Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-15-17, 02:18 PM   #16
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thryckz View Post
I'm a game developer who also manages the server farm so it's my job to know windows and its tricks lol. I'll poke around and see what I can find. I have a few computers I can test this out on
Any news?
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-17, 12:49 PM   #17
thryckz
Watch

Downloads: 190
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Any news?
It's fixed!
The problem was with the installation directory. When I installed in on the second machine running W10 on a partition of the C drive (D drive) it also didn't work. Which is strange since it's an entirely different machine so I started looking around and noticed everything installed directly to the root of the drive has the Read Only attribute assigned so when you remove the attribute it works. This is because SH5 writes to a few files on startup (especially with TWoS).

So, all you have to do is change the Read Only attribute. There may be some people who don't need to do this but in my two instances I needed to do this.

The game will error out with 0xc000005 which is the memory allocated for general access violations. The error it was giving was really what I went off of since it's almost entirely narrowing it down.

Anyway, if the game EVER results in that error when running it as admin. It will 100% be fixed if the admin of the computer removes the read-only attribute from the file. Then the player can play the game and enjoy!

Thanks for the help everyone and sorry for the bother!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My ubisoft account was stolen while typing this and they changed my name and **** so if you have a ubisoft account you most certainly want to enable two-factor authentication. This makes it so ONLY the user who owns your cell phone can login as a second password is required. My password was 16 random letters and numbers so my guess is that Ubisoft had their accounts stolen just now as no one could guess that and I don't have any viruses on my computer as I don't download anything besides steam games and ****

thryckz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-17, 12:59 PM   #18
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi t
Glad to see you are up and working ok.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-17, 03:34 PM   #19
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

It's a pain to say, but to install and run SH5 flawlessly you need to get rid of uplay...Don't do it and get prepared for some serious campaign shortcommings.
Then, I think TWOS is a must to correct all game-breaking bugs. At least I saw nothing else in these forums for a good setup of the game.
When finished and I'm satisfied, I will make personal notes for not mistaking all these brainstorming steps again
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-18, 03:03 AM   #20
The Milkman
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
Hi thryckz
You have a graphic issue which can be caused by a number of things.
Check that you have Direct X 9C working with a new download.
DirectX 9.0C > Download

Check that your gpu settings are correctly setup for SH5
Post #239 Changing The Nvidia GPU Settings

Check that your monitor resolution and the game graphics options are set correctly.

Run Both SH5.exe And Ubisoft Game Launcher Application's As Administrator's

Changing your SH5.exe by going to the compatibility tab and ticking the box to override high DPI scaling behavior is another option.
Peter
Hi,

Im having the same issue. Everything is patched, and i did the GPU thing you mentioned without luck. I downloaded direct x9c with the link you provided but when i try to install it it asks to designate a file path for it. Do you install it in the sh5 folder? or somewhere else?

thanks!
Old 02-01-18, 03:08 AM   #21
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Milkman View Post
Hi,

Im having the same issue. Everything is patched, and i did the GPU thing you mentioned without luck. I downloaded direct x9c with the link you provided but when i try to install it it asks to designate a file path for it. Do you install it in the sh5 folder? or somewhere else?

thanks!
What issue exactly?
Haven't you notice that the solution is posted few posts above and also in TWoS faq and tips section?
Try to understand guys that you can not simply install game into locked "read only" folder and expect that your software will work properly.
Old 02-01-18, 03:22 AM   #22
The Milkman
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
What issue exactly?
Haven't you notice that the solution is posted few posts above and also in TWoS faq and tips section?
Try to understand guys that you can not simply install game into locked "read only" folder and expect that your software will work properly.
Sorry for not being more specific. I'am having the same problem as the orignal poster of this thread. The issue where some texts dont appear and commands dont seem to work. Im fairly certain that it is because i failed to follow simple instructions and install direct x 9 with the game.

Id like to know if i can install direct x 9 after the installation of the base game and wolves of steel mod has already been complete. and if so, how to you go about doing this. I downloaded direct x 9 from the link the gentleman provided a few posts back and when i go to install it, it request me to designate an location to install direct x 9. my question is: Do you install direct x 9 into the silent hunter folder? Or if not where?

Thank you.
Old 02-01-18, 03:35 AM   #23
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Im fairly certain that it is because i failed to follow simple instructions and install direct x 9 with the game.
I don't think so...Again, the solution for your problem is described in post No. 17.
Cheers!
Old 02-01-18, 04:26 AM   #24
The Milkman
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
I don't think so...Again, the solution for your problem is described in post No. 17.
Cheers!
Ok so i right clicked on the silent hunter 5 folder and un checked "Readme" for everything. It went through a log process of modifying everything in that folder to where nothing in there is enabled as "Readme".

Thought this would do it but still not working. I really appreciate the help guys. Im not even sure I did that correctly.
Old 02-01-18, 04:32 AM   #25
The Milkman
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thryckz View Post
It's fixed!
The problem was with the installation directory. When I installed in on the second machine running W10 on a partition of the C drive (D drive) it also didn't work. Which is strange since it's an entirely different machine so I started looking around and noticed everything installed directly to the root of the drive has the Read Only attribute assigned so when you remove the attribute it works. This is because SH5 writes to a few files on startup (especially with TWoS).

So, all you have to do is change the Read Only attribute. There may be some people who don't need to do this but in my two instances I needed to do this.

The game will error out with 0xc000005 which is the memory allocated for general access violations. The error it was giving was really what I went off of since it's almost entirely narrowing it down.

Anyway, if the game EVER results in that error when running it as admin. It will 100% be fixed if the admin of the computer removes the read-only attribute from the file. Then the player can play the game and enjoy!

Thanks for the help everyone and sorry for the bother!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My ubisoft account was stolen while typing this and they changed my name and **** so if you have a ubisoft account you most certainly want to enable two-factor authentication. This makes it so ONLY the user who owns your cell phone can login as a second password is required. My password was 16 random letters and numbers so my guess is that Ubisoft had their accounts stolen just now as no one could guess that and I don't have any viruses on my computer as I don't download anything besides steam games and ****
If its not to much trouble can you list a step by step instruction for how you did this? Cuz i just right clicked on the SH5 folder and unchecked readme. It went through a lengthy process of changing all the files to non readmes.

I tried it out and its still not working. Im not getting this error message you speak of either.

Thanks man apprecieate any help i can get. Thank you!
Old 02-01-18, 04:45 AM   #26
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
If its not to much trouble can you list a step by step instruction for how you did this? Cuz i just right clicked on the SH5 folder and unchecked readme. It went through a lengthy process of changing all the files to non readmes.

I tried it out and its still not working. Im not getting this error message you speak of either.

Thanks man apprecieate any help i can get. Thank you!
Can you run your game as an administrator?
Old 02-01-18, 07:30 AM   #27
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi TM
Quote:
I downloaded direct x9c with the link you provided but when i try to install it it asks to designate a file path for it. Do you install it in the sh5 folder? or somewhere else?
Silent Hunter 5 folder.

This what I see

Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-18, 08:59 AM   #28
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

[Obsolete, skip]

Check your registry \....Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5.....\ if your install path corrisponds to your install in D:\ , if not, you have found the error. Also I would use a simple name without spaces for the game install like Games\SH5. Don't know if that's the cause, but I've seen older games making trouble (not launching) because of that.

Then, your folder in D: is not a protected one, he? If you select all files and go in Properties, are they write-protected?
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-18, 12:43 AM   #29
The Milkman
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
Hi TM
Silent Hunter 5 folder.

This what I see

Peter
Ok so I have that, in your screen. but my file path is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games\Silent Hunter 5
Old 02-02-18, 12:44 AM   #30
The Milkman
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Can you run your game as an administrator?
Yes I have been running it as administer.