SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: Will you still use Damage Control now that 1.4 will have hull damage displayed?
Yes 124 87.32%
No 18 12.68%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-07, 02:00 PM   #1
billko
中国水兵

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 2
Default [WIP] Damage Control analyzer that factors crew experience into the damage report

I wish I could edit the poll. What I meant by "1.4" is the pending 1.4 patch of course.

Although this application is similar to H. Gieseke's DA II, I purposely didn't even peek at his code because this was a project I made to familiarize myself with VB .NET. Any similarities, while not coincidental , were unintentional. After all, when two programs are written to do similar things, they're bound to have some similar code! That doesn't mean I don't give him credit, though. It was his program that inspired me to do this in the first place, especially because it seemed that development on that project had been frozen for some time.

Anyway, this application actually factors in the crew experience *by comparment* so that if the forward torpedo room gets damaged and it's the worst damage on the ship, you rely on the experience of the forward torpedo room when the damage estimate comes in. Any "Unmanned" compartments are covered by the damage control team - including the hull, which is almost always worst damaged - so now there's a reason to have experienced crew on the damage control team! Also, this application peeks at the submarine cfg file to get the crush depth and periscope depths, so it can report diving depth in feet instead of percentages.

If you have any questions, you can ask them here or contact me at: billko@worldnet.att.net. Anyone sending me email pertaining to the application will be added to my Damage Control mailing list for update notification.

Bill

Edit:
This file has a new home at http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1156!!!

History:

Version 1.1.0.0
Fixes:
None

Bugs:
Medals shown do not match what is in the game. (SH4 1.3)
Changes:
Special Dedication to LeoVampire/Dave in help file credits
Title changed to "Damage Control - LeoVampire Edition."

Version 1.0.6.1
Fixes:
Fixed DC incompatibility with flotillas.upc. (In other words, added bases should *really* work now!)

Bugs:
Changes:
None

Version 1.0.6.0
Fixes:
Fixed in-game time and date to actually do something. (It reads from the command log, which has the time and date of the last command issued. If there is no command log (i.e., in port, it reverts to the old way of getting the date and time). Since DC reads from legacy files that have little, if anything, to do with gameplay, I totally agree with the Dev's and their decision not to fix this bug, since it has absolutely nothing to do with how the in-game time is kept.

Bugs:
Changes:
None

Version 1.0.5.3
Fixes:
Fixed embarrassing laziness bug where Bases/Flotillas were hard-coded so that added bases/flotillas were being flagged as "Unknown."

Bugs:
In-Game time and date are not updated.
Changes:
None

Version 1.0.5.2
Fixes:
None

Bugs:
Medals shown do not match what is in the game.
Changes:
Hint: Dave, look in the credits, okay?

Version 1.0.5.1
Fixes:
Fixed a problem in the Tambor class (I believe Gar, Salmon and Sargo classes were also affected) where the application was incorrectly assuming that these sub classes had the option of having an aft AA gun, which screwed up how it was reporting AA Gun damage.

Bugs:
Changes:
I *finally* understand all the silly things that happened to the US Navy's flag officer ranks, Rear Admiral Upper/Lower half, and the Commodores (pun intended). It turns out that for a while, the US Navy HAD no one-star flag officer equivalent. You went straight to Rear Admiral (two stars) from Captain. This was because the previous one-star designation, Commodore, confused everyone, since that was also the title for any Captain that commanded a small fleet of ships. As if they didn't have that problem with Captains being both a rank and a title for any officer that commanded a ship! Anyways, the other branches of the military got hurt feelings when their Brigadier Generals were getting outranked by Navy officers they considered junior to them, so the Navy re-introduced the Commodore rank for a few years, then decided that they would instead split the rank of Rear Admiral Lower and Upper half into distinct ranks (one and two star flag officers, respictively). Previously, it was a designation only of pay grade. Your tax dollars at work!!! Anyway, for a significant part of WWII, the US Navy had no one star Flag Officers, so that will be faithfully represented now.

Version 1.0.5.0
Fixes:
None.

Bugs:
Changes:
User can now choose saved game folder path.
Help file updated to reflect changes.

Version 1.0.4.7
Fixes:
Fixed a bug where the "bronze stars" (for duplicate medals) weren't cleared when loading non-career saved games (how embarrassing).
Fixed a spelling error in "history.txt"

Bugs:
Changes:
Edited help file to inform the user that Player Info is not available for non-career saved games.
Bug fixes

Version 1.0.4.6
Fixes:
None.

Bugs:
Changes:
Made text box cursors default cursor instead of I-beam so user won't be mislead into believing the data can be changed.
Cleaned up some stuff in the help file.

Version 1.0.4.5
Fixes:
None.

Bugs:
Changes:
Optimized for memory.

Version 1.0.4.4
Fixes:
Fixed an annoying bug where there old tooltips were being displayed along with new ones (noticable when you loaded a game with a different amount of medals).

Bugs:
Changes:
Bug Fixes

Version 1.0.4.3
Fixes:
fixed unreported bug where crew damage report not updated if the user has overwritten the original latest saved game.
Efficiency mods to the program to reduce memory consumption.
Saved games with a long career can slow loading of the info to the point where it causes noticable lag while it is loading the info. Damage Control v 1.0 will now not load the saved game unless the files being loaded are actually different than those already loaded.

Bugs:
Changes:
Bug Fixes
Code optimization

Version 1.0.4.2
Fixes:
Okay someone actually had six bronze stars and crashed the application. Workaround in place - shows only up to four gold stars...
Fixed an unreported error where the purple heart stars would show the number of CMOH stars... that's what happens when you have lots of nearly identical code...

Bugs:
Changes:
Bug Fix

Version 1.0.4.1
Fixes:
Silly error where CMOH medal stars weren't working right - gave a purple heart star (even when no purple heart was awarded)

Bugs:
Changes:
Bug Fix

Version 1.0.4.0
Fixes:
None.

Bugs:
Changes:
Added gold stars for each duplicate medal! (SH4 keeps track of this, even if it doesn't show up in your medal case!) Tooltips show date received!
Tooltip on rank picture shows date promotion was received.
Updated Help File to reflect new features.
Updated readme.txt for installation instructions.
Bug Fix: My apologies to H. Gieseke for totally botching his name in the credits of the help file! It's fixed!

Version 1.0.3.1
Fixes:
Fixed a cosmetic bug where some file menus were accidentally enabled before their functionality was implemented. No crashes, just menu choices that don't do anything.

Bugs:
Changes:
Bug Fix

Version 1.0.3.0
Fixes:
None.

Bugs:
Changes:
An integrated help file was added!

Version 1.0.2.2
Fixes:
Fixed a bug involving the fact that subs come in different configurations.
Bugs:
Changes:
Bug fix

Version 1.0.2.1
Fixes:
Fixed a small silliness where the Damage Control Team reports itself as being damaged, when in fact it's the compartment that is damaged! (But the compartment is actually named "Damage Control Team" in the game!)
Bugs:
Changes:
Bugfix

Version 1.0.2.0
Fixes:
None
Bugs:
Changes:
Finally made it so the application shows micro-damage. (Equipment/Weapon Damage disappears from the game, yet is still not performing to 100%)

Version 1.0.1.0
Fixes:
None
Bugs:
Changes:
Added code so you get additional accuracy penalty for not having a compartment manned and no damage control team.

Version 1.0.0.1
Fixes:
None
Bugs:
Changes:
Now displays ranks above Captain as the natural progression, not as in game (you'll never be able to make Admiral)

Version 1.0.0.0
First Working version.
To do:
Add an index to the help file.
The bugs listed above are actually SH4 errors. The in-game time and date are never updated in any of the accessible saved game files and it is a problem with the game not awarding the correct medals. The displayed medals are the medals you *really* have!

Last edited by billko; 06-08-09 at 08:43 AM. Reason: updated download info
billko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-07, 12:33 PM   #2
Rattail
Watch

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

looks interesting.... where does it say how damaged the sub actually is? and how deep it can dive?
Rattail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-07, 12:49 PM   #3
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 10

:rotfl: I love the status message at the bottom!

RSM-GIEP-Killflags-LV Tribute-Playable Elco __Peace be with you, Dave.

Digital_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-07, 05:44 PM   #4
billko
中国水兵

Thanks for the comments, guys. The next release is going to be pretty soon. it will feature a full-blown help file. it's easy enough to use on its own, but this is a learning experience so I'm treating it as much as a "real" project as possible. Maybe a few days, if I survive the beating I'm taking from my wife for spending so much time on this thing (rightfully so, I might add).

Bill
Old 08-31-07, 05:49 PM   #5
billko
中国水兵

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattail
looks interesting.... where does it say how damaged the sub actually is? and how deep it can dive?
Rattail:

It's indirect, but if you notice, the crew is recommending you stay on the surface... When damage isn't so critical, they will tell you what they think the sub can handle. And the accuracy depends on how experienced they are. The damage control team is always responsible for assessing hull damage; they will also assess any compartments not manned. (If you have no damage control team, which happens with a quick mission, you'll get a "best guess" +/- 15% of actual dive depth on every unmanned compartment...)

Bill
Old 09-01-07, 07:27 AM   #6
Rattail
Watch

pretty cool! thanks!
Old 09-01-07, 07:55 AM   #7
Javelin
Gunner

Downloads: 189

Thanks, this is a great addition to SH4. Simple and to the point, very helpful.
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-07, 10:04 AM   #8
billko
中国水兵

Hmmm, I was awarded the "Submarine Service Medal (Dist. Service Medal) and the output file - and Damage Control also - reports I got the Purple Heart. Actually the output was correct IMHO because I ran into a big carrier task force as I was patrolling the "Jawa" Sea and got the crapola beat out of me because I could not dive deep enough to keep the destroyers off my back - green watch crew didn't report the contact until the task force contacted me - in a most direct manner. I ended up just putting her on the bottom of the sea when they weren't looking and apparently they couldn't tell me from a sea shell because they eventually got tired of wasting depth charges and went back to excorting the task force... No one would give me a Dist. Service Medal for for beating up a boat and not completing my objective.

But the fact remains... the stock medal system sucks. I wonder if one of the medals mods would fix that... although I wonder, because from what I've been reading, they've been having similar probs...

Bill
Old 09-01-07, 11:55 AM   #9
Rattail
Watch

ok... the crew suggests that I can dive to 210feet but my depth meter doesn't go that far... now what? any ideas?
Old 09-01-07, 12:03 PM   #10
billko
中国水兵

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattail
ok... the crew suggests that I can dive to 210feet but my depth meter doesn't go that far... now what? any ideas?
Actually... thankfully there is something you can do about it (and it took me a while to figure this one out when I first started playing). Clicking underneath any of the three gauges gives you an alternate indicator - clicking under the standard depth gauge switches it to one that can go to 500 feet (or something like that).

Enjoy!

Bill
Old 09-01-07, 08:02 PM   #11
Rattail
Watch

Thanks mate!
Old 09-02-07, 12:11 PM   #12
billko
中国水兵

Damage Control version 1.0.4.0 will be out shortly. It will feature gold stars for duplicate medals (please don't get more than five - I haven't coded for silver stars yet!), plus if you mouse over the stars/ribbons, you get a tooltip showing the date you got them.

Bill
Old 09-04-07, 05:25 PM   #13
billko
中国水兵

Damage Control v 1.0.4.1 is now out.

What's new:

Duplicate medals are shown as gold stars, up to four duplicates. (Per military custom. I haven't coded for more than four duplicate medal = 1 silver star because it would unnecessarily clutter up the user interface - this is supposed to be about sub damage, remember?)

This can be downloaded from:

http://users.gotsky.com/kaf/damage%20control/

For full history details, see original post.

Enjoy!

Bill

PS: my aoplogies to H. Gieseke for the egregious error I made in the spelling of his name in the credits. It was a very late night...
Old 09-04-07, 09:41 PM   #14
billko
中国水兵

Quote:
Originally Posted by billko
Damage Control v 1.0.4.1 is now out.

What's new:

Duplicate medals are shown as gold stars, up to four duplicates. (Per military custom. I haven't coded for more than four duplicate medal = 1 silver star because it would unnecessarily clutter up the user interface - this is supposed to be about sub damage, remember?)

This can be downloaded from:

http://users.gotsky.com/kaf/damage%20control/

For full history details, see original post.

Enjoy!

Bill

PS: my aoplogies to H. Gieseke for the egregious error I made in the spelling of his name in the credits. It was a very late night...
Version 1.0.4.2 is out and fixes an unhandled exception: IndexOutOfRangeException. Leave it to DigitalTrucker to have more than 5 medals of one kind!

You can get the new file at the same place as the old one.

Bill
Old 09-05-07, 10:37 AM   #15
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by billko
Leave it to DigitalTrucker to have more than 5 medals of one kind!
My bad! I'll try not to do it again

Keep up the good work and thanks for the extremely rapid fix

RSM-GIEP-Killflags-LV Tribute-Playable Elco __Peace be with you, Dave.

Digital_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote