read somewhere; none/very-few entered the war with the numbers displayed this way, though perhaps 'our' boats slipped past the net.

Yes that, or maybe one day we will have a Spanish Civil War campaign where U-numbers and bronze eagles on the conning towers would be historically correct

Quote:
I'm trying to reproduce some emblems described in various archives, too, so will share those. For example, one was of a torpedo bumping Churchill up the chuff.
If you tell me on which U-boat(s) it was used maybe I can help you: I have many unreleased U-boat emblems on my HD, custom-made and edited from pictures and drawings available on the web
Old 10-04-18, 02:45 AM   #7
ouPhrontis
Bosun

Work is done; see first post, these are available with alpha channels, though currently not up on the mod section.

These are based right off photos of U-boots before the onset of hostilities.

Clearly it's from Koch's Fraktur typeface, but I've not been able to find one that matches it, hence making my own. Why doesn't it match? Likely artist/painter's winged it when painting and then settled on a standard.

Also bear in mind that no two numbers were exactly the same at the time, each had subtle differences (from comparing photos), so I've tried to form some scaling and ratio standards, this was a crude first draft, so as I clean it up and make things more uniform; it'll change.

See original post on getting the numbers with alpha channels.

Last edited by ouPhrontis; 10-04-18 at 10:00 AM. Reason: completed numbers, see first post
Old 10-04-18, 01:07 PM   #8
gap
Navy Seal

Oh, you drew/painted them by hand. Amazing job I must say!
Old 10-04-18, 01:50 PM   #9
skin-nl
KapitainLeutnant

Downloads: 244

Great work ouPhrontis
Old 10-04-18, 03:33 PM   #10
ouPhrontis
Bosun

Danke,

It's a crude draft, but thought i'd just get it done and share it. Ideally I'd share the proper one with alpha channels, I think that'd best be put up on the mods.

Tags
512x512, emblem, emblems, hi-res