SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-30-14, 12:12 PM   #16
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default !/30/2014

On this date in history: 1649; annointed King Charles I is beheaded for treason just outside Parliament...a practice sadly gone lacking. His last thoughts must have been on his Great Auntie, Elizabeth I, who established the precedent of royal executions when she signed the death warrant for her anointed cousin (Charles paternal grandmother) Mary, Queen-of-Scots, executed 1587. Nothing like a little regal stare decises in British common law! 1862: the Monitor is launched from the Continental Iron Works of Greenpoint NY...the British navy begins remodeling anew...as the old expression "Not worth a continental is reviewed....Hmmm, turrets and armor...ya think! Strangely, the German observers picked up on the extensive use of railroads in the Civil War, welded it to Von Clausewitz...and lost two two-front world wars to the Royal Navy! 1933: Adolf Hitler becomes chancellor of Germany...democracy in action!!? The first episode of the Lone Ranger and Tonto is aired on radio...Move over Old Shatterhand and Winnetou!(written in the 1890's and read by every young German, including young Adolf). Fiery steed Silver replaces Hatatitla (Lightning) and the silver-bullet revolvers replaced redoubtable rifles: Bärentöter and Henrystützen! 1962: The Flying Wallendas discover gravity is not their friend at the State Fair in Detroit Michigan; 1948: Nathuram Godse kills one of the better men on the planet: Mohandas K. Gandhi,(Inshallah BBY!) and it's now a nuclear mess between India and Pakistan to boot. We moderate very discreetly from Diego Garcia. 1968: the TET offensive; a massive surprise attack, all-out offensive began against South Vietnam...the beginning of the end for the post-colonial American empire. That's how it all looks in hindsight; 2014-today: I'm off to shoot my Henrystützen .44 mag. "golden boy"...one of the Sioux/Cheyenne positions at Little Big Horn ain't called "Henry Hill' fer nuthin...is it Winnetou?!HOKA HEY!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 01-30-14 at 03:30 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-14, 02:47 AM   #17
kranz
The Old Man

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
1933: Adolf Hitler becomes chancellor of Germany
thx bby. I was going to post it yesterday but couldn't find the topic. (so much spam on subsim and the mods are sleeping)
kranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-14, 12:42 PM   #18
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Default 1/31/14 politics by other means meets comfort food!

THE OFFICIAL BIRTH OF SUBSIM!!! 1917: Germany declares "a policy of unrestricted submarine warfare"...The game(as we luv it) is on! All ers can have the day off...sort of like opening of deer season in Utah. Without the Kaiser's brilliant "politics by other means", there IS no US...oh and 1606: poor Guy Fawkes is executed for his part in the Gunpowder Plot against good King James I...his "politics by other means" having failed! 1865: GEN R. E. LEE is appointed General-in-Chief of all Confederate armies...as "politics by other means" are about to fail...1929: Leon Trotsky is trotted out of the Soviet Union...his "Politics by other means " having failed...They will fail more in Mexico City when he's really axed from the party 1958: The US successfully launches its first satellite into orbit; the Explorer I...move over Comrade Sputnik!; 1961; NASA launches HAM(what was he drinkn'?) the CHIMP into orbit for 16.5 minutes of primate glory...No monkeying around now Comrade Sputnik! 1971: Alan Shepard, Edgar Mitchell and Stuart Roosa blast off for the moon(ALICE!) on Apollo 14...game long over Comrade Sputnik 1990: McDonald's opens it's first fast food restaurant in Moscow...Кетчуп с фри? Move over Napoleon and Adolf...what "politics by other means" is really all about...he who eats last eats best! hey! what's on the Soyuz menu today... Comrade Sputnik!? and thanks for leading the way too!von Clauscewitz ON WAR: "All warfare is politics by other means"...

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 01-31-14 at 10:47 PM.
Old 02-14-14, 12:04 PM   #19
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default Valentines day: showin true love american style

1778:

Last edited by Aktungbby; 06-08-14 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-17-14, 01:37 PM   #20
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Last edited by Aktungbby; 06-08-14 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-17-14, 03:54 PM   #21
TarJak
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 150
Uploads: 8

Now that is history.
TarJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-14, 11:28 PM   #22
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default 4/25

1507:

Last edited by Aktungbby; 06-08-14 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-27-14, 09:07 PM   #23
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default the worst of the worst!

1865:

Last edited by Aktungbby; 06-08-14 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-27-14, 09:39 PM   #24
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298

Actually Aktungbby the Sultana disaster was more likely due to the boilers exploding. I'll let this quote on both theories do the rest of the talking though.
Quote:
The official cause of the Sultana disaster was determined to be mismanagement of water levels in the boiler, exacerbated by the fact that it was severely overcrowded and top heavy. As the steamship made her way north following the twists and turns of the river, she listed severely to one side then the other. Her four boilers were interconnected and mounted side-by-side, so that if the ship tipped sideways, water would tend to run out of the highest boiler. With the fires still going against the empty boiler, this created hot spots. When the ship tipped the other way, water rushing back into the empty boiler would hit the hot spots and flash instantly to steam, creating a sudden surge in pressure. This effect of careening could have been minimized by maintaining high water levels in the boilers. The official inquiry found that the ship's boilers exploded due to the combined effects of careening, low water level, and a faulty repair to a leaky boiler made a few days earlier.

In 1888, a St. Louis resident named William Streetor claimed that his former business partner, Robert Louden, made a death bed confession of having sabotaged Sultana by a coal torpedo. Louden, a former Confederate agent and saboteur who operated in and around St. Louis, had the opportunity and motive to attack it and may have had access to the means. (Thomas Edgeworth Courtenay, the inventor of the coal torpedo, was a former resident of St. Louis and was involved in similar acts of sabotage against Union shipping interests.) Supporting Louden's claim are eyewitness reports that a piece of artillery shell was observed in the wreckage. Louden's claim is controversial, however, and most scholars support the official explanation
Admiral Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-14, 12:40 AM   #25
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

YUP!

Last edited by Aktungbby; 06-08-14 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-28-14, 12:01 PM   #26
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default 1789 A flick franchise is launched!

The Mutiny of the HMS Bounty!

Last edited by Aktungbby; 06-08-14 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-28-14, 02:07 PM   #27
Wolferz
Navy Seal

Downloads: 52
Mister Christian just wanted some Strawberries and cream.

Cap'n Blye was less than accommodating on that request.

Tomorrow never comes
Wolferz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-14, 04:12 PM   #28
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolferz View Post
Mister Christian just wanted some Strawberries and cream.
Some serious strawberries and cream indeed! Brando directed; acquired the small archipelago of Teti'aroa; and married the co-star Tarita...

Last edited by Aktungbby; 06-08-14 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-05-14, 12:17 PM   #29
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default A bad day for the French!

1821 Napoleon Bonaparte dies in his second exile, aged 51, on the island of St Helena in the middle of the South Atlantic. 1862 a bigger celebration in California than in Mexico actually?? CINCO DE MAYO holiday! celebrating the defeat of Napoleon III's occupying French forces at the Battle of Puebla!

Last edited by Aktungbby; 06-04-14 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-05-14, 01:15 PM   #30
Wolferz
Navy Seal

Downloads: 52
Maybe Lincoln was in cahoots with the three countries that invaded Mexico. Looking to weaken them enough for an annexation perhaps?
It could also be why he took one to the cranium.

Nothing wrong with revisionist history.

Tomorrow never comes
Wolferz is offline   Reply With Quote