SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-20-13, 01:44 PM   #31
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiebler View Post
@Makman94:
In fact, I considered the possibility that the four parameters (and many others) could be read in from a user text file.

However, there are serious technical problems:
1. Different types of variable (integer, float, byte) must be handled differently in code.
2. It would be difficult to provide a range of permitted values for each variable. For example, a value of gc_height = -1 must be excluded (although it might be fun to try).
3. Hardest of all - some variables are encountered more than once within a single sim file (for example, the LR parameter). It required special code to ensure that the correct LR is modified. It would become a very large effort to check every sim variable, in order to ensure that the correct variable, out of several with the same name, was used.

So I regret that it is not really practical to adapt my Thomsen's Parameter App for general use.

Of course, in order to discover which sim value a modder might want to tweak in future, it is necessary only to make a temporary alteration to a single ship (and its sim file) for test purposes.

Stiebler.
i see what you mean Stiebler ,
in my ignorance i thought that the procedure for adding the other values would be the same as the procedure for these four that i saw.

thank you very much for sharing this tool

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-13, 12:31 AM   #32
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by makman94 View Post
i see what you mean Stiebler ,
in my ignorance i thought that the procedure for adding the other values would be the same as the procedure for these four that i saw.

thank you very much for sharing this tool
If you have SH5 installed use Goblin Editor. It can edit any value in the .sim files
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-13, 05:04 PM   #33
Ligne Maginot
Gunner

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 0

@ Stiebler:

When one applies "ThomsenParamApp" on a set of ships, according to instructions, you can expect these to be delayed? I mean, ships are delayed in reaching a waypoint, as these change speed in the preceding?.

As long as I apply "ThomsenParamApp" is extremely difficult to find a incorporated ship, while it is easier to find them when they are not modified (when you start a campaign in 1939).

This is a sign that I did something wrong?

Thanks for attention.

Last edited by Ligne Maginot; 08-07-13 at 09:00 PM.
Ligne Maginot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 12:47 AM   #34
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

@Ligne Maginot:

Something has gone wrong somewhere for you.

Use of the Thomsen Parameter Application mod should have no effect on ships which have not been spawned. Therefore it can have no effect on the time taken for convoys or individual ships to reach waypoints - unless the waypoint is sufficiently close to your U-boat to cause the ship to be newly created (spawned).

Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 02:09 AM   #35
Ligne Maginot
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiebler View Post
@Ligne Maginot:

Something has gone wrong somewhere for you.

Use of the Thomsen Parameter Application mod should have no effect on ships which have not been spawned. Therefore it can have no effect on the time taken for convoys or individual ships to reach waypoints - unless the waypoint is sufficiently close to your U-boat to cause the ship to be newly created (spawned).

Stiebler.
Something I'm doing wrong. This happened to me with the "Merchant_Fleet_Mod_3.2", "MFM-Lite-Beta-v4" and now with "IABLShipsforNYGM_New2".

I will be review the documentation.

I was trying to apply the "ThomsenParamApp" to "IABLShipsforNYGM_New2" (take your advice to use it), but after two patrols, I have not found any of these ships. The idea was to level these beautiful ships with those already modified in the NYGM3_6C.

I have not any right to request you something. But dozens of times I installed fresh versions of SH3 to try again. Not everyone has your wonderful talent.

You could upload a modified version of "IABLShipsforNYGM_New2", please?

Thank you very much.

Last edited by Ligne Maginot; 08-08-13 at 02:32 AM.
Old 08-08-13, 03:42 AM   #36
Neugeniko
Watch

Downloads: 66

Just a quick tip

To delete every file that isn't a sim file from YOUR MODS data/Sea Directory.
1) Windows Search YOUR MODS data/Sea Directory for - NOT type: sim AND NOT type: directory
2) Delete everything from the Search Result.

Works in Windows 7 & 8, not sure about Vista and XP.

PS - It seems the mass of a lot of ships is 0. So the executable just seems to skip them. GWX sim files seem fine. Its TMT v2 that sets alot of the masses to 0.

Neug

Last edited by Neugeniko; 08-08-13 at 05:11 AM.
Neugeniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 01:02 PM   #37
Ligne Maginot
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neugeniko View Post
Just a quick tip

To delete every file that isn't a sim file from YOUR MODS data/Sea Directory.
1) Windows Search YOUR MODS data/Sea Directory for - NOT type: sim AND NOT type: directory
2) Delete everything from the Search Result.

Works in Windows 7 & 8, not sure about Vista and XP.

PS - It seems the mass of a lot of ships is 0. So the executable just seems to skip them. GWX sim files seem fine. Its TMT v2 that sets alot of the masses to 0.

Neug
Thanks, the program runs fine (I also have Win 7). Even I can read in the 'SEARCHPLAINTEXT.TXT' what you would expect to find. But the drawback is to find the ships. The first time, try it with MFM 3.2 and did not find one of the new ones. Whereas if you play with unmodified ships, they can be found as normal.

Maybe I sound a little impatient. But, I tried again and again with no good results (many patrols in different years) and nothing happens.

Whenever I modify a ".sim" either with the program of Stiebler or manually, I have the same problem.

Best Regards.
Supplement to V16B1 (JSGME)
Stiebler4B_Addon_for_V16B1
Hitman Optics NYGM 3.6 (Fixed)

Last edited by Ligne Maginot; 08-08-13 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-09-13, 12:52 AM   #38
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

@Ligne Maginot:
Quote:
You could upload a modified version of "IABLShipsforNYGM_New2", please?
I can make this package very quickly. In fact I have made it.

However, before I release the package for public use, I have to test it. A strange concept, I know, for many of those who release mods at SubSim.

In practice, I would want to run at least half of a SH3 career with these ships in place, and this takes a long time. Patience, please.

Of course, if you would like to test it yourself, with no guarantees, then I can make it available for private download with a link sent by PM.

@Neugeniko:

That's a very helpful tip, Neugeniko. Thanks.

Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-13, 06:47 PM   #39
JeromeHeretic
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 266

Thanks for great tool!

And do you have any news about tuning of u-boats?
JeromeHeretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-14, 10:28 AM   #40
Aras
Helmsman

Downloads: 48

Thanks for this great mod. Can someone post his recommended values ?

Edit : My bad. Suggested values can be found in readme of the App. Suggested values after the help file are :

Suggested values, as recommended by others in Thomsen's original thread at Subsim:
Engine power = 30% of original value.
Rudder drag = 0.02 (merchant ships; automatic increase to 0.03 for warships)
Centre of gravity = 0 (means 'No change').
Surface drag = 0 (means 'No change').

"Though I'm past 240 meters, I'm feeling very still and I think my u-boot knows which way to go ..."

Last edited by Aras; 03-28-14 at 11:19 AM.
Aras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-15, 11:33 AM   #41
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope
Downloads: 173

Is anybody using this Thomsen Parameters App with STZ's Sinking Ships Fix? As far as I understand they should be compatible, if I first install Sinking Ships Fix, and then modify the ships with the Parameters App?
Old 03-11-15, 01:11 AM   #42
Damo
Captain

Downloads: 248

So after a long hiatus, and moving to SH5 for a bit (don't ask, I'm still in therapy...) I'm coming back to SH3 so building up my install again with some old favorites as well as a few of the newer leaps forward since I last 'played' (read spend hours editing, tweaking, testing, seeing new mod, beginning again and never going beyond 1942, meh). Now, my question is in regards to the Centre of Gravity variable that is recommended to be left as is (set as 0). I never really saw much capsizing in SH3, and none in SH5 (shudder <nervous tick>) so has anyone experimented in raising the CG to see if this would lead to increased capsizing, especially in the larger ships? Or have I misunderstood how that variable works?

Basically, this time around I want a stable install that I can just enjoy playing without spending more time in Notepad and Winmerge testing than in game. Obviously if it does have the desired effect I'd really appreciate some input from those that may have tried it, and is there a sweet spot/variable that won't cause capsizing in stormy seas? I like to watch my prey sink and the more spectacular the better. In SH5 the ships just seemed to sink flat which was frustrating and made me very very angry to the point wher......

Ok, ok, I'm over it, really I am. After a quick session on the couch I feel better but if someone could answer before I relapse again it'd be appreciated.

Many thanks,
Damo.

The owl and the pussycat went to sea in a beautiful pea-green boat.
It only took one T1 eel to convince that boat not to float.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-15, 09:45 AM   #43
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope
Downloads: 173

Try sinking the ship with a magnetic pistol torpedo that detonates right under the middle of the ship. That might cause more capsizing.
Old 01-27-17, 11:14 AM   #44
wizardmatt
Helmsman

Downloads: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neugeniko View Post

It seems the mass of a lot of ships is 0. So the executable just seems to skip them. GWX sim files seem fine. Its TMT v2 that sets alot of the masses to 0.

Neug
QFT, I'm having the same experience right now, as I install my version of a "final, definitive install." The app works like a charm with base GWX3, St. Naz etc Extras For GWX, WB's USAM, and MFM3.2.....but with the MFM3.2 Displacement Correction Mod, the Parameter App finds the .sim files just fine, but it doesn't apply the changes.

Any advice anyone could give in order to save me having to manually edit 120+ .sim files would be great

You do awesome work Stiebler, keep it up
wizardmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-17, 01:36 PM   #45
wizardmatt
Helmsman

Downloads: 58

Further to my previous post, from the OP of the MFM3.2 Displacement Correction mod http://www.subsim.com/radioroom//sho...d.php?t=200593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albrecht Von Hesse View Post

I decided to go, one-by-one, through every ship in the MFM3.2 Data/Sea folder. For each one I checked the displacement documented in the .cfg file, then opened up the .sim file and set mass to zero and then set surfaced displacement to the same value as given in the .cfg file.
And from the Parameter App's help file

"No ship of fewer than 500 tons will have its parameters altered, as originally intended by Thomsen"

So when these 2 points are combined, that's the reason I'm having the problem I'm having, I would guess
wizardmatt is offline   Reply With Quote