SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-26-11, 03:33 PM   #16
SquareSteelBar
Sea Lord

Downloads: 617
Uploads: 0

Mine Layer
SquareSteelBar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-11, 03:34 PM   #17
pditty8811
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
I agree with you, minelaying was an important, but also dangerous and much hated task for uboats in WW2. It should somehow make its way into the game, and because real commanders (And BdU) only rarely learned about ships sunk by their laid mines and got credit for them, leaving the area afterwards and having the mine dissapear is not a big issue.

That said, you can make the mines stay there for all the time you want it, even if they won't explode unless you are closeby (40km, the are where units are physically spawned and not just traced as abstract entities) and will not get any credit for anything they sink. How? Well, opening SH3 mission editor and adding a german minefield exactly where you accomplished your mission, with the number of mines and spacing you put them.

It can be done, it just will require some manual input from the player, though it could theoretically be automated by a Perl script that asks you for the parameters (Latitude/Longitude, number of mines, spacing) and then writes the minefield into the LND campaign layer for you.

In fact, what the script would ask you is what the real commander would fill in the report to BdU.

Do you have knowledge of Perl script editing? If so that would be awesome.

I was thinking something that would require a script also. But I have never done stuff like that before though I manually mod all the time. Here is a thread I started concerning an idea I had.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=185828

If you have knowledge of script editing or could point me in the right direction I could do it myself.

-pditty8811
Old 07-26-11, 04:45 PM   #18
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hitman has a good idea.

Any scripting program would work.
Python, Perl, Lua, etc.

With Python you can create a stand alone exe that does not require a full install of Python also.
It's free, and easy to set up the whole thing.
I wrote a Python exe that converts specific 3D models to the Collada format in about a day when I first started with Python.
Old 07-26-11, 04:53 PM   #19
pditty8811
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer View Post
Hitman has a good idea.

Any scripting program would work.
Python, Perl, Lua, etc.

With Python you can create a stand alone exe that does not require a full install of Python also.
It's free, and easy to set up the whole thing.
I wrote a Python exe that converts specific 3D models to the Collada format in about a day when I first started with Python.
Thanks I'll take a note of this program. I am currently busy at the momment but I will try to implement it with my dynamic campaign idea.
Old 07-27-11, 04:15 AM   #20
Canovaro
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareSteelBar View Post
That's the one.
Well I really would like it to work out, would be great.
Good luck!!
Canovaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-11, 01:50 PM   #21
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Thanks for all your replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
That said, you can make the mines stay there for all the time you want it, even if they won't explode unless you are closeby (40km, the are where units are physically spawned and not just traced as abstract entities) and will not get any credit for anything they sink. How? Well, opening SH3 mission editor and adding a german minefield exactly where you accomplished your mission, with the number of mines and spacing you put them.

It can be done, it just will require some manual input from the player, though it could theoretically be automated by a Perl script that asks you for the parameters (Latitude/Longitude, number of mines, spacing) and then writes the minefield into the LND campaign layer for you.
I agree it would be easy. You could even mark the mines' positions on the map and later automatically extract these from a savegame and add the mines to the campaign layer. However, I don't think the effort is justified because you probably will never go back and see any effect.

Quote:
Great Thanks a lot. It's not the first time that your archive saves me, SSB! BTW, do you also have this old mod:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom//sho...d.php?t=147445

Quote:
Originally Posted by pditty8811 View Post
Do you have knowledge of Perl script editing? If so that would be awesome.

I was thinking something that would require a script also. But I have never done stuff like that before though I manually mod all the time. Here is a thread I started concerning an idea I had.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=185828

If you have knowledge of script editing or could point me in the right direction I could do it myself.

-pditty8811
Hi pditty8811,

what exactly do you want the perl script to do? Remove a certain type, class, name,...? From what I understand at the moment it seems to me that the whole programming effort is not justified (in many years playing SH3 I've seen only one carrier and maybe five battleships in career mode)

Cheers, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-11, 02:00 PM   #22
pditty8811
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGN1 View Post
Thanks for all your replies

I agree it would be easy. You could even mark the mines' positions on the map and later automatically extract these from a savegame and add the mines to the campaign layer. However, I don't think the effort is justified because you probably will never go back and see any effect.

Great Thanks a lot. It's not the first time that your archive saves me, SSB! BTW, do you also have this old mod:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom//sho...d.php?t=147445

Hi pditty8811,

what exactly do you want the perl script to do? Remove a certain type, class, name,...? From what I understand at the moment it seems to me that the whole programming effort is not justified (in many years playing SH3 I've seen only one carrier and maybe five battleships in career mode)

Cheers, LGN1

Hi,

Perhaps you should beef up your SCR layer a bit and add some models to your Sea folder, never hurts to add ships. I have many ships and I know mods like GWX took the time to add particular ships to the SCR layer for historical accuracy. I like to add historical routes to these new ship models too.

Basically I would like to have a button in SH3 Commander, or not even, just a script to be triggered when a patrol is finished or before a patrol starts. This script would search the patrol log or captian's log for the class of ships that were sunk. This script would then use this information to tell the Campaign Editor program to delete these ships. Only classes like the Warspite or Elizabeth or something like that.

So, essentially this script would be the communication or link from the Captian's log, or patrol log, to the Campaign Editor. The editor would do the rest of the work.

-pditty8811
Old 07-27-11, 04:07 PM   #23
SquareSteelBar
Sea Lord

Uboat Armaments by Dietrich
Old 07-28-11, 01:39 PM   #24
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Uboat Armaments by Dietrich

Thanks a lot, SSB! Your archive seems to be the most complete source for SH3 mods

Cheers, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-11, 01:43 PM   #25
pditty8811
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:

Thanks a lot, SSB! Your archive seems to be the most complete source for SH3 mods

Cheers, LGN1
What is the url to his archive?

I sense additional downloading tasks added to my modding dayplanner.

-pditty8811
Old 07-28-11, 02:57 PM   #26
SquareSteelBar
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by pditty8811 View Post
What is the url to his archive?...
www.get-off-of-my-hard-drive.fo

Last edited by SquareSteelBar; 07-29-11 at 01:10 AM.
Old 07-28-11, 03:28 PM   #27
pditty8811
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:

Damn I don't read German.
Old 07-28-11, 10:45 PM   #28
Salvadoreno
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 119

i see something beautiful brewing.
Old 12-19-13, 02:38 PM   #29
bjorn
Swabbie

Downloads: 28

In Battle for the Baltic (SH4) there is a playable minelayer vessel...

But also many minefields....eventualy stopped playing BFB because of the large amount of time u hav to put in avoiding these killing fields....
Old 12-19-13, 02:48 PM   #30
Sepp von Ch.
Sea Lord

Downloads: 788

Quote:
Hi,

- Does anyone ever released a mod for mine laying for SH3?

Hello, yes, Dietrich´s Uboat Armaments mod and Tomi_099’s VIID minelayer mod.

Last edited by Sepp von Ch.; 12-19-13 at 03:24 PM.
Sepp von Ch. is offline   Reply With Quote