SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-06-17, 11:52 PM   #1
Pensy101
Swabbie

Downloads: 156
Uploads: 0
Default MFM not working

I can't get the Merchant Fleet Mod to work. I'm currently using GWX Gold and SH3 Commander, but whenever I try to start a campaign with the mod installed, I get a "SH3.exe has stopped working" error message at the end of the loading screen before entering the mission itself. I don't know what is causing this, but I suspect it might have something to do with the Merchant Fleet Mod Skin Packs and their installation. Do I need to enable and disable them during the campaign to represent skin changes as the war goes on, or can I just enable them all at the same time? Is it something to do with GWX? I don't know what the problem is and I've been dying to try the MFM for myself! Does anyone have any solutions?
Pensy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-17, 05:00 AM   #2
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Hi; did you install the MFM on a clean install (except for the GWX mod)? I highly recommend not installing any other mods, aside from GWX, before MFM. In other words:

1) Install SH3 clean

2) Install GWX

3) Install MFM.

How old is your computer? What are your system specs & how much RAM do you have?

Lastly, are you trying to install the latest version of the MFM, which I released this year? It shouldn't make a big difference but I recommend using it instead of older versions.

As for the skin packs, using or not using them will not affect the system - they are in all likelihood not responsible for the crash. As far as I know, crashes with the MFM usually happen because older systems are stressed by all the new units.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-17, 05:29 PM   #3
Pensy101
Swabbie

Downloads: 156

I have an ASUS laptop from 2014 with an Intel Core i7-4710HQ and 16 gigabytes of installed RAM, and an NVidia GTX860M GPU. In other words, my computer checks out as far as the SH3 requirements are concerned, and then some.
Pensy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-17, 12:53 AM   #4
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

This has got me curious.....Are you starting with a 100% clean, unmodded installation? With no old careers, old install files, etc? Sometimes when I uninstall I have to manually delete a few files in the install directory.

If that doesn't work, try deleting the MFM Liberty Ship folder and files (NLL) from the mod after you extract the entire MFM. The MFM contains a replacement Liberty Ship, and I believe a few people have reported problems with it interacting with supermods that also change the liberty ship.

You can also try adding ships one by one.

Paste the main ship folder in Data\sea.

Then paste the ship's .cfg file in [data\roster\[country]\sea.
Old 12-13-17, 06:05 PM   #5
Dutchie-one
Officer

Downloads: 255

Hello. I think he must use te 4GB patch before he can use your mod.?
correct me if I wrong.

All the best, Dutchie-one

Dutchie-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-17, 10:29 PM   #6
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie-one View Post
Hello. I think he must use te 4GB patch before he can use your mod.?
correct me if I wrong.

All the best, Dutchie-one
Yes; I also recommend the 4GB patch; I have heard of positive results with the MFM once people use it.

I can't stress enough, though, installing onto a clean SH3 install (except for your favorite supermod). No old careers, no little files left over in the same directory from your last install - nothing. Keep in mind that mods unrelated to the game's merchant ships will increase the total stress on the game's architecture....thus, I recommend waiting until the MFM is stable before installing other mods of any sort.

Even a clean install is no guarantee unfortunately; I got crashes with the MFM and the second to last version of WAC that I never resolved.

I am a little surprised you have problems with GWX 3.0; it has worked well on my install with the MFM as long as I install from scratch. I have not yet tested the MFM with WAC 5.0.

Sometimes I can get away with this order of installs; other times I get crashes:

1) Install SH3 clean

2) Install MFM

3) Install Favorite Supermod.

I'm racking my brain, & I will let you know if I think of any other possible problems. Let me know how things are going.
Old 12-14-17, 11:01 PM   #7
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=2888

The memory patch, which may eliminate some crashing issues......highly recommended by Sailor Steve & many other users. Let me know if it helps.
Old 12-15-17, 12:15 AM   #8
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1328

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
Yes; I also recommend the 4GB patch; I have heard of positive results with the MFM once people use it.

I can't stress enough, though, installing onto a clean SH3 install (except for your favorite supermod). No old careers, no little files left over in the same directory from your last install - nothing. Keep in mind that mods unrelated to the game's merchant ships will increase the total stress on the game's architecture....thus, I recommend waiting until the MFM is stable before installing other mods of any sort.

Even a clean install is no guarantee unfortunately; I got crashes with the MFM and the second to last version of WAC that I never resolved.

I am a little surprised you have problems with GWX 3.0; it has worked well on my install with the MFM as long as I install from scratch. I have not yet tested the MFM with WAC 5.0.

Sometimes I can get away with this order of installs; other times I get crashes:

1) Install SH3 clean

2) Install MFM

3) Install Favorite Supermod.

I'm racking my brain, & I will let you know if I think of any other possible problems. Let me know how things are going.
I Iambecomelife
With NYGM work good MFM?