Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-21-09, 06:35 AM   #1
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0
Default Contract Of Common Sense

Hi Guys,

We're now on a 7 month run up to the release of the game. I believe that the game is scheduled to release in Australia on march 20 2010. If Ubisoft follows in the same footsteps as SH3 and SH4, that will put the European/US release of SH5 within a week of that date.

The pattern that usually emerges on this forum on the lead up to the release of a new version of Silent Hunter, is a mixture of excitement, anticipation and frustration, as people are seeking answers to questions relating to issues such as what technical specs will be required in order to run the game.

I think Silent Hunter 5 looks like an exciting new venture for us sub simmers, and I thank Dan and his team for all the hard work they have put into this new game. We have to look to history though and understand that it is highly likely that this game will be released in an unfinished state, and that it will require significant patching for 6 to 9 months after its release.

So let's accept now that the game will be playable when it's released, but it won't be a truly great sim until it's fully patched and the modders have got to grips with it.

I say all this because we don't want a whole load of people stating that Ubisoft sucks and they want to sue the company etc. We've seen and heard it all before and it's very boring.

While the vast majority of members here will understandably pre-order the game, hopefully from Subsim so that our forum benefits from the sales, I have made the choice to wait and purchase the game about 9 months after its release. There will only be a handful of people who do this, and in my case, I just don't want to go through the whole process of installing and uninstalling mods as each new patch is released. Been there, done that. Very boring.

I will purchase the game at the end of 2010. The difference between what I pay for it at that time and the $49.99 retail price I will donate to subsim. I will then patch it once, mod it once and then enjoy it.

Let's initiate a 'Contract Of Common Sense' though. We all know the pattern of how this will play out between now and December 2010, when the sim will probably have achieved the status of being the best sub sim of all time.

Let's celebrate what the game will undoubtedly become, and not moan and complain about every little thing we don't like in the meantime.

Last edited by Webster; 08-27-09 at 05:21 PM.
TDK1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-09, 06:41 AM   #2
henriksultan
Sailor man

Downloads: 34

Internet will never be freed from whiners but Ill sign the contract and hope that we at least get all the function somewhat working that is promised

I trust in the developers and will love the game even with its bugs and all in the beginning because I know how great it will become

Last edited by henriksultan; 08-21-09 at 07:59 AM.
henriksultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-09, 06:42 AM   #3
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Ever the optimist TDK?

Great post though

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-09, 06:45 AM   #4
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 11

Good post
(edit) Though I will have my copy of SH5 pre-ordered, support the franchise properly or else there wont be one- simple as that.

Last edited by JU_88; 08-21-09 at 08:30 AM.
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-09, 06:46 AM   #5
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna View Post
Ever the optimist TDK?

Great post though

Just a realist, Jim. I hope for the best and expect the worst.
Old 08-21-09, 07:02 AM   #6
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Ironically, this thread already seems like a lone voice in the breeze...

Good luck garnering support though.
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-09, 07:47 AM   #7
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK1044 View Post

I will purchase the game at the end of 2010. The difference between what I pay for it at that time and the $49.99 retail price I will donate to subsim. I will then patch it once, mod it once and then enjoy it.
I appreciate that, but I would prefer that you buy the game when it is released and put it on the shelf until the time you feel it is patched and ready to play. Subsim can always use donation, but it is crucial to the survival of the submarine simulation genre that SH5 is a commercial success out of the gate. I endorse buying the game on release as long as Ubisoft is clearly trying to make the best subsim possible. Buy the game, keep the pressure on the suits at Ubi to support the Romanians in touching up any flaws.

I do not give a game--even a subsim--a blank endorsement check. As I said, I endorse buying a game on release to support the genre as long as Ubisoft is clearly trying to make the best subsim possible. SH2 was not a tremendous game, but I knew from months of working with the dev team that they meant to overcome so many obstacles and make it as good as possible. I threw my full support behind SH2, even though it was not the game we all wanted. It was, however, successful, and responsible for keeping the flame alive.

SH3 was a great game. SH4 was a good game that Ubisoft released too early. I was not as involved with SH4 as I was with SH2 and 3, so I cannot vouch for Ubisoft there. The marketing was bureaucratic and not very responsive, I was not "in the loop" much, and I think that was because they knew the game was not ready. If the same situation plays through with SH5, I may agree with the wait and see attitude. Being an optimist, I think Ubi will not make the same mistakes with SH5.

best
Neal
Old 08-21-09, 07:52 AM   #8
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Nah. I will not wait and see. I will purchase the game when available. I keep the faith that SH5 will be the culmination of all that was learned in previous releases. As Jim stated....perpetual optimist. I am one of those.
AVGWarhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-09, 07:53 AM   #9
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

That's a deal, Neal. I'll buy it up front through subsim. I'm just "patchaphobic" now after SH3 and SH4. I think SH5 will be fantastic once finished though.
Old 08-21-09, 08:07 AM   #10
Uber Gruber
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I'll buy it when its ready, if that means after 2 or 3 patches then so be it.

If my stance causes UBI's sales figures to force the "end of sub sims by Ubisoft" then that's absolutely no skin of my nose.

If you, in this forum, believe my stance to be incorrect then thats cool too. If game companies expect people to beta test their products then they should charge "half now and half when its fixed" and not the full fare.

But you know, i've been around long enough to know there will always be a sub sim somewhere.
Old 08-21-09, 08:16 AM   #11
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

I see only one bug in this game. Watch the trailer one more time. The cook...he is thin....I do not eat were the cook is thin. Get this changed to a fat jolly old fellow.
AVGWarhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-09, 08:18 AM   #12
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

I think that based on Subsim's record of knocking themselves out to make SH4 a viable sub sim, pre-purchase is not a bad option. I do not agree that the submarine simulation genre is in Ubi's hands though. Although they are presently sucking all the oxygen out of the sub sim atmosphere, if they made a serious misstep and left the genre, someone else would be more than happy to breathe that air.

However, Ubi has a solid record of taking care of us. If we have decided to hang back and if sales look weak, we need to change our mind and step up to the plate. They deserve our support based on their attitude and support of this community.

Let's see: $50 divided over 2.5 years I've played SH4, that's 913 days is about a nickel a day. I'd say that is a pretty reasonable price, although on a game of lesser quality I'd only allocate half of that. It's ludicrous to buy a Coke a day and grouse about the cost of a $50.00 computer game.

TDK, you make perfect sense. Our conduct should be rooted in respect and appreciation for the company who produces the simulations we love. They deserve the benefit of the doubt when we are ascribing motives to their behavior and our patience when something is not quite to our liking. Sign me on.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-09, 08:34 AM   #13
Kloef
Weps

Downloads: 30

Great post,but as stated i too will buy the game on release day,and put it on the shelve if nessesary....i like games that enjoy the full attention of the people that created it,especially after release.

The sim market is a difficult one,and very unpredictable.These people need our support,they take a gamble so we should too..our support is by buying the game,their support is the service and patching that makes the game better and more enjoyable,mods or not.I think its a pretty good deal don't you think?

I will however sign the contract because i hate all the wining and complaining in the beginning,and the praising by some of the same people after things get better.

Just my 2 cents..

http://www.dutchsubmarines.com/
Kloef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-09, 08:34 AM   #14
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
I see only one bug in this game. Watch the trailer one more time. The cook...he is thin....I do not eat were the cook is thin. Get this changed to a fat jolly old fellow.
:rotfl:
ROFL, well maybe he is so sick of the sight and smell of food, he has somewhat lost his appetite..
Then again - after just coming out of the 1930s recession (in heavily sanctioned Germany) - I would doubt it somehow
Old 08-21-09, 08:46 AM   #15
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Let's see: $50 divided over 2.5 years I've played SH4, that's 913 days is about a nickel a day. I'd say that is a pretty reasonable price, although on a game of lesser quality I'd only allocate half of that. It's ludicrous to buy a Coke a day and grouse about the cost of a $50.00 computer game
Agreed, here in the UK a new PC game cost about £24.99 off play or Amazon. My own personal philosophy is that - if I got about hours worth of enjoyable gaming for each £1 i spent *(so £25 = 25 hours)* I got good value for money.
So for games like SH3/SH4, GTA 4, ArmA2 & Red Alert 3 (all games that i have played endlessly)
I got a really good bargin as far as I'm concerned, nothing else i can think of with a mere price tag of £24.99 even comes close.