Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 05-24-07, 05:54 AM   #61
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikigod
The planes sound pretty good in Battle Over Britain 2: Wings of Victory not as good as in your video but, still far more realistic than IL2.

Various BoB2: Wings of Victory Engine Sounds

At 1:08 in this video you can hear what the flyby's sound like:

At 0:53 in this video more dopler flybys:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly
Why cant the BF109 sound like this in IL2??
Dang, those sound very nice! *drool*
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-07, 06:59 AM   #62
Tikigod
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 28

Here's another good video of sounds in BoB2

at 1:40 you can hear the dive brake of the stuka:

and at 3:56 and 7:08 you can hear more dogfight flybys

Tikigod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-07, 02:58 PM   #63
Radtgaeb
Frogman

Downloads: 58

hehe...pardon my insolence, but it was in fact DVD ROM.

but it still won't install. Installshield gives me an error about my data cab being corrupt. Error 1335, and none of the 'official' fixes appear to work.

Last edited by Radtgaeb; 05-24-07 at 03:30 PM.
Radtgaeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-07, 03:48 PM   #64
Radtgaeb
Frogman

Well, nevermind that previous post.

Remembering some initial install issues with SH3, I decided to pop the disks in my DVD burner tray and now they're installing like a gem. Computers are odd things, no?

See you in the skies!

Edit: Any of you all with 1946....is there supposed to be a F4 Corsair on the title screen? Did this just install PF or is Sturmovik on there too?

Last edited by Radtgaeb; 05-24-07 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-24-07, 04:28 PM   #65
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radtgaeb

Edit: Any of you all with 1946....is there supposed to be a F4 Corsair on the title screen? Did this just install PF or is Sturmovik on there too?
There should be lot of planes in the loading screen. B17, Corsair, the fat german jet, P-51 (IIRC).
Old 05-24-07, 04:35 PM   #66
Radtgaeb
Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly
Quote:

There should be lot of planes in the loading screen. B17, Corsair, the fat german jet, P-51 (IIRC).

*whew* Had me worried.
Old 05-25-07, 03:58 AM   #67
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

:rotfl: dont worry so much mate,

now go to http://www.pacific-fighters.com/en/home.php?skin=S2

scroll down to

1946 4.08 Patch and Dedicated Server Released

and download 4.08m patch

so you will be able to fly online
Old 05-25-07, 08:24 PM   #68
Radtgaeb
Frogman

Hey guys. I'm having a bit of an issue with taking off.

In fact, I haven't even had a succesful takeoff yet...

My plane automatically starts swerving to the left and my wing snaps off before I can correct it.

I now have a logitech extreme 3d pro and have calibrated it (at least, I believe I have...) twice now...what's going on?
Old 05-25-07, 10:19 PM   #69
Radtgaeb
Frogman

Ugh, I have a new found respect for WWII pilots.

I never thought keeping a plane stable would be so much work.

But it's fun!

Edit: Hey, do any of you veterans mind giving a newbie like me some helpful stablity tips? I can't attack until I can keep my plane from veering off course like it does....all....the...TIME!

So yeah, tips would definately be a kind thing.

Trust me, for the longest time, things like Silent Hunter, Total War, Oblivion, and things of the sort have been my area...the only flight sim that I was ever proficient in was "Stunt Island" (http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?...+Island&gwp=13) That is to say, when I was fourteen (2004) I was mucking around with my father's old 486 and found this on the hard drive and couldn't put it down during summer break...ahh...the cheap-graphical movies I made....

Last edited by Radtgaeb; 05-25-07 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-26-07, 01:31 AM   #70
Tikigod
Grey Wolf

All aircraft turn because of the spin of the prop. You have to gain enough speed to straighten out and stabilize the aircraft.

The following are things I do in most aircraft to get them airborne.

1. Apply full left rudder to counter the turning until you get up to speed.

2. Pump wheel brakes until you get up to speed. I usually apply brakes hard if it begins to turn too much. But, the key is to pump them lightly as you apply throttle just to keep it on track. So, when it begins to turn apply brake and hard rudder. As it straightens let off the brake. Repeat as necessary.

3. Don't throttle all at once from a dead stop. Throttling fast without any airflow will just make aircraft turn in place. Throttle slowly and gradually until you get up to speed. If you are in a hurry try the brake pumping method above as you apply more throttle. The harder the aircraft turns the more brake and rudder you will need to apply to counter it.

4. Some aircraft have a tail wheel you can lock. This helps to keep the tail straight until you get enough speed.

5. Some planes have WEP (War Emergency Power). This give the aircraft more boost for short periods when you need it. Each aircraft has an optimal altitude for WEP some are better at high altitudes while others are better at low altitudes. The Tempest has optimal thrust with WEP at lower altitudes (around sea level) So, if you are taking off with Tempest you can use WEP as a kick in the pants to get the plane to stabailze and off the ground faster. (Keep in mind WEP is engaged differently on aircraft. Some like the Tempest you will have to press "W" to engage it while other aircraft it turns on once throttle is pushed beyond a certain point. But, this is only when complex engine management is turned on in your difficulty settings.)

Quote:
Hey guys. I'm having a bit of an issue with taking off.

In fact, I haven't even had a succesful takeoff yet...

My plane automatically starts swerving to the left and my wing snaps off before I can correct it.

I now have a logitech extreme 3d pro and have calibrated it (at least, I believe I have...) twice now...what's going on?
Old 05-26-07, 01:43 AM   #71
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikigod

5. Some planes have WEP (War Emergency Power). This give the aircraft more boost for short periods when you need it. Each aircraft has an optimal altitude for WEP some are better at high altitudes while others are better at low altitudes. The Tempest has optimal thrust with WEP at lower altitudes (around sea level) So, if you are taking off with Tempest you can use WEP as a kick in the pants to get the plane to stabailze and off the ground faster. (Keep in mind WEP is engaged differently on aircraft. Some like the Tempest you will have to press "W" to engage it while other aircraft it turns on once throttle is pushed beyond a certain point. But, this is only when complex engine management is turned on in your difficulty settings.)
WEP works with complex engine management setting turned off.

Also, keep in mind. Like the name says, it is War Emergency Power, it heats up the engine quite a bit if used for long periods of time. And on some planes, you need to be VERY carefull with it as only a few second use can make your engine inoperable.
Old 05-26-07, 02:44 AM   #72
Tikigod
Grey Wolf

Yes, but, I was refering to manual turn on of WEP when complex engine management is turned on.
WEP is in both Simple and Complex engine modes.
WEP in simple engine mode works with just throttle for ALL PLANES like afterburner in jet sims.
WEP in complex engine mode works with either pressing "W" to turn it on or pushing throttle past a certain point DEPENDING ON THE TYPE OF PLANE you fly.

Example: Tempest with complex engine management:
Throttle pushed 100% no WEP.
Press "W" WEP turns on.

Tempest with simple engine management:
Throttle pushed 100% WEP turns on automatically.

Quote:
WEP works with complex engine management setting turned off.
Old 05-26-07, 03:22 PM   #73
Radtgaeb
Frogman

Woah! thanks for the takeoff tips!

now how about the matter of keeping the plane level. Is there a secret method or am I just going to have to practise my rear end off?

Also, do I need to know all of the complex engine controls eventually?
Old 05-26-07, 03:28 PM   #74
Dowly
Lucky Jack

@Tikigod

It depends of the plane. For example, with BF109 you need to press the W when you want to enable the WEP no matter the complex engine management setting.
Old 05-26-07, 10:10 PM   #75
Radtgaeb
Frogman

Alright guys, I'm considering throwing the towl in on this one...I just can't seem to get the hang of flight sims.

Its hard enough for me to just get off the ground, and half the time I just flip (no joke). I know that it's probably just my inexperience (I've only had IL2 since thursday) but I'm just afraid that I'm going to continue to suck at it...