SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS > Mods Workshop for Cold Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-23-18, 04:07 AM   #1
CaptainX3
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0
Default [REL] New Playable Subs & More Mod

NEW PLAYABLE SUBS & MORE MOD v2.0.0 RELEASED

The first post-expansion release of the mod is now public. Please head to the link below to download. It is extremely vital that you read notes on the main page before downloading the mod, especially the notes at the top and the "Other Important Changes" section right below the list of playable subs.

Link: https://github.com/CaptainX3/CW-Playable-Subs

Other Important Changes
  • Player home base in SCS campaign changed to Okinawa, since it is a much more likely location for a US sub base in this theater of operations, and hopefully will somewhat ease the issue of automatically failing your mission whenever you need to rearm.
  • Minimum aircraft distance to allow exiting a mission (NearbyAircraftMinDistance) changed from 10000 to 3500, so you're not stuck waiting forever for aircraft to disappear after you sink their mothership.
  • Sonar signatures have been reworked. You will see the entire vessel list when playing single missions, but the campaign singature libraries have been left as they were in vanilla, since none of the new subs in this mod will appear in the campaigns.
  • In this version of the mod, there is only ONE version of each sub instead of separate vanilla and playable versions like before. (This means that the playable Yasen you love will also be the Yasen you face in the campaigns and single missions.)

New Playable Subs & More - A Mod For Cold Waters

https://github.com/CaptainX3/CW-Playable-Subs

"We'll settle this the old Navy way... the first guy to die loses!"
CaptainX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-18, 07:19 AM   #2
Richard G
Mate

Downloads: 14

Don't like the Okinawa home base. The sub base is in Guam, they're not in Japan because they can be bombed to hell by red air.
Old 04-23-18, 09:30 AM   #3
CaptainX3
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
Don't like the Okinawa home base. The sub base is in Guam, they're not in Japan because they can be bombed to hell by red air.
You can reset it back to Guam by deleting the override\campaign\campaign003\campaign_data.txt file and the override\campaign\campaign003\language_en folder.

To be accurate, the US actually has a naval base in Yokosuka, and in the novel SSN, which the campaign is based on, the USS Cheyenne always rearmed and repaired at the sub tender McKee which anchored in Subic Bay, after which the Navy sent SeaBees to build a small base and airfield. However, I ran into problems moving the base to Subic Bay, kept getting "pulled" into port during missions.

Old 04-24-18, 01:23 AM   #4
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
I'd second this. That and Oki is a Marine base with no, or next to no, naval support facilities. Yoko would be the next probable but Guam is really the best option. Keep in mind the geographical and political difference between the Lant and Pac. Just my two cents though.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-18, 05:42 AM   #5
CaptainX3
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETR3(SS) View Post
I'd second this. That and Oki is a Marine base with no, or next to no, naval support facilities. Yoko would be the next probable but Guam is really the best option. Keep in mind the geographical and political difference between the Lant and Pac. Just my two cents though.
True, but also notice the port image when you enter port at Guam... it shows a submarine tender anchored in a harbor, not an actual naval base, so in theory, the "base" depicted could literally be anywhere. I chose Okinawa because its closer to the mission area (but not too close) and the US has a presence there in real life.

For those who want to change it back, simply delete the files I mentioned above. Personally I wanted to try to complete a campaign without failing the mission every time I need to repair or rearm. Guam is too far away from the mission area with the mission time limits that are in place.

Old 04-24-18, 07:23 PM   #6
Beedo
Swabbie

Downloads: 38

Is there a way to make only Nato subs available for blue campaign and only Chinese/Soviet available for red?

Thanks for the quick update on the mod btw, love the new subs!
Beedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-18, 03:15 AM   #7
CaptainX3
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedo View Post
Is there a way to make only Nato subs available for blue campaign and only Chinese/Soviet available for red?

Thanks for the quick update on the mod btw, love the new subs!
Sure, you can choose what subs are available to the player in the override/campaign/campaign###/summary.txt file. At the moment, there's no reason to limit player options because there is no Red campaign, the 3 campaigns in the mod are the same vanilla campaigns all playable from the US side.

The developer of the Soviet campaign that used to be in the mod has gone inactive and can't be reached, so there aren't any new campaigns in this version.

Old 04-25-18, 04:11 AM   #8
Beedo
Swabbie

Downloads: 38

I see, that's a shame. Still, thank you for the info!
Beedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-18, 05:15 PM   #9
PacificWolf
Ensign

Downloads: 237
Uploads: 3

Awesome work on the mod, can't stop playing the Yasen class and found a little bug with the stern planes:

"All ships can dive, only submarines can surface"
PacificWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-18, 06:45 PM   #10
CaptainX3
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificWolf View Post
Awesome work on the mod, can't stop playing the Yasen class and found a little bug with the stern planes:
Yeah, we've reported that to the devs because it's a bug with the model itself, only they can fix it.

Old 04-25-18, 07:53 PM   #11
CaptainX3
Electrician's Mate

Hey guys, I have been told by the devs that they didn't change how campaign files worked in the beta, so I can actually add back all of the campaigns the mod had before, I just have to re-add all of the vessels that were made for them. I'll do that for the next update.

UPDATE: Sorry guys, I gave it my best shot, but it didn't work. The realism nuts wanted every single weapon and sensor on the face of the Earth in the mod, even though it wasn't needed, and I can't make heads or tails of the entire mess.

Unfortunately I don't have the time to go back and edit every file to make it all work, so we're stuck without other campaigns now because of the insistence of realism nuts that everything MUST be in the mod, even if it only does 1 point of damage more than the previous version. So thank them for that.

The only possible way to make the old campaigns work is to go in and change all of the US vessels we made before into Russian vanilla ships. That would solve the weapon and sensor problems and they'd work.

Last edited by CaptainX3; 04-25-18 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-26-18, 04:06 PM   #12
MR. Wood
Planesman

Downloads: 170
Uploads: 5

Great fast work guys. Anyone going to rework some of the models in the mod for some of us? Yes I know many more important things to do first also bug report when selecting Seawolf class for the SCS campaign only getting Jimmy Carter tried it five times and Just that boat. Anyone think about if its even possible to streach seawolf a little and make the Real USS jimmy Carter. Or maybe USS Parche. Wish I knew anything about doing models so I could help
Keep up the great work .
MR. Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-18, 05:25 PM   #13
CaptainX3
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. Wood View Post
Great fast work guys. Anyone going to rework some of the models in the mod for some of us? Yes I know many more important things to do first also bug report when selecting Seawolf class for the SCS campaign only getting Jimmy Carter tried it five times and Just that boat. Anyone think about if its even possible to streach seawolf a little and make the Real USS jimmy Carter. Or maybe USS Parche. Wish I knew anything about doing models so I could help
Keep up the great work .

I'd love to be able to do that, but we can't change the models. We can kitbash different parts together, which is what we've done with some of the new subs, but we can't scale models, change them, or add new ones. And not all models have separate parts... for instance, the pumpjet on the Seawolf is part of the base model, so we can't use it anywhere else.

Old 04-26-18, 06:49 PM   #14
CaptainX3
Electrician's Mate

MOD UPDATED!

Download: https://github.com/CaptainX3/CW-Playable-Subs/releases

Old 04-27-18, 11:52 AM   #15
sgtscuba
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 1

I've downloaded and installed the 2.1.0 version and installed it on a clean copy of the game. When I launch the game though, it won't launch but gives me a message saying I am missing "USN_mk48_adcap_description.txt" from my default directory (clean install doesn't complain).

Do I need to use the beta build of the game to use this mod?

I'm using 1.09e
sgtscuba is offline   Reply With Quote