SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: What time period would you like the Cold War Mod to encompass?
Early Cold War: 1947 to the early 1960s 148 14.23%
Mid Cold War: 1960s to 1980s 194 18.65%
Late Cold War: 1980's to 1991 147 14.13%
I want the whole thing! 1947 to 1991 551 52.98%
Voters: 1040. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-08, 03:06 AM   #16
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 1

Well, snorkle aside, it's all possible. At the very least, though, we need the Tang class and the numerous GUPPY variants for the Americans and for the Soviets we need Whiskeys and either Tangos or Foxtrots.

I don't think nuclear boats are out of the question either, so long as they're from the 50s or early 60s and we fix the couple bugs with the one we have. On that note, the Skate would be the perfect counterpart for the November. USS Skate was commissioned in '57 and the class is basically a downsized Nautilus with the re-addition of 2 stern tubes. And if missiles can be implemented then the Hotel class would be great for the Soviets and the Halibut or Growler for the US.

Anybody willing to start modelling any of these?
Capt Jack Harkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-08, 08:18 AM   #17
tonibamestre
中国水兵

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 0

I have two questions concerning this mods guys;

1- Talking about modelling 3D enviroment for new subs,are going to be possible real age and style command rooms? And,do you think would be achievable to add some more rooms like Captains room or so?

2- About Ports and Naval Bases,what about adding reworked sceneries for that? taking as reference known photos and data lets say from the 60s ?

If Im not wrong this is possible with the Autocad right? So,imagine added ports like Murmansk,Grotton,Gibraltar,Rota,Naples,.......and so.

Is all this a dream?
tonibamestre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-08, 01:44 PM   #18
denis_469
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonibamestre

1- Talking about modelling 3D enviroment for new subs,are going to be possible real age and style command rooms? And,do you think would be achievable to add some more rooms like Captains room or so?

2- About Ports and Naval Bases,what about adding reworked sceneries for that? taking as reference known photos and data lets say from the 60s ?

If Im not wrong this is possible with the Autocad right? So,imagine added ports like Murmansk,Grotton,Gibraltar,Rota,Naples,.......and so.

Is all this a dream?
Question about Murmansk and other ports is vary easy - simple insert ports from SH III in SH IV. And it's all that need for new ports. But this ports would be WW II era.
About command room submarines - WIP.

About scenaries - too hard made so is abscent all ships after WW II and need more powerful computers for this target. I'm can not continue my game in base SH III so my computer is weak now

And for new modern warfare computers need more than powerful... so in game need insert SSM, SAM and land attack missiles. Planes guided bombs and missiles. EW warfare and more more more....

For example few russian programmers made soviet destroyer type 956 with all missiles (ships can launch various missiles and can guide and more). For this ship need servers that he start work... It's vary long perspective (more than 5 years).
denis_469 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-08, 02:41 PM   #19
DavyJonesFootlocker
The Old Man

Downloads: 138

What software are you using for the models? I'm using 3DS max for WW2 German U-boat these days. How many polygons can the game's engine handle and can 3DSMax.obj be incorporated into the sim?
A proud member of the Wikipedia Haters Club
DavyJonesFootlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-08, 07:48 PM   #20
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

Quote:

Is all this a dream?
Well as for new rooms like the captain's quarters, etc, it's possible but it would involve adding more buttons to the interface (meaning low resolution players would lose buttons).

And, depending on how far we get with this mod, it will eventually become necessary to put in ports like Severodvinsk, Murmansk, Polyarny, etc. Another thing I'd like to add, but only if we have nuclear subs, is ice in the arctic (it would be kinda cheap to be able to hop the North pole in a nuke boat without having to navigate the ice).

I'm also still wondering if electronic fire control really can be integrated. Doesn't SH4 have an auto-aim feature for rookies? If so, that could be exploited for our purposes, which only leaves the problem of submeged identification... I think I'll start a new thread for this one, check it out if you have any thoughts.

Oh and Trigger, on the subject of snorkles, I would say to just wait until the upcoming U-Boat Missions expansion comes out in which we will have an SH4 compatible Type XXI (Well technically Type XVIII) with a functional snorkle you could use.
Old 02-12-08, 01:03 PM   #21
denis_469
Seasoned Skipper

http://www.sukhoi.ru/forum/attachmen...0&d=1202822345

SSN in sea... (in SHIV)
Old 02-12-08, 03:38 PM   #22
tonibamestre
中国水兵

Cool !! really impressive. Will be great if we could add Foxtrot,Alfa and Victor classes for example,with their respective compartments and phisics.
I really think a lot can be done into SH4 with the upcoming expansion,if Ubi dont give us a surprise and does it for us.

Anyway... GOOD JOB GUYS !
Old 02-13-08, 08:36 PM   #23
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

Well the Alfas and Victors had computerised fire control and really fancy sonar compared to WWII stuff, so getting them in game depends on whether or not we can implement those (50/50 chance at this point). The Victor I may be possible, however; it was made in the late 60s if memory serves...

Another difficult aspect of the Victors and Alfas is that they had small maneuvering props in addition to their main propeller, the Victor's were on the roots of the stern planes while the Alfa's were on the tips. I'm not sure how to get something like that to work because technically the main prop should shut down and the tiny ones should start up while silent running (and at 1/3 bell or less) and only while silent running. While the idea of adding a third propulsion system should be possible (it's done in the expansion with the Walter turbine), I'm not sure how to get two prop sets to run independent of one another. If anyone has any ideas on this let me know.

Here's a pic of an Alfa in dry dock so you can see the little props (it's too big to insert in this post):
http://www.russiansubmarines.info/im...3568DB5A4E.jpg

And here's a pic of a model Alfa:

And here's an illustration of the Victor's maneuvering props:

On a separate note, wire guided torpedoes and towed array sonar are out of the question, but I am currently experimenting with getting an active homing torpedo, we'll see how that goes.

Last edited by Capt Jack Harkness; 02-14-08 at 05:51 AM.
Old 02-14-08, 03:00 AM   #24
Axlwolf
Navy Dude

Downloads: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Jack Harkness
Well the Alfas and Victors had computerised fire control and really fancy sonar compared to WWII stuff, so getting them in game depends on whether or not we can implement those (50/50 chance at this point). The Victor I may be possible, however; it was made in the late 60s if memory serves...

Another difficult aspect of the Victors and Alfas is that they had small maneuvering props in addition to their main propeller, the Victor's were on the roots of the stern planes while the Alfa's were on the tips. I'm not sure how to get something like that to work because technically the main prop should shut down and the tiny ones should start up while silent running (and at 1/3 bell or less) and only while silent running. While the idea of adding a third propulsion system should be possible (it's done in the expansion with the Walter turbine), I'm not sure how to get two prop sets to run independent of one another. If anyone has any ideas on this let me know.

Here's a pic of an Alfa in dry dock so you can see the little props (it's too big to insert in this post):
http://www.russiansubmarines.info/im...3568DB5A4E.jpg

And here's a pic of a model Alfa:

And here's an illustration of the Victor's maneuvering props:

Wire guided torpedoes and towed array sonar are out of the question, though, but I am currently experimenting with getting an active homing torpedo, we'll see how that goes.
Are you sure they are some type of towed array sonar?
The Victor class has a huge pod on the top of the fin which was the housing of that type of sonar.
Axlwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-08, 03:10 AM   #25
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

I'm aware that the pod is towed sonar. What I said under the pics is that I can't make towed sonar functional in-game.
Old 02-14-08, 05:27 AM   #26
tonibamestre
中国水兵

Please,have a look at this thread -Good "Nagato" model - I am wondering aswell if these models from Turbosquid could be implemented fully controllable into SH4. If there was any chance,I would buy some,send them to you to experiment and work with. There are really good units there,specially the Carriers.

Please,let me know about it.
Old 02-14-08, 06:35 AM   #27
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

Quote:
Please,have a look at this thread -Good "Nagato" model - I am wondering aswell if these models from Turbosquid could be implemented fully controllable into SH4. If there was any chance,I would buy some,send them to you to experiment and work with. There are really good units there,specially the Carriers.

Please,let me know about it.
Well, they all look damned impressive and some could work for the Cold War. However, besides being exorbitantly expensive, the poly counts are way too high for use in a video game where you may be rendering a dozen simultaneously.
Old 02-16-08, 02:13 PM   #28
denis_469
Seasoned Skipper

http://www.sukhoi.ru/forum/showpost....7&postcount=64

French submarine Le Redoutable v 1.0a From Dagon.

WIP - project 949A in it moment.
http://www.sukhoi.ru/forum/attachmen...2&d=1203165445
http://www.sukhoi.ru/forum/attachmen...3&d=1203165445
Old 02-17-08, 07:33 AM   #29
denis_469
Seasoned Skipper

Default incoming new submarine

Incoming submarine:
http://www.sukhoi.ru/forum/attachmen...8&d=1203247227