SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-12-15, 08:04 PM   #16
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrindre View Post
Thanks Webster. I've done a lot of looking at your stuff but don't understand it all yet.
I will ask when I want/need something.

Right now I'm running the 'vanilla' version and am in Sub School. I need to learn more about operating a submarine before I add any enhancements (mods) to the game.

Thanks again, sir, and to everybody else that's tossed in some input.
well I strongly suggest you use my GFO mod to learn the game, its more of a game fix then it is a mod so you are still playing the vanilla stock game, just with a few changes to correct things. it doesn't change difficulty or gameplay.

I suggest you start learning by keeping duds turned off until you get the hang of things so you don't keep thinking you are missing. sometimes most of your torps may not explode with duds turned on and it may have nothing to do with the angle, however if it hits the ship at more then a 45 angle it can cause them not to hit the warhead trigger and bounce off failing to explode. also my GFO mod fixes many ships underwater draft heights that mean they dont sit in the water correctly causing torps to go right under them and miss.
Old 02-12-15, 09:12 PM   #17
thegrindre
Engineer

Downloads: 55
Uploads: 1

Yes, I have downloaded that mod and am trying to figure out how to install it. I've been reading up on it all afternoon.
I just finished backing up the data file.
Thank you,
Intel core 2 duo @ 2.33GHz
nVidia Gforce 8800 GTX 768mb
4 gigs ram w/4 gig virtual memory
Windows XP Pro w/SP 3
on a 32 bit system
At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap!
thegrindre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-15, 10:50 PM   #18
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Yes, I have downloaded that mod and am trying to figure out how to install it. I've been reading up on it all afternoon.
I just finished backing up the data file.
Thank you,
first you install the jsgme utility, after that you umm, wait hold on let me start over here.

first download and install 7zip if you don't already have it, it is needed to open just about any mod you will download

you can find it here: http://www.7-zip.org/

then download jsgme here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4333

and open the folder using 7zip to find an exe file there, place that in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\silent hunter 4 folder if you have windows 7, otherwise it should be something similar.

now just click the exe and it will open the files there and its ready to use.

click on the big yellow "g" and that opens the utility so I right click on it and select to "send to desktop create shortcut" so I can open it to add or change mods as desired.

now you are ready for any mods you might want so open GFO with 7zip and then copy the contents to your desktop. inside the folder is other folders and the read me that explains what the files are for and all that.

I left out some files for the mod so you should also download this mod to get those files: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1192 and then copy those folders to your desktop

its always best to open all your mods to your desktop first so you can check them and be sure you are putting the correct folder into jsgme or the mod will not work. so the mod folders should have a name and when you open them you should see a folder named "data" or you are using the wrong folder. now back to the instructions?:

now you should have the "Webster's GFO Mod v1.1" and the "Webster's New Orders Bar Menu for v1.5" both on your desktop.

next open jsgme by clicking on the yellow "g" icon you put on your desktop. you now see thre utility and to put mods into it you just drag them from your desktop and drop them into the left window of the utility. you will do this for both of these mods but first you need to open them and select the right folder.

with my mods the folders are all mostly named the same but without my name in front so open GFO folder and put your mouse over the "Game Fixes Only Mod v1.1" then hold the left button down as you drag it to jsgme then let off the button and it is now in jsgme. you do the same for the orders bar and it is named "New Orders Bar Menu"

if you click on these folders you see the data folder there first thing so you always know with any mod that this is the folder that needs to go in jsgme.

now both mods are in jsgme but they are not installed in the game yet so in the left pane of jsgme window click on GFO and select install, then do the same for the orders bar, in that order so the menu mod overwrites some GFO files and tell it ok when it warns you about that. its very common for mods to overwrite each other like that but always read up and ask questions to be sure it wont cause a problem such as alter how the first mod works.

that's it, both mods are installed and can be uninstalled in seconds by clicking on them and saying uninstall. that's why jsgme is such a great tool, it makes installing and uninstalling mods fool proof. when uninstalling a mod, if another mod has overwritten it jsgme will tell you the other mod must be uninstalled first before you can uninstall that mod then you can reinstall that mod if you still want it.

when you run the game you will see the GFO screen on startup and the single missions folders will have dozens of new missions and the german side will have missions and patrols that the stock game never had.

if you have any questions just PM me and if you have mod questions just go to that mods thread and see if the answers are already there or just ask your questions there. if I don't respond after a day or two send me a PM

sorry for the long winded reply but its important for someone new to the game and installing mods to understand all this

Last edited by Webster; 02-12-15 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-13-15, 12:06 AM   #19
thegrindre
Engineer

Got it. Just had to do a bit of figuring is all.

I believe that jsgme is an old version (2.1xxx). I found a much later version elsewhere.
Here's v2.6xxx
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...ighlight=jsgme

Thanks a bunch, Webster.
Windows XP Pro w/SP 3
on a 32 bit system

Last edited by thegrindre; 02-13-15 at 12:25 AM.
Old 02-13-15, 12:11 AM   #20
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Also, it is a good idea to use JSGME to take a "snapshot" of your game files, before you start using mods. That way, JSGME can verify the integrity of your files, when that becomes an issue.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-15, 12:27 AM   #21
thegrindre
Engineer

No problem, TorpX. I always copy the whole game folder, complete, to an external hard drive.
Windows XP Pro w/SP 3
on a 32 bit system
Old 02-13-15, 01:17 PM   #22
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

also a good tip to make the game load faster is to open the data folder and find "movies" and inside open the intro folder and delete the two video files there and that skips the logo videos when the game starts up, saves about 10 seconds load time
Old 02-13-15, 06:43 PM   #23
thegrindre
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
also a good tip to make the game load faster is to open the data folder and find "movies" and inside open the intro folder and delete the two video files there and that skips the logo videos when the game starts up, saves about 10 seconds load time
Thank you, Sir. That was going to be one of my next questions.

Windows XP Pro w/SP 3
on a 32 bit system
Old 02-16-15, 06:04 AM   #24
thegrindre
Engineer

Hi all,
I'm playing Realism on zero right now while I learn how the sim works. I haven't got a clue how to plot a course yet.

I've got a question, how do you get that little triangle in the cross hairs to turn green? I've seen it yellow, orange and red but never green.

Thanks,

Windows XP Pro w/SP 3
on a 32 bit system
Old 02-16-15, 08:07 AM   #25
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3214
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Hi all,
I'm playing Realism on zero right now while I learn how the sim works. I haven't got a clue how to plot a course yet.

I've got a question, how do you get that little triangle in the cross hairs to turn green? I've seen it yellow, orange and red but never green.

Thanks,

The triangle turns green automatically when you have a good target solution. For that, put your sub with the "zero grades" mark in the periscope (up in the lens) when see a target ship. Yellow is a not so good solution. Red is a bad solution. All these in automatic targeting, of course.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-15, 09:49 AM   #26
thegrindre
Engineer

OK, so how do you get a good target solution to make the triangle green?
That's what I'm asking. How do you do it? What do you do to get it green?

Windows XP Pro w/SP 3
on a 32 bit system
Old 02-16-15, 10:04 AM   #27
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks,

forgive me if you already know this but just to clarify, just a few tips on learning that take a little getting used to.

getting ready for your shot:
red means no firing solution, your torpedo will miss the target so don't shoot. orange means not the best firing solution, but your torpedo will still hit the target but I found if you are near the edges of the orange turning to red then your torpedo will miss even though it shows orange. so basically avoid shooting at targets between 80-100 or 260-280 degrees on your periscope markings since these are on the very edge of the torpedos turning range. (to be more accurate, for front tubes that's 80-90 and 260-270 and for rear tubes that's 90-100 and 270-280) these numbers are not as it relates to you but to the direction the bow of your ship is pointed so a quick turn can bring an "iffy" target into a more solidly orange target and get you a hit. I haven't noticed it yellow (but my eyes aren't the best) but anything other then a red triangle and the game is saying you "should" be able to hit the target. green means you should get a certain definite hit if the ship holds its course.

oh, and don't forget to open the torpedo doors first a few seconds before you fire (the letter "Q" on your keyboard) this delay in not opening the doors first often moves your targeted point of impact from the center of the ship to the rear of the ship and causes hits to the back end of ships or even to miss them completely with even the slightest course change by the ship.

torpedos:
the max range on torpedos vary but for most the max range to expect is 5000m and anything over that it runs out of power and just harmlessly falls to the bottom of the ocean. I never shoot at anything moving that is over 3000m if I want a good chance of it not changing course before the torp gets there and if they know I am there I don't shoot at anything more then 1500m away because they keep changing course and my torpedos will just be wasted.

torpedos don't arm themselves unless they can go a distance of somewhere between 350-400m so never target a ship closer then 450m away or it bounces off, because the warhead safety is still on.

if a ship is coming in your direction, it is constantly reducing the distance between you so in these situations, shoot with a little extra minimum distance allowed between you. lets say for example, a fast ship like a destroyer is coming right at you and you fire at 600m, well by the time the torpedo launches the distance may be 550m and by the time it reaches the ship the ship is only 450m away because e it closed that distance. well your right in the area to wonder if it had time to arm or will it bounce off.

course plotting tips:
when plotting a course, avoid any white areas you see on the map, its often a sign of land in that area. you cant always avoid white areas so always go back and double check your path of travel by zooming in to see if there are any small islands you cant see unless zoomed in close in order for it to show. its common mistake not to notice a small island you might run aground on and you can only see these really small tiny islands when the map is zoomed in close.

when you have time for some reading look at this link for answers to most any questions about the game http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=108931

Last edited by Webster; 02-16-15 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-16-15, 11:58 AM   #28
thegrindre
Engineer

Thanks, Webster, you're always a great help.

My question is, how do I get the little triangle to turn green? What do I have to do to get it to turn?

Thanks,

Windows XP Pro w/SP 3
on a 32 bit system
Old 02-16-15, 12:20 PM   #29
HertogJan
Weps

Downloads: 137
Uploads: 0

The triangle turns green when you get a good fire solution.

Be ahead of the target at a distance between 1000yrds and 1500yrds (can be closer but this is a good starting point) from its heading/ course, as the target gets closer to you the triangle will go from red to yellow then green.. when its green press the fire button.

DO NOT forget to open the tube doors otherwise you'll miss
HertogJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-15, 01:24 PM   #30
thegrindre
Engineer

OK, for now... I guess I'm not understanding something...

Here's another question. How do I get supplies? I came up from Perl and am sitting in Midway and I'm out of torpedoes. How do I activate the taking on of torpedoes and ammunition and anything else the ship needs?

Windows XP Pro w/SP 3
on a 32 bit system

Last edited by thegrindre; 02-22-15 at 12:52 AM.