SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-01-17, 11:28 AM   #1
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Default Photobucket wants $399 per year to post images on Subsim

Photobucket to users:
DROP DEAD

$399 a year to be able to link Photobucket photos to other websites. Let me think about it.

People have had a panic attack about the WannaCry ransomware scheme, where you have to pay $300 one time to regain use of your computer.

Now this ransomware wants $399 PER YEAR just to put photos on forum pages....

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!! No.

Dear Photobucket, my terms of service have changed. In order to take part in my computing behavior you must pay me $500 per year starting now. This fee is subject to change without notice. Please supply me your bank account numbers so I can automatically charge your account each month. Otherwise your site is banned from my life effective immediately.

Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 11:32 AM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

I recommend that Photobucket users move all their graphix to another site such as Imgur or Google Photos. Do not delete your account from Photobucket. You might as well continue to eat up space and cost them money on their server.

Also all the graphix you have posted everywhere are now replaced by Photobucket tombstones. Leave them there as lighthouses to warn others away from Photobucket except in important places of future value, where you will have to relink to your new service.

Then be a badass and just walk away from the flaming hulk that was Photobucket and never look back. There's nothing to see there anyway.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 02:44 PM   #3
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 0

I dumped them 6 months ago. Terrible service.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 04:05 PM   #4
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

I still have a account with them but I can't remember the last time I was on there and too be honest I no longer bother with such things like that anymore.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 07:39 PM   #5
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

$399.00 a year, they must think they're something. What TH did they think people were using them for?
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-17, 01:55 AM   #6
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

Terms of service.

Quote:
Types of Accounts, Pricing and Limits

Visiting : There is no cost to visit the Site or to register as a Member.
Free account : Each individual Member gets one free account that provides 2 GB of free storage or space available for your original photo files, or videos under 10min. The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting. If a free account Member exceeds their Content Limit, their account will be immediately suspended and they will need to become a “Paying Member” (defined below) in order to continue accessing their account. You can upgrade to a Plus account at any time.
Ad-free Account : The Ad-free Account offers Members the ability to use the Site without seeing any third party banner advertisements when logged into your Ad-free Account (note, viewers of your images within Photobucket will see ads unless they, too, have Plus accounts and you will continue to see Photobucket offers and announcements). This account level is available for $2.49 / month, payable by the Member on a monthly recurring basis.
Plus Account : The Plus Account offers several paid options that may give the Paying Member more storage, bandwidth, 3rd party image hosting, image linking and/or other services as outlined below. Once and during such period of time in which you subscribe to and pay for a Plus Account, we will consider you a "Paying Member." Please note that all Plus Account subscriptions are billed annually at the commencement of the service. Photobucket may also offer a monthly billing option for its Plus Accounts (see terms and restrictions, below).
Available Plus Account Plans : Photobucket offers the following Plus Account Plans:
o Plus 50 Plan: 52 GB of Storage for $59.99 / Year. The Plus 50 Plan does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting.

o Plus 100 Plan: 102 GB of Storage for $99.99 / Year. The Plus 100 Plan allows for unlimited image linking but does not allow 3rd party image hosting.

o Plus 500 Plan: 500 GB of Storage and unlimited bandwidth for $399.99 / Year. The Plus 500 Plan allows for unlimited image linking and unlimited 3rd party image hosting.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-17, 09:06 AM   #7
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

You do have to log-in every once in a while to keep the account active, else after a period (used to be six months - who knows now?) they delete all of your content, like MediaFire does...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-17, 11:00 AM   #8
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Simple, free, straight to the cause.

https://www.pic-upload.de/

Best of its kind I ever used.

For just quickly posting a few images here or there, so much better. I do not like having to register everwhere for luxury things that in no way I would ever rate as "essential" to my life or life quality.
Old 07-02-17, 11:33 AM   #9
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

First there's one who takes a step others, don't like to do , then the next follow and in the end everyone will do as the first, take money for having an image-bank account on a homepage.

I guess in a few years from now 99 % of the known image hosting pages will demand money.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-17, 12:46 PM   #10
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

My photobucket account is pretty old, and there are quite a few images on there I have lost from other storage. So I guess I'll have to go download everything I want to save.

I have recently switched to imgur as PB was becoming a pain to use, slow load times due to ads, clunky interface. imgur isnt much better on interface, but at least it's clean, few ads.

PB used to be the easiest way to get photos from my iphone to my computer or a website, as Itunes would do things I didn't want it to do, I'm not a rank file apple guy.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-17, 02:58 PM   #11
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW3 View Post
Terms of service.
I still have the account I activated several years ago. When I exceeded 2GB they asked if I wanted to activate a 'Premium' Account for $32 per year. I said yes, as it's not a lot. I think I get at least 20GB, of which I have used around 3GB total. I don't see getting above 20 before I die, so I'm perfectly happy with my service.

If they send me a message changing my terms I'll worry about it as it happens.
Old 07-02-17, 07:41 PM   #12
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

I got the banner at the top of my page when I signed in to PB. Since I did link from it to several different forums I use, and they now want at least $99.99 a year for that privilege, I need to find another site to use.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-17, 03:40 AM   #13
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Photobucket has always been a chore, for me. I accept they offered a service where i could link pictures in forums like this. I would have paid a reasonable price for the service, even if i only had around a quarter of webspace of what they offered for free.

Apart from that logging in was always difficult, if it worked at all. The whole site was spammed with advertisements that also seemed to screw up all action i intended to do, like uploading or linking. Clicking on "library" to get an overview often threw me out, or it took up to ten minutes (no joke).

I already thought of deleting my account. So i tried to enter the site yesterday which was .. difficult, to say at least. Graphics would not load, i was in a kind of text display with blue links, distributed all over the screen. After the fourth effort it worked. I then tried to delete photos and albums, but it only worked erratically.
So i deleted all after hours, and finally deleted my account. This photobucket is not a website, or if it's for masochists.

Any idea for a long-term hosting solution?
Could of course use may home server and make some directories accessible in the cloud from there

edit Imgur test:

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 07-03-17 at 05:26 AM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote