SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-09-14, 09:28 AM   #1
Von Tonner
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 0
Default Is Lorient a bridge too far?

Based in Lorient and driving a V11B (1942) I was given CA 73 as my patrol area. I have never been in these waters before so other than it was a heck of a trip and I need to conserve fuel I did not know what to expect.

What I can say on arriving on post apart from the absolute crappy weather and the shallow waters (I prefer to operate in 1,000 m) is that it appeared that ALL vessels picked up by my sonar man appeared to be underway at standard or full speed making it difficult given that I need to conserve fuel to get into a position of attack.

One night however, a liner with all lights on passed in what was a very tempting position. Given that it was running with all lights I let it pass. I wish now I had not, as I have read that Hitler put a price on liners. Plus, vessels on the East coast of the States were not so inclined to run darkened. In addition, CO's of U-Boats were NOT, in 1940. restrained by the rules or requirements in establishing a vessel's nationality before attacking.

Having sunk a tanker which cost a lot of fuel to catch I asked my navigator to give me an estimate on how far we could travel on 1/3. His report was that we were over 3,000km short of Lorient on surface. I realise we could travel submerged and therefore add to that but still. It is risky and could cost me my boat.

Here is my question. A milk cow U461 (playing GWX) arrives on duty (CC61) on the 10th April 1942. It is currently 26 March 1942 and it will take me at least 9 to 11 days to reach the area.... I might have to wait out a few days but I have never in game connected with a "milk cow".

For those that have, what is the procedure. Must my sonar man find her?

I must admit I am quite excited by this opportunity as I have the choice of returning to the East coast and extending my stay.
Von Tonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-14, 11:07 AM   #2
allievo
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

After you get within hydrophone range with U-461, dive and start listening for a slow warship because U-tankers are programmed in GWX to move very slowly along a fixed pattern.
You have two ways to dock at a milk cow.
1. You have to approach the particular U-tanker within 25 km, then exit mission and click on dock at U-461.
2. If you like playing realistically, you might want to manoeuvre your U-boat right next to the supply boat and exit patrol.
However, speaking about realism, keep in mind if you resupply at a milk cow, the game will consider it as docking at a base so you'll get complete repair, and full torpedo load-out and you can restart from the tanker one month after docking!
I advise you to checkh.sie's Realism- and gameplay-related hardcode fixes for SH3.EXE
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=174225
It includes (among other useful fixes) a special U-tanker mod which makes resupplying historically accurate.
Old 09-09-14, 11:34 AM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Tonner View Post
One night however, a liner with all lights on passed in what was a very tempting position. Given that it was running with all lights I let it pass. I wish now I had not, as I have read that Hitler put a price on liners. Plus, vessels on the East coast of the States were not so inclined to run darkened. In addition, CO's of U-Boats were NOT, in 1940. restrained by the rules or requirements in establishing a vessel's nationality before attacking.
Unfortunately the game doesn't care about any of those things. If you sink a neutral it will subract renown from your total rather than add it. That can be changed by editing but I thought you should be aware of the way it works in SH3.
Old 09-12-14, 09:51 AM   #4
Von Tonner
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Unfortunately the game doesn't care about any of those things. If you sink a neutral it will subract renown from your total rather than add it. That can be changed by editing but I thought you should be aware of the way it works in SH3.
Thanks Sailor Steve, I understand the reason why in game there is a renown penalty for sinking neutrals and I would not want to change it as I feel it would take away some of the "suspense" from the game. No matter how frustrated I may become at finding nothing but neutrals.

As an aside however, I found it interesting that Hitler's thinking was if neutrals were to be accorded their status the English would just convert their mercantile fleet to any given neutral country by surreptitiously flying that countries flag.

I did a "google" however to try and get an idea of how many neutral ships were sunk. Could not get any definitive number but what did come up was that the Irish mercantile fleet really took a hammering as a neutral in the 2nd World War. The luck of the Irish as they say.
Old 09-12-14, 10:01 AM   #5
Von Tonner
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by allievo View Post
After you get within hydrophone range with U-461, dive and start listening for a slow warship because U-tankers are programmed in GWX to move very slowly along a fixed pattern.
You have two ways to dock at a milk cow.
1. You have to approach the particular U-tanker within 25 km, then exit mission and click on dock at U-461.
2. If you like playing realistically, you might want to manoeuvre your U-boat right next to the supply boat and exit patrol.
However, speaking about realism, keep in mind if you resupply at a milk cow, the game will consider it as docking at a base so you'll get complete repair, and full torpedo load-out and you can restart from the tanker one month after docking!
I advise you to checkh.sie's Realism- and gameplay-related hardcode fixes for SH3.EXE
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=174225
It includes (among other useful fixes) a special U-tanker mod which makes resupplying historically accurate.
Thanks Allievo for the info it helped greatly. I had to wait out 4 days for the milk cow to come on station but the weather was really lousy so I was not going to risk a "coming aside" and did an 'escape'.

I do note that U-461 is there for another 8 months!!!! Can I come back for a refill????? Boy, sitting off New York I could rack up a hell of a tonnage with father xmas aka U-461
Old 09-12-14, 11:23 AM   #6
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Tonner View Post
Can I come back for a refill?????
I'm pretty sure the game will let you reload ad infinitum. In real life the milchkuh could only supply an operational boat with four torpedoes and enough fuel to get home. Also, by the end of 1943 they had almost all been sunk.
Old 09-12-14, 12:15 PM   #7
Von Tonner
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I'm pretty sure the game will let you reload ad infinitum. In real life the milchkuh could only supply an operational boat with four torpedoes and enough fuel to get home. Also, by the end of 1943 they had almost all been sunk.
Thanks for that info Sailor Steve... I prefer to play the sim as close as is possible to reality. I'm turning my boat around and heading home.