Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 11-21-12, 04:18 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Major changes at eSim (Steel Beasts Pro)

SBP-developer eSim Games is undergoing major changes, and has massively increased the "firepower" of its team, by hiring new shooters. In return, the head behind eSims foundation (if I'm correctly informed), Al Delany, is somewhat stepping back and no longer leads the team and programming, nevertheless remains available as a general advisor of some sort, and company owner. Business will be directed and organised from Germany now, but item deliveries still sent from California.

What the changes are, and what the future brings, they have today revealed to the public in a newsletter, which I quote in full:

Quote:
Dear Friends of Steel Beasts Professional,

Substantial decisions have been made about the eSim Games team, and it is about time to inform the general public. While I don't like being self-referential, this is one of the few situations where it's our duty to keep you informed.
Some may remember that we were a bit overwhelmed with the positive response in the form of software customizations in the 2006...2009 period which basically forced us to drastically reduce our marketing and sales activity to work off the backlog of customization contracts. I mentioned on previous occasions that this was a "luxury problem" - but a problem nevertheless.

We found new programmers in the form of Lukas Friembichler from Austria in October 2010, and Christoph Keller in December 2010. In 2011 we further strengthened our team with Mikael Persson, responsible for the animations of our 3D character models, and David Collins for additional 3D modeling; I should also mention Tony Jesson for his work on 3D models. You'll see their wonderful work with the next PE release, and I'm sure you'll like it. This summer, Miro Torielli joined the team, and with J***65533;rg Schmidt the fifth programmer will soon be on board.
Ed Williams will continue to direct our efforts in quality assurance, work on sound effects, and do much of the important work for the integration of new vehicle models into the simulation. Raino Sommer too is of course still a member of the eSim Games team, working on his great 3D vehicle models as ever.

However, from January first Al Delaney ***65533;will begin to reduce his involvement. He'll still be around for advice and eventually also some coding, but we agreed that Lukas will be the new lead programmer and that as far as all business decisions are concerned, eSim Games Germany will now carry the torch. For most practical issues, nothing will change for our customers. Copies of the Personal Edition will still be mailed out from California, the web shop will work the same.
But of course we wouldn't make this change if we wouldn't expect to be able to serve our customers better in the future.

Going from a single programmer to a group of four, from one 3D artist to four, and professionalizing quality assurance as well as establishing better team coordination - this is of course a massive change, and one of the reasons why we couldn't release last summer's planned mid stream update.

The upside: We have full confidence in Lukas' ability as the new leader for the programmer team. We can afford to have one programmer - Miro Torielli of Falcon BMS fame - to concentrate on the development of a new rendering engine. It's too early to whet your appetite with screenshots as they currently do not represent the end result. I could say something about our plans, but talk is cheap. When the time is right, there will be screenshots and videos to illustrate what to expect.
One more programmer - Christoph Keller - is in the role of developing fundamentally new technologies for us - a luxury that we couldn't afford in the past, so that's definitely a plus for all our customers once that his inventions have matured to the point that they are releaseworthy. In this case I'm talking about movement path optimizations to handle complex terrain much better - especially when obstacles like walls, narrow alleys, bridges, mine fields, and similar things are involved. I think that we can at least very much reduce a popular source of frustration here.

Mikael Persson is an animator who worked on the original Assassin's Creed, and who is now working on animating our 3D characters. I think we have assembled a good and robust team here that shows a lot of promise for future development, especially for the period beyond 2013. We'll be able to work on several customization contracts simultaneously where needed, and can invest in conceptual work to bring in new capabilities.

There's still a lot to do until next June when we will release the next SB Pro PE version, but I'm confident that we're in a better position than ever to introduce a number of new features to expand Steel Beasts' capabilities substantially:

Aside from the new rendering engine, we will make it possible pause a network session to allow people who dropped out of a session to re-join a session in progress (this will also work for late-comers). As a very welcome side-effect, we made it possible to save any mission in progress as a new scenario file.

SB Pro will no longer be a game of two parties, Red and Blue. Expect to see noncombatants in future scenarios as well as irregular fighters. Dismounted troops will navigate complex villages much better. There will be autonomously acting pedestrians to populate villages, and autonomous cars to drive from one area to another, thus creating patterns of life where villages in SB Pro were void of any population in the past. Scripting the population will be made much easier, without the need to define movement paths - we adapted the established principles in the user interface for this, of course.
Sounds as if eSim is determined to keep the lead in tank simming!

Last edited by Skybird; 11-21-12 at 04:32 PM.

Old 11-26-12, 01:05 PM   #2
dmagnusson
Seaman

Downloads: 94

mlargh i want this 7 mounths to go fast
dmagnusson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-12, 07:14 AM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

The future certainly holds sweet promises.

I do not need new vehicles, but I hope for a playable M1A1SEP, and an interior for the Chally-2, as well as signficiant visual improvements in the muzzle flash and explosions department.

Beyond that, improving the infantry AI is a priority.

Also I hope for imrovements to the anti-collision behavior in urban areas and the movement AI in difficult terrain (swamp holes nearby, forests, water holes).

Since I see SBP as a tank simulator for the most, having civilians and third party AI is nice, but nothing that leaves my mouth watering. I prefer heavy iron scenarios any time. That way I also must not deal with the infantry AI's shortfalls.

Functional arty also is a construction site, so far the Russian and American arty vehicles are behaving like tanks. The arty dialogue also could need improvements.

The latest new sounds they included in their last release did not always overwhelm me. I liked some parts of the old sound suite better. But that is an absolutely minor issue, since the new package still is very good. Other things should go first.

Air, well, I never use it in SBP, it's flight models and AI are too rudimentary, for my taste. I would not even cry if they delete it completely.