SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-27-16, 05:30 PM   #1
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 74
Uploads: 0
Exclamation Technical Help needed - SH4 vs Windows 10

I have built a brand-new computer (Windows 10 OS, more specs below). When attempting to install "Silent Hunter IV" v1.0, I am getting a requestor that states: "Required Security Module cannot be executed (8016)". NOTE: It doesn't say WHICH Security Module won't execute or WHY.

Allow me to further explain the messages I am getting, and the troubleshooting steps I have taken to install this program.

I am trying to install the game "Silent Hunter IV" v1.0 (which ran great on my Windows XP SP3 computer). This game was downloaded from Direct2Drive, and includes all of the updates (v1.3, v1.4, v1.5 [U-Boat Add-on]). I haven't been able to install the updates as yet because of this problem. Also, I haven't been able to enter my "Key" since it stalls too soon. As soon as the installer finishes, and I click on 'Finish' that message pops up. I did click on the link to 'Securom', and got:
"Intel has resolved an issue related to game failing to launch with game error code 8016 on systems with "Skylake" CPUs:
* 6th Gen Intel Core Processors
Contact system provider or motherboard manufacture to insure the proper BIOS update is installed. For further support contact:
http://www.intel/ip/en_us/support/contactsupport
" . (Can't find DNS - Thanks a heap for the BAD link and no good info about the problem ). If Intel has resolved the issue, WHAT WAS THE RESOLUTION so I can fix it?

NOTE: As mentioned, this is a brand-new computer, so the first thing I did when I got it up and running was to update the motherboard and Intel Drivers. Drivers are up to date as of 6/15/2016.

Hmmm. I may have found the solution (for some folks). After pecking around the different links, I came to the conclusion that there may be an updated driver, and one that will work for my CPU. Here's the easy way to check and/or solve this problem:

GOTO Control Panel/Device Manager/Display Driver, then click on the 'Update Driver' and let the machine 'Search' for a new driver.
One for my CPU was found and needed updating (New Driver = 20.19.15.4444 4/22/2016). Downloaded and installed new driver, then restarted computer as instructed. Did not help with problem - got same message and Error 8016 again.

Uninstalled "Silent Hunter IV", then ran "CCleaner" to eliminate any reference to the program in the registry. Restarted computer.
Did 'Clean' install of "Silent Hunter IV". Still getting the same complaint about a "Required Security Module (8016)"

I've seen this very same problem several other times on the Microsoft Community (with other games), but nothing since last February, and no good resolution. I'll add that I've been able to install many other games, some as old as "Civilization II" and "Dungeon Keeper II" and "Zeus/Poseidon" and others much newer like; "Stronghold" series, and "Anno" series. I've noticed that the newer the game and video intensive it is, the less hassle I get installing. A few of the older games were difficult to install and get running, but none of them gave me an "Error 8016", and eventually installed and ran OK. "Silent Hunter IV" is the last to get installed, and I have run out of ideas on how to do it. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

My System:
Intel Core i3-6100 @3.7 GHz with Intel HD 530 Graphics on an ASRock H170 Fatal1ty Motherboard.
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 10586)
Memory: 16384MB RAM, Available OS Memory: 16054MB RAM (16Gb +/-)
DirectX Version: 12, DxDiag Version: 10.00.10586.0000 64bit Unicode
---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 530, Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, DAC type: Internal
Device Type: Full Device, Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1912&SUBSYS_19121849&REV_06
Display Memory: 8154 MB, Dedicated Memory: 128 MB, Shared Memory: 8026 MB
Current Mode: 1600 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: HP 2009 Series Wide LCD Monitor, Native Mode: 1600 x 900(p) (60.000Hz)
Output Type: HDMI
Driver Name: igdumdim64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igd 12umd64.dll,igdumdim32,igd10iumd32,igd10iumd32,igd 12umd32
Driver File Version: 20.19.0015.4444 (English), Driver Version: 20.19.15.4444, Driver Date/Size: 4/22/2016 12:00:00 AM, 39857152 bytes
Hybrid Graphics GPU: Integrated
Old 06-27-16, 09:41 PM   #2
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Hey Roger. Long time no talk to.

I'm sorry to say that SH4 and Intel graphics don't mix very well.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-16, 08:16 AM   #3
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Ubi paid big money to Sony for SecuROM to protect its game. Unfortunately, it means that many can't even play Silent Hunter 4. On my computer I run a Microsoft improved task manager called Process Explorer. It is as innocuous as a calculator, having nothing whatever to do with game piracy.

But because its author, Mark Russonovich, (look him up) cost Sony billions of dollars when he discovered and publicized that Sony had installed malware on millions (at least) of computers, turning off their CDROM's ability to write to CDR and DVD writable disks, with a rootkit, which became part of the operating system, hid itself from all processes, installed without the knowledge or consent of users and which had no uninstall procedure. Sony was forced to recall muchas music CDs with the rootkit on them. Sony was forced to divulge its evil deeds and fix it as much as possible at the cost of billions of dollars.

So Mark Russonovich's programs found their way to the Sony blacklist. SecuROM, on the startup to the games protected by SecuROM, scans your memory for the presence of any programs on the blacklist. In our case, if it finds one you cannot run Silent Hunter 4.

This is all slimy behavior by a slimy company who deserves not one cent of our money now and forever. How many Sony products will you buy in the next year? Every one of them is replaceable by a better product. Sony has not earned one penny and has not received one penny from my pocket for ten years. That's only the beginning! Even on SH4UBM, where Ubi announced SecuROM was removed and wouldn't bother us, the scanner still works and if I'm running Microsoft Process Explorer SH4 will not run. Of course I can exit Process Explorer, start SH4UBM and immediately restart Process Explorer. It's not as if Sony actually has a brain in their head or had any intention of truly protecting Silent Hunter 4. They just wanted Ubi's money. Ubi is their first victim.

Interestingly, now it is Microsoft doing stupid malware tricks on its own Windows 7, automatically, without notice, knowledge or consent of its users "upgrading" millions of PCs to Windows 10. Now Microsoft is hiding its malware from malware scanning software and the operating system, working from within hidden directories. But nobody is prosecuting Microsoft. What were once vices are now virtues. There will be no penalty. Microsoft will get away with a scheme that makes the Sony Rootkit debacle look like a kid's game of hide and seek. It justly cost Sony billions. It will make Microsoft billions. But not a penny from me. I've purchased my last Microsoft product.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 06-28-16 at 12:52 PM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-16, 03:30 AM   #4
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Default Anyone have a similar problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Ubi paid big money to Sony for SecuROM to protect its game. Unfortunately, it means that many can't even play Silent Hunter 4. Then why would SH4 install/run OK on Windows XP, but not on Windows 10 ?? Is this problem unique to Windows 10, or has it been there all along, but no one noticed ??On my computer I run a Microsoft improved task manager called Process Explorer. It is as innocuous as a calculator, having nothing whatever to do with game piracy.

So Mark Russonovich's programs found their way to the Sony blacklist. SecuROM, on the startup to the games protected by SecuROM, scans your memory for the presence of any programs on the blacklist. In our case, if it finds one you cannot run Silent Hunter 4.

That's only the beginning! Even on SH4UBM, where Ubi announced SecuROM was removed and wouldn't bother us, the scanner still works and if I'm running Microsoft Process Explorer SH4 will not run. Of course I can exit Process Explorer, start SH4UBM and immediately restart Process Explorer.

Interestingly, now it is Microsoft doing stupid malware tricks on its own Windows 7, automatically, without notice, knowledge or consent of its users "upgrading" millions of PCs to Windows 10.
I 'think' I'm beginning to understand what's happening here. There is a 'scanning' sub-program (by Sony) called SecuROM, which is 'supposed' to keep folks from pirating Ubi's programs. . . and if it can't/won't run, SH4 can't install at all. I'm assuming here that SecuROM is the "Required Security Module that cannot be executed", which gives the Error 8016 so the install won't finish. Does that sound about right?

Neither SecuROM or [your] Process Explorer are running on my computer, according to the Task Manager - either as a 'Process' or a 'Service'. SecuROM 'may' try to run only during SH4 install, but 'WHAT' is keeping it from running??

Now that I understand WHAT is happening, the next question becomes WHAT DO I DO ABOUT IT? I've seen on other boards that SH4 + Windows 10 works just spiffy. Am I the 'only' one that is having this problem? If it works for others and it works OK with Windows XP, I should be able to get it installed and working. [Or have I been relegated to the backwater of the war as Cargo Officer on a supply ship?]

Once again, as mentioned in the original post, this is a brand-new computer. Windows 10 was installed (on an SSD HD) as the original OS - it was not upgraded from Windows 7 or Windows 8[.1]. Other than updating some of the ASRock, Intel and other drivers, almost nothing has been added (to the SYSTEM). Why won't it work?

Some of the other games I mentioned in the original post are even more video intensive than Silent Hunter IV, but I have been able to install and run the programs - not always without a hassle. The entire ANNO series is by Ubisoft, and installed and ran without a problem at all - all the games I have anyways; Anno 1404, 1503, 1602, and 1701. All the Anno series are very video intensive, and all are by Ubisoft.

Here is what systemrequirementslab.com says about the Intel HD 503 video capability:

Features: Minimum attributes of your Video Card
...........................Required............... ....You Have
Video RAM: 128 MB [256 reccommend]..... 4.0 GB
..........3D:..................Yes................ ..... Yes
Hardware T&L..............Yes..................... Yes
Pixel Shader version..... 2.0..................... 5.0
Vertex Shader version... 2.0..................... 5.0

'They say' it won't work for SH4, even though it meets (and greatly exceeds) all the requirements needed/recommended (as shown above).

game-debate.com says it will work just spiffy (the graphics get 2 stars, the CPU and RAM get 8 stars).

So, it 'should' work. The only thing I haven't tried is downloading a new SH4 from Direct2Drive (the v1.0, v1.3, v1.4 and the U-Boat missions). I've already paid for the game (and U-Boat), and D2D 'should' have my record.

This method did work for Civilization II - I couldn't install it from the Install CD, and had to download a new one (for free) from http://gamesnostalgia.com/en/game/sid-meiers-civilization-ii. Now runs without a hitch, although the problem was somewhat different (installed OK, but crashed when choosing your Civilization).

I really like to get back to sinking Japanese shipping. Anybody have a solution?

LtCdr Roger Dodger
Old 06-29-16, 09:34 AM   #5
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dodger View Post
I 'think' I'm beginning to understand what's happening here. There is a 'scanning' sub-program (by Sony) called SecuROM, which is 'supposed' to keep folks from pirating Ubi's programs. . . and if it can't/won't run, SH4 can't install at all. I'm assuming here that SecuROM is the "Required Security Module that cannot be executed", which gives the Error 8016 so the install won't finish. Does that sound about right?
Exactly correct. SecuROM runs first, scans your running processes for prohibited programs and only starts SH4 after your computer passes the test. SecuROM error messages are really cryptic and a trip to the SecuROM website is sometimes necessary to sort out the difficulty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dodger View Post
Neither SecuROM or [your] Process Explorer are running on my computer, according to the Task Manager - either as a 'Process' or a 'Service'. SecuROM 'may' try to run only during SH4 install, but 'WHAT' is keeping it from running??

Now that I understand WHAT is happening, the next question becomes WHAT DO I DO ABOUT IT? I've seen on other boards that SH4 + Windows 10 works just spiffy. Am I the 'only' one that is having this problem? If it works for others and it works OK with Windows XP, I should be able to get it installed and working. [Or have I been relegated to the backwater of the war as Cargo Officer on a supply ship?]

Once again, as mentioned in the original post, this is a brand-new computer. Windows 10 was installed (on an SSD HD) as the original OS - it was not upgraded from Windows 7 or Windows 8[.1]. Other than updating some of the ASRock, Intel and other drivers, almost nothing has been added (to the SYSTEM). Why won't it work?

Some of the other games I mentioned in the original post are even more video intensive than Silent Hunter IV, but I have been able to install and run the programs - not always without a hassle. The entire ANNO series is by Ubisoft, and installed and ran without a problem at all - all the games I have anyways; Anno 1404, 1503, 1602, and 1701. All the Anno series are very video intensive, and all are by Ubisoft.

Here is what systemrequirementslab.com says about the Intel HD 503 video capability:

Features: Minimum attributes of your Video Card
...........................Required............... ....You Have
Video RAM: 128 MB [256 reccommend]..... 4.0 GB
..........3D:..................Yes................ ..... Yes
Hardware T&L..............Yes..................... Yes
Pixel Shader version..... 2.0..................... 5.0
Vertex Shader version... 2.0..................... 5.0

'They say' it won't work for SH4, even though it meets (and greatly exceeds) all the requirements needed/recommended (as shown above).

game-debate.com says it will work just spiffy (the graphics get 2 stars, the CPU and RAM get 8 stars).

So, it 'should' work. The only thing I haven't tried is downloading a new SH4 from Direct2Drive (the v1.0, v1.3, v1.4 and the U-Boat missions). I've already paid for the game (and U-Boat), and D2D 'should' have my record.

This method did work for Civilization II - I couldn't install it from the Install CD, and had to download a new one (for free) from http://gamesnostalgia.com/en/game/sid-meiers-civilization-ii. Now runs without a hitch, although the problem was somewhat different (installed OK, but crashed when choosing your Civilization).

I really like to get back to sinking Japanese shipping. Anybody have a solution?

LtCdr Roger Dodger
Most probably the situation is a double-sided one. Both sides are caused by the fact that in Windows Vista and above (Windows 10 is not unique in this regard) Windows system directories are protected by a vicious guard dog who bites if any of a list of unapproved activities takes place from that directory. SecuROM undoubtedly violates several rules there!

Also, SH4's structure puts your mods and mod activation software within the protected \Program Files (x86) directory. Just as soon as JSGME starts changing game file structure, Windows says "not so fast, bub!" And if the game would start, mods wouldn't work.

The solution is to install the game into a directory \Wolves of the Pacific attached directly to the root directory instead of within the \Program Files (x86) directory. Then the guard dog doesn't waste his time barking at your mods.

It is possible that Microsoft's changes have benefited some entry level users who don't have the knowledge of how to protect themselves. But it's absolutely guaranteed that UAC and all the other Microsoft guard dogs have severely inconvenienced all intermediate and advanced computer users. And their claimed protective function has been proven over and over again to be entirely minimal. These guard dogs have no teeth and only bite their owners!
Old 06-29-16, 01:19 PM   #6
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Exactly correct. SecuROM runs first, scans your running processes for prohibited programs and only starts SH4 after your computer passes the test. SecuROM error messages are really cryptic and a trip to the SecuROM website is sometimes necessary to sort out the difficulty.

I did click on the link to 'Securom', and got:
"Intel has resolved an issue related to game failing to launch with game error code 8016 on systems with "Skylake" CPUs:
* 6th Gen Intel Core Processors
Contact system provider or motherboard manufacture to insure the proper BIOS update is installed. For further support contact:
http://www.intel/ip/en_us/support/contactsupport" . (Can't find DNS - Thanks a heap for the BAD link and no good info about the problem ). If Intel has resolved the issue, WHAT WAS THE RESOLUTION so I can fix it?

Most probably the situation is a double-sided one. Both sides are caused by the fact that in Windows Vista and above (Windows 10 is not unique in this regard) Windows system directories are protected by a vicious guard dog who bites if any of a list of unapproved activities takes place from that directory. SecuROM undoubtedly violates several rules there!

Also, SH4's structure puts your mods and mod activation software within the protected \Program Files (x86) directory. Just as soon as JSGME starts changing game file structure, Windows says "not so fast, bub!" And if the game would start, mods wouldn't work.

The solution is to install the game into a directory \Wolves of the Pacific attached directly to the root directory instead of within the \Program Files (x86) directory. Then the guard dog doesn't waste his time barking at your mods.

SH4, and ALL game programs, are installed on an entirely separate [virtual] drive. In my case, all games go to "FUN ZONE" (E:\) Silent Hunter . . . \ . My C:\ (SYSTEM/BOOT) drive is an SSD HD, and contains ONLY system/boot files. Main HD is a 3Tb HD divided into D:\, E:\, F:\, G:\, J:\, K:\, and Z:\ (TEMP/Download)

It is possible that Microsoft's changes have benefited some entry level users who don't have the knowledge of how to protect themselves. But it's absolutely guaranteed that UAC and all the other Microsoft guard dogs have severely inconvenienced all intermediate and advanced computer users. And their claimed protective function has been proven over and over again to be entirely minimal. These guard dogs have no teeth and only bite their owners!
"The more complex the system, the easier it is to MUCK it up" --> Scotty from "The Search for Spock"

Direct2Drive suggests I adjust my Firewall to allow SH4 (and UPlay - Ubisoft's Game Launcher) to bypass the Firewall. I'm giving that a try with the present Install. Haven't tried it yet, but I'll report back on success, or lack thereof, to see if this will fix the problem.

Meanwhile, I'm attempting to download a NEW install file for SH4. I noticed that the new download is "SilentHunter4_v1.3.zip". My original install is "sh4_dd.zip", which installs the v1.0 edition. This is the edition that refuses to finish the install. BOTH the old and new editions of the install are 4Gb in size, while my upgrades (v1.3 and v1.4) are only ~220Mb in size. So those won't work for installing the game. 4Gb takes about 2 hours to download, and failed the first time (Error: Forbidden). Trying again with 1.1/4.0Gb downloaded at this time. If the download is successful, I'll try installing this one, as the SecuROM problem may have been solved by this edition. I just hope my U-Boat (v1.5) upgrade will work, w/o trying to find out where I got it from - it doesn't show up in "My Games" on Direct2Drive.

B Back L8R, and let you know what happens. Any other suggestions you may have will still be appreciated.

LtCDR Roger Dodger
Old 06-29-16, 02:21 PM   #7
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

I understand if you buy a copy of SH4 Gold on a DVD there is no SecuROM to have all this fun with. I use a Direct2Drive version as well and I wish I hadn't bought it. I have mitigated all the bad effects but one: won't run if I forget to shut Process Explorer down.

The one-time use install key I sidestep by copying all the files from my Wolves of the Pacific directory to a directory on another drive I call SH4 Pristeen. I do this before I even run the game. Then I write protect SH4 Pristeen, every file in it. That renders it impossible to run that version by mistake. Then when I get mod soup, I just delete everything from my Wolves of the Pacific directory except for JSGME, MultiSH4 and my MODS subdirectory. then I copy everything from SH4 Pristeen to Wolves of the Pacific. And the last step is write enabling the whole shebang in Wolves of the Pacific.

Instantly, without reinstalling I have a virgin copy of SH4 ready for me to make more mod soup with. And I don't care because at any time I can restore it all in five minutes without uninstalling and reinstalling. If you write a batch file and hook it to a shortcut on the desktop you can do this with a single double-click!

Easiest way to do this within a batch file is to use xcopy!

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 06-29-16 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-29-16, 03:25 PM   #8
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Hi Roger

The specs for your new computer are very similar to mine with two differences. My CPU is an i7 6700 and I don't use the onboard graphics on my motherboard which is a Z170 Asrock Gaming 6+. I also have 16 GB of ram installed. I'm using a XFX R9 380 graphics card. I also run Win 10 Pro. With this setup I've had no problems running SH4 Gold Edition v1.5 at all. the game installed fine and it gives me no problems.

This is your call of course. I would recommend buying either a decent Nvidia or AMD graphics card and install it in your computer. I think this is the best solution for the problem you're having at the moment. I've fooled around with SH4 since it first came out and I can't say I've heard of anybody who has SH4 running well and using onboard Intel graphics, they just don't mix well. You have two pci-e slots on your motherboard (I looked it up) and one good card should solve your problems. Of course, there is no 100% guarantee that you won't have more problems. But that's the chance when you try to play any game on your computer, some will work and for whatever reason others won't.

Like I said it's your call on what you do, but I think a good third party graphics card would solve the problem for you.

Last edited by cdrsubron7; 06-29-16 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-30-16, 03:19 AM   #9
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Okie dokie!

I got the rather lengthy D/L done (a little over two hours, even with Broadband DSL). Uninstalled the previous SH4 (the v1.0 that wouldn't finish), ran CCleaner and cleaned all references to SH4 out of the directory (your install won't be 'clean' if you don't clean out the registry).

Moved the New SH4 D/L (v1.3) to the now empty 'Silent Hunter IV Wolves of the Pacific' folder, and unarced the 'SilentHunter4_v1.3.zip' (with 7Zip) to its own folder (SilentHunter4_v1.3\).

Ran the Setup.exe file and installed the game. Faultless! Then I ran the game from the Installer/Finish screen, and it booted right up (and didn't even ask for my 'Key'). Adjusted the Visual Options, and did the Navigation section of the Submarine School. Started a Career, and played for awhile. Everything's running just fine, including the graphics (not as pretty without Trigger Maru installed).

OK, I'm happy . Now to try to update to v1.5 U-Boat Missions. If successful with that, I'll just be Happy-happy, Joy-joy Then, I can start thinking about installing the Mods (Trigger Maru and RSRDC).

To recap, the problem with installing seems to have been that SecurROM thingie what wouldn't or couldn't run, and stopped the install. Apparently, the new Download (v1.3) does not have the call to that program, so installs OK. The Intel HD Graphics don't seem to have anything to do with the previous failure.

I'll let you know if updating SH4 to v1.5 mucks up the system.

LtCDR Roger Dodger
Old 06-30-16, 06:42 PM   #10
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

I hope you get the game playing as it should, Roger.

Good Hunting.

Old 06-30-16, 06:54 PM   #11
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

DOOM ! DESPAIR ! and AGONY ON ME !

Ran the "SilentHunter4UBoatMissions_100_US.exe" (from within the Installation Folder). Installer said, "Successful"

When I clicked on the Desktop Icon to run SH4, I immediately got that SecuROM stopper ! No way around it with the U-Boat edition I have. Unfortunately, I don't remember where I got it from. I got the game itself from Direct2Drive, but the U-Boat update doesn't show up in 'My Account', and is not offered for sale elsewhere on the site.

I see it is offered as a download by Amazon.com for only Five Bucks. Unfortunately, NO REFUNDS ON DOWNLOADS if the same problem persists. Release Date = March 24, 2008. My .exe installer file is dated 6/27/2008. Its only five bucks, but . . . ?? Is there any place else I can get a download that may be more recent?

You can color me not only p1ssed , but confused as well.

Any advice will be appreciated, as always. I'll await some input from you kind folks before proceeding further.

LtCDR Roger Dodger
Old 06-30-16, 09:09 PM   #12
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Did you get the screen where it asks for your serial number, like if you were installing a program from disk? I've somehow missed the "authorization" on mine a few times, and get the same thing after the Uboat missions add-on download I got for my v1.whatever disk. I also have a Gold Edition disk, and I've got the one version set-up on one computer, the other on another, and me and my boys sometimes have "elimination tournaments"...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-16, 09:33 PM   #13
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Did you get the screen where it asks for your serial number, like if you were installing a program from disk? I've somehow missed the "authorization" on mine a few times, and get the same thing after the Uboat missions add-on download I got for my v1.whatever disk. I also have a Gold Edition disk, and I've got the one version set-up on one computer, the other on another, and me and my boys sometimes have "elimination tournaments"...
No, I haven't been asked to enter my 'Key' for any of the installs, even the one that worked. Usually, the SecurROM 'blocker' stops the program before it even gets to that point. The new download I got from Direct2Drive never asked, but the game worked just fine without it.

Silent Hunter 4 GOLD (with U-Boat included) is only a $19.99 download available from Amazon.com, and is a much later release, so it might not have the SecurROM thingie. I just hate paying for something twice.

LtCDR Roger Dodger\
Old 07-01-16, 11:15 AM   #14
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

My "original" purchase of Silent Hunter 4 was a DVD that I got just after it initially came out. There is no notation on the packaging or disk as to which version it is. I do remember looking at it in the software, but can't recall what it is (1.02??). I have encountered the SecureRom stuff multiple times with it, but what I've done before is, after installing from the DVD (NOT in the Programs directory), I do not attempt to open the game and play. I re-boot the computer and then "patch" it to v1.4 (downloaded from Ubi). I put a copy of JSGME and Multi-SH in the folder, and then copy that patched version to another location for backup. Rockin Robbins even mentions setting the entire directory to "read only" for safekeeping. I will also copy the directory again to another location, rename said directory, and then bring it back into the Ubisoft directory. I end up with something like "C:\Ubisoft\SH4v14" and "C:\Ubisoft\SH4v15" that will be the two "base" versions. I then apply my Uboat Missions Add-on to the copy in the "SH4v15" directory. I think I purchased my download from Ubisoft.

Now is when I try to "play" the "upgraded" v1.5 game for the first time. If I am remembering correctly, I will get a pop-up box that asks me a question about loading something... ratz, I had what it was last night before I slept... someone else will have to answer that. But anyway, if I tell it no, don't load it, it tries to load the game and that's when I get the SecureRom stuff with the Uboat add-on. If I answer in the affirmative to the pop-up, it will then bring up the input pop-up for the Uboat Add-on Serial Number. Once I've done that, I'm good to go. It then loads SH4 v1.5. I will then copy that elsewhere for modding and playing, etc.

I ended up buying a Gold Edition SH4 a while back, when after a re-install of my original SH4, I couldn't find my email with the serial number for the Uboat Add-on. I found it, of course, after the new disk arrived... - Like I said, I now have two computers running SH4, and there's all sorts of fun you can have like that.

Sorry about the rambliong on. Too much coffee this morning...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-16, 01:48 PM   #15
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

radar

Quote:

[SNIP]
Gee, what a PITA, referring to the snipped portion. I never had to go through such hoops with Windows XP, only with Windows 10 am I getting a hassle with this (and only this) program. As mentioned, some of my games have not been easy to install, but none have given me this SecuROM hassle.

I went to the SecuROM site to find out just what I am up against. Rockin Robin was pretty close in his description of SecuROM, and who puts it there. Its NOT an application (file.exe), its more like a library, and (mostly) exists in the registry. Ergo, it doesn't show up in the Control Panel/Add-Remove Program - that only works with applications. Its not a 'Service' or a 'Process' so it won't show up in the Task Manager either. Perhaps its included with the Windows OS (up to Windows 8.1), or it gets installed with the first application that uses it. No mention was made about WHEN it gets installed, only that it is THERE.

The problem I am having is SecuROM is NOT THERE, causing an Error 8016, and halting the install before it gets finished. I'm not really keen on ADDING SecuROM to my system just for this game. Apparently, its not used much anymore. Their site offers a diagnostic 'Tool', but I'm apprehensive about using it.

Quote:
I ended up buying a Gold Edition SH4 a while back, when after a re-install of my original SH4, I couldn't find my email with the serial number for the Uboat Add-on. I found it, of course, after the new disk arrived... - Like I said, I now have two computers running SH4, and there's all sorts of fun you can have like that.

Sorry about the rambliong on. Too much coffee this morning...
NP. I just got up, and am on my first cup just now.

You didn't mention which method your Gold Edition was installed with, nor which OS is on the computer that got it. Did you buy a CD, or did you download the program from one of the many sources? What is the OS on the computer you installed it on?

The Gold Edition comes with U-Boat Missions, and if you used a CD for installation, probably didn't cause any SecuROM problems. The Downloads for the Gold Edition offered by Amazon.com and others are a much later edition (August 2012) than the Download for just U-Boats (March 2008), and (probably) won't have the 'stopper' included - It won't ask SecuROM to check the Disk or Install. The 'newer' v1.3 edition that I downloaded from Direct2Drive provided no hassles with the install, even though the Setup and Cab files were all (Date Modified) August 2007, but Date Created - Oct, 2012.

Thanks for your response. You've given me some ideas, to wit: Download a new copy of Silent Hunter Gold (with U-Boats), and pay the $20 if I really want to play this game. I just don't see any other way around this missing SecuROM problem. If anyone else has a better idea, don't hesitate to post.

Thanks to all

LtCDR Roger Dodger, USCG(R)

Tags
error 8016, install sh4, windows 10