Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-03-21, 06:22 PM   #1
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Default We need a Reality Czar!

The below article coming from one of the media outlets that without so much as raising a question followed the party line and propped up the Steel Dossier as if it was sent by god. What would help more is if the media actually did their job.

How the Biden Administration Can Help Solve Our Reality Crisis

These steps, experts say, could prod more people to abandon the scourge of hoaxes and lies.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/02/t...formation.html

Early in life I have noticed that no event is ever correctly reported in a newspaper, but in Spain, for the first time, I saw newspaper reports which did not bear any relation to the facts, not even the relationship which is implied in an ordinary lie. I saw great battles reported where there had been no fighting, and complete silence where hundreds of men had been killed. I saw troops who had fought bravely denounced as cowards and traitors, and others who had never seen a shot fired hailed as the heroes of imaginary victories; and I saw newspapers in London retailing these lies and eager intellectuals building emotional superstructures over events that had never happened. I saw, in fact, history being written not in terms of what happened but of what ought to have happened according to various ‘party lines’.

George Orwell, Looking back on the Spanish War, Chapter 4

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-21, 11:17 PM   #2
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54

I know just the man for the job!
Old 02-04-21, 03:13 AM   #3
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

^

@ Rockstar some good ideas, but people want to live in their illusions and filter bubbles. You think bstanko wants reality or the truth?
They look for something that pleases them, then look for proof supporting the already fixed view, for enforcers and same-minded people and theories, no comparison, no critical thinking.

No one is immune to this, but the basic condition for a citizen who is more of a citoyen than a bourgeois, is a good widespread education and knowledge, from parents to school.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-21, 07:01 AM   #4
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Of course I would think that the question to ask here is .. what reality? I would question the reality of a reality that comes from a writer for the New York Times.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-21, 07:14 AM   #5
Catfish

Confusing times for Qanon for sure

Old 02-04-21, 07:49 AM   #6
u crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Confusing times for Qanon for sure
AOC is struggling as well. Tough times for all in these days of post truth.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

Old 02-04-21, 08:01 AM   #7
Catfish

Always comparing reality and bogus, and handling it as if that both was at the same level?
Miss Ocasio-Cortez struggles? Because she publicly declares things as bogus as

"the world is run by a Satanic group of pedophiles that includes top Democrats and Hollywood elites, and that President Trump has spent years leading a top-secret mission to bring these evildoers to justice".

And she is not sharing links from right-wing sites like Breitbart and The Epoch Times or QAnon memes pulled off Twitter. Or accusing Congress of high treason, calling Lady Gaga a Satanist and claiming that Trump's "covfefe" was a coded intelligence message.

I'd say she is not quite in that league, 'reality'-wise

Old 02-04-21, 08:42 AM   #8
u crank

Quote:
Always comparing reality and bogus, and handling it as if that both was at the same level?
Miss Ocasio-Cortez struggles?
I was merely pointing out that she struggles with the truth and reality. I don't think pointing that out is bogus at all.

Quote:
I'd say she is not quite in that league, 'reality'-wise
Ok how about Miss Ocasio-Cortez's musings on the Capital riot ...

Quote:
"We came close to half of the House nearly dying on Wednesday... and if another head of state came in and ordered an attack on the United States Congress, would we say that that should not be prosecuted?"
Refering to Sen. Ted Cruz ...

Quote:
“I am happy to work with Republicans on this issue where there’s common ground, but you almost had me murdered 3 weeks ago so you can sit this one out. Happy to work w/ almost any other GOP that aren’t trying to get me killed. In the meantime if you want to help, you can resign.”
Miss Ocasio-Cortez claims that her life was in mortal danger during the Jan 6 riot. She claims that the rioters were banging on the door of her office and threatening her life. Turns out that Miss Ocasio-Cortez's office is not even in the Capital Building. And the person banging on her door was a Capital police officer evacuating people from the building. Miss Ocasio-Cortez's office is in the Cannon Building. The rioters never entered that building.

Are not these the ravings of a person who lives in an alternate reality of her own making? The woman is delusional and needs help. And she is propped up in her delusions by the fanboys and girls who think she is a paragon of virtue, truth and bravery. It is a shining example of the biased manipulation of truth.

― Arthur C. Clarke

Old 02-04-21, 09:12 AM   #9
Catfish

^ your latest twist of the story? Please.

I have to say i am out of this, i am happy those f'n four years are over, and i am TIRED of this bullsh!t. Nothing against republicans, but those who still defend riots and QAnon, and still echo the old long-debunked lies, can go to hell.

Old 02-04-21, 09:31 AM   #10
Sonicfire1981
Engineer

Downloads: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post

Turns out that Miss Ocasio-Cortez's office is not even in the Capital Building. And the person banging on her door was a Capital police officer evacuating people from the building. Miss Ocasio-Cortez's office is in the Cannon Building. The rioters never entered that building.
Why would the capitol police evacuate the cannon building when the rioters weren't even there?
Sounds a bit like T*** tax infomation that, according to him, the NYT did not have and aquired illegally... which one is it?

AOC was in Porters office and rightfully feared for her life... They wanted to "hang Mike Pence! hang Mike Pence!" ( a figure of speech, I'm sure). What do you think would have happened if they got hands on one of their idols worst enemies for years? selfies & signed T-Shirts?
Sonicfire1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-21, 09:50 AM   #11
u crank

Quote:
^ your latest twist of the story? Please.
So when confronted with AOC's actual words and the truth about what happened on Jan 6th you say it is 'the latest twist'. Not a very convincing argument.

Quote:
I have to say i am out of this, i am happy those f'n four years are over, and i am TIRED of this bullsh!t. Nothing against republicans, but those who still defend riots and QAnon, and still echo the old long-debunked lies, can go to hell.
Now I will ask you a direct question. Do you think that I am in anyway 'defending riots and QAnon'? Do you think I am 'echoing long debunked lies'? What this thread is about is some guy wanting a Reality Czar. But what reality? I used Ocasio-Cortez as an example of this kind of choose your own reality but I could have used any number of Democrat politicians or Left wing media types to make the same point. You seemed to have missed that point.

The truth is that there are people on both sides of the political divide who have a problem with the facts and with outlandish beliefs. Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) is one of them. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) is another. No side has the moral high ground when it comes to this kind of thing.

― Arthur C. Clarke

Old 02-04-21, 09:56 AM   #12
Sonicfire1981
Engineer

Downloads: 61

Quote:
The truth is that there are people on both sides of the political divide who have a problem with the facts and with outlandish beliefs. Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) is one of them. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) is another. No side has the moral high ground when it comes to this kind of thing.
I'm inclined to believe that "medicare for all!" has the moral high ground over "Nancy Pelosi should be sentenced to death". Could be wrong, thou
Sonicfire1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-21, 10:27 AM   #13
u crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicfire1981 View Post
I'm inclined to believe that "medicare for all!" has the moral high ground over "Nancy Pelosi should be sentenced to death". Could be wrong, thou
Try to focus man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicfire1981 View Post
Why would the capitol police evacuate the cannon building when the rioters weren't even there?
Are you saying that it didn't happen? Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez says it happened. Her staff member said it happened. Are they lying? She said she was in her office. Her office is in the Cannon Building. Why they did it is obvious. The Cannon building is part of the Capital complex and is easily accessed by street or tunnel. It is about 200m away. It was a necessary and prudent thing to do. Had they not done it Ms. Ocasio-Cortez almost certainly would have said that the 'bad policeman' left her to die.

Quote:
AOC was in Porters office and rightfully feared for her life...
Rep. Katie Porter's office is in the Longworth House Office Building not the Capital building. And next door to the Cannon building. Was that building breached by the rioters? I can't find any reports that it was. Can you?

― Arthur C. Clarke

Old 02-04-21, 10:29 AM   #14
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
^

@ Rockstar some good ideas, but people want to live in their illusions and filter bubbles. You think bstanko wants reality or the truth?
They look for something that pleases them, then look for proof supporting the already fixed view, for enforcers and same-minded people and theories, no comparison, no critical thinking.

No one is immune to this, but the basic condition for a citizen who is more of a citoyen than a bourgeois, is a good widespread education and knowledge, from parents to school.
Glass houses, my friend.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-21, 12:35 PM   #15
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Of course I would think that the question to ask here is .. what reality?
Simple the answer is.......The Subsim reality.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote