Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 03-16-06, 11:24 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default What is your HOTAS layout for SBP?

Those of you using HOTAS equipment for handling the tanks in Steel Beasts - demonstrate your superior sense for ergonomics and post your layout! What commands have you programmed to your devices, and where?

Mine like this:

EDIT: file updated.
http://freenet-homepage.de/Skybird/SBPPE_CH_maps.rar

All-weapon-related stuff not on the stick, but on the throttle, so that I still can control it when grabbing for the mouse instead. Formation-related commands and emergency buttons I have on 2nd level of the profile.

Last edited by Skybird; 02-07-07 at 08:52 PM.
Skybird is online  

Old 03-17-06, 06:54 AM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

As we all can see, this thread turns out to be a tremendous success!
Old 03-17-06, 09:45 PM   #3
3Star
Watch

Posted this on SimHQ.

-----------

Traverse/elevation is the usual movement deal.

I've a Cyborg Evo, with the main trigger, five thumb-controlled buttons and a hat, and four base buttons, with a 'shift' button optional. I don't use them all.

Basically, the way I've been playing for years, following configuration:

Button 1: Shoot
Button 2: Lase
Button 3: Palm switch/dynamic lead
Button 4: Zoom.
Button 5: Coax
Button 6: Cycle gunnery mode. (Manual, Emergency, Normal)

Hat: Up Ammo select Sabot
down: ammo select heat
left: Daylight/TIS select
right: GAS Reticle select.

I will probably have to change one or two to better access the other ammunition options, but on the rare occasions I want to use TOW, WP or smoke, I just hit Home or End on the keyboard.

NTM
Old 05-17-06, 07:15 PM   #4
deees
Nub

Downloads: 0

I use a Belkin N45 gamepad that was modifed for one-handed use in FPS, but I find it ergonomic and it has two small analog sticks so I'm using it in SBPE along with a CH Fighterstick. See link for picture.

http://www.albumtown.com/data/e2d524...69_p969364.jpg

My configuration for both controllers is:

deees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-06, 05:39 AM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

Good craftsmanship!
Old 06-02-06, 04:14 PM   #6
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 0

I think I have to buy this sim. Has anyone made a Thrustmaster Cougar setup for this thing yet? I assume I will be the first to do so.

-S
Old 06-03-06, 04:56 AM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

For a beginning, try or ask here:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/index.php...ghlight=cougar

http://www.steelbeasts.com/index.php...ghlight=cougar

And yes, you really have to buy this sim!
Old 06-03-06, 07:17 PM   #8
Winston
Wild Night in Bangkok

Downloads: 5

You know Skybird, I’ve been thinking about getting a tank simulation for a long time now. I played the T-72 demo and it was not bad but I’m in to sims in a big way and SB Pro PE looks like it takes things to a higher level of realism. Recreantly my simulation experience has been with Sub Command/Dangerous Waters and Lock On: Flaming Cliffs. Both of these I play every day when I get time to relax a bit on my PC. It makes sense to get a land based simulation as I have both sea and air in the bag. I’d then be able to enjoy a full spectrum of warfare simulations.
I have a few questions though. When first getting both Lock on & Sub Command I had no knowledge of these simulations next to having an interest in the subject field. I found a lot of satisfaction in learning to play both these simulations as there are many layers of skills to master. I just love finding something new even after a few months of owning something. Does this simulation have this depth?
Also what’s the documentation like out of the box? Will it explain all I need to know or will I find my self relying on on-line resources? It’s not a problem if that’s the case, just I’ve always had a fetish for large manuals that I can enjoy away from the PC.
My last question is about muti-player. Is there a lot of on-line action? Are there on-line ‘armies’ you can join to find regular fun?

Winston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-06, 08:50 PM   #9
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston
You know Skybird, I’ve been thinking about getting a tank simulation for a long time now. I played the T-72 demo and it was not bad but I’m in to sims in a big way and SB Pro PE looks like it takes things to a higher level of realism. Recreantly my simulation experience has been with Sub Command/Dangerous Waters and Lock On: Flaming Cliffs. Both of these I play every day when I get time to relax a bit on my PC. It makes sense to get a land based simulation as I have both sea and air in the bag. I’d then be able to enjoy a full spectrum of warfare simulations.
I have a few questions though. When first getting both Lock on & Sub Command I had no knowledge of these simulations next to having an interest in the subject field. I found a lot of satisfaction in learning to play both these simulations as there are many layers of skills to master. I just love finding something new even after a few months of owning something. Does this simulation have this depth?
I would say yes, although it is a different quality of complexity. In Sub Command, even more in Dangerous Waters and hardcore flight sims (I have been a Falconeer for many years), handling the simulated technology is a complex affair. Handling the tanks in SBT is less complex (which does not mean it is not realistic), in this sim the learning curve mainly comes from a.) tactical challenges and b.) learning to fight with reduced tank systems due to battle damage. To learn how to plan and conduct a good battle is not the easiest thing. Not that the tools for that are difficult (they are very good indeed), but because you really need to adopt yourself to tactics from a tanker'S eye. The sim does not make compromises when it comes to planning arty strikes, for example, and thus it seems to be a frustrating affair, until you have learned to get it right. The problem is that in reality, the procedures very much are the same. Remember, this is no game, but a training tool for pros. they pay 18000 dollars per clasroom license, for very much the identical software you will buy. Formation cohesion, mutual fire support, and overall strategy and tactics are no self-running shows, you need to read the map correctly and know what you are doing/planning. In this regard, the sim is challenging. Newcomers often also underestimate the importance to learn how to operate the gun when major support systems are already gone. hitting target is easy with full stabalization, laser range finder and automatic lead, but once one or more of these are gone, more and more handling routine and experience come into play. It's fair to assure you that the sim really will give you challenges not only for months, but probably years. It depends on the mission scenario. It can be a stupid shooting gallery, or a highly complex and dynamic nightmare, if the designers knows his job. if a mission is clever thought out, you do not realize that it is not a human you are fighting against. Many people even say that single player is even more rewarding in this sim than multiplayer.

Quote:
Also what’s the documentation like out of the box? Will it explain all I need to know or will I find my self relying on on-line resources?It’s not a problem if that’s the case, just I’ve always had a fetish for large manuals that I can enjoy away from the PC.
I have sympathy for that, for I like manuals like that of DW and F4 myself, but SBP - only gives you the basics in a short manual, and that manual even is not as good as that from the first SB. I wrote in my review that this is the only real complaint I have about the sim. Nevertheless, the sim has plenty of tutorials, you must not fear that essentials are hidden from you. Let the mediocre manual not hinder you, really. The manuals alos do not cover the Leo1 and the australian vehicles, for they entered the sim - due to late arriving demand by the Australian army - relatively late. Addon lectures for these are in the making by the community. Also, the community is very helpful and very much alive. Any questions are helped out, really.

Quote:
My last question is about muti-player. Is there a lot of on-line action? Are there on-line ‘armies’ you can join to find regular fun?
Yes, but I cannot comment on that, since I never play online. I only onow about that from what they post about thewir latest online adventures in their forum. For SB1, they even had set up online campaigns that last for months. The community of Steel beasts is very much hardcore oriented and you really could think of them as land-based pendants to those communities for SC or DW or Falcon, maybe they are even more hardcore, it is possible - many of those guys are still active or ex-tankers.

Finally i take the freedom to recommend you to read my indepth-review which really should answer all your questions. Also, the major bugs I mentioned at the end, are already patched. the support and further addons and developement is planned to go on for several years. Most people played the first SB for years, really, and I have no doubt that it is not different with this sim. It's the best and most ommersive thing that I ever stumbled over, with the only exception of Falcon 4.

You can find the review, an interesting interview with the developer, and further ressources in the SBP-sticky on top of this forum.

Oh, and mission editor is great, the best beside that of Flashpoint, imo. Also, missions are available from the community. the review answers all questions you may have about details on this, and other things, really.

Last edited by Skybird; 06-03-06 at 09:01 PM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-06, 10:41 PM   #10
Winston
Wild Night in Bangkok

Downloads: 5

Righto, Thanks for the info Skybird. I think it's time to brake out my little plastic friend and order the bugger.

Edit: I forgot to add that I have a Saitek X52 so as soon as I get a handel on things I'll be sure to post info on it here.

Edit 2: (11/06)Came though the post on Friday when out at work. Been learning it in between the world cup games and so far very happy, just the kind of thing I'm looking for. Been working on a profile for the x52 but it's going to take a little while as it's the first time I've had to do it from scratch and I want to make it as ergonomic and logical as I can.

Last edited by Winston; 06-11-06 at 01:29 AM.
Winston is offline   Reply With Quote