SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-28-09, 04:27 PM   #61
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Jack Harkness View Post
Alright then, modeling issues aside, I've noticed a couple playability problems.

First off, the sonar seems strangely worthless on the couple patrols I've done so far. On more than one occasion I've made visual contact with a moving target with no word from sonar and when I tell him to report contacts he says he's got nothing. On other occasions, however, the sonar works fine and I end up with dozens of contacts out to the advertised ~30 nm radius.

Secondly, acceleration seems a bit sluggish for a boat with 35,000 hp. I know the game engine has a different interpretation of engine power than the rest of us and that might be part of the problem...

Keep up the good work!

PS: Anyone willing to start on a proper control room???
I guess I'll start with the modeling issues first. If someone wants to model the screw after the picture you found I am ok with that and will include and give due credit for it. The fact is, that I personally and legally, am limited in what I put in the mod. Hence I use public sources for references.

Second, the sonar issues. I don't know if its Operator Error (i.e the sonarman on the stack) or if it's the setup that I have for the sonar. So I am looking into that, if you want to look into it as well that's fine just let me know so I can make the correction(s).

Third, boat acceleration. Honestly I feel quite content with the way the boat accelerates. A decently fast increase from 0kts and then gradually getting up to the full 35kts. Trust me on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balmerical View Post
ok, I admit it ...Im not worthy!

I still cant seem to find the "change to main engine" button.

Could anyone post a small screenshot for me so I can finaly put this master piece of a sub to work?

Here ya go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer427 View Post
Right now, its still just a bunch of playable nukes
but since I started making them campaignable, there was a big bang of SH4 nuke subs, hence, my sig
I got a new name for you then...RICKOVER!

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-09, 06:49 PM   #62
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280
Uploads: 0

:rotfl:
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-09, 03:24 AM   #63
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 1

Alright I'll take your word for it. And I think the sonar issue is operator related. When sitting at the console I can hear contacts miles away, then when I send bearings to the TDC they finally get reported.
Capt Jack Harkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-09, 05:11 AM   #64
balmerical
Swabbie

Downloads: 9

Thank you for the screenshot.

I now see my error - I guess this mod needs the "german sub expansion" (dont remmember the name lol) to get that engine changer.....

well...off to get the expension then
balmerical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-09, 06:19 AM   #65
Sophont
Seaman

Downloads: 6

I asked this about the Ohio, and I'm wondering about it for this too... would it be possible to get it working for the German campaign?
I really would like to get the additional extras from the German campaign, like being promoted and being able to call for support from battlegroups, with one of the nuclear submarines.
Sophont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-09, 01:24 PM   #66
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

Personally, and maybe ETR3 can add his input, but from what I know submarines are supposed to be independent of the battlegroups, they can pop up and shoot out an intel message about convoy movements, but other than that I think they are supposed to just not be there
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-09, 01:38 PM   #67
Sophont
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer427 View Post
Personally, and maybe ETR3 can add his input, but from what I know submarines are supposed to be independent of the battlegroups, they can pop up and shoot out an intel message about convoy movements, but other than that I think they are supposed to just not be there
And? =p

I'm not looking for realism, otherwise I wouldn't want a nuclear submarine.
Old 06-29-09, 04:01 PM   #68
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Well in RL a fast boat would be attached to a Carrier Battle Group as an ASW screen. But for the game, that's something I could look into. Hopefully it would be a simple fix, if not I guess I could build it from the ground up off of a Type 18.

Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Old 06-29-09, 05:31 PM   #69
Sophont
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETR3(SS) View Post
Well in RL a fast boat would be attached to a Carrier Battle Group as an ASW screen. But for the game, that's something I could look into. Hopefully it would be a simple fix, if not I guess I could build it from the ground up off of a Type 18.
That would be awesome!
Old 06-30-09, 01:23 AM   #70
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

Found a publicly available photo of a real 688 prop on the bottom of this page:

http://http://americanhistory.si.edu.../taming6.html#

On a separate note, how did you add the Walter turbine to the boat? I'd like to throw it on my Skipjack to get it to play a bit more like a real nuke boat.

And does anyone know a way to get better depth control with the fast boats? It's a pain oscillating up and down as the helmsman tries to hit the ordered depth and keeps overshooting.
Old 06-30-09, 08:40 AM   #71
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Nice picture, someone's got a sore ass over that one I'm sure! So with the pictures you've provided we just need someone to make the model. As for adding the Walther Turbines it's not to hard.

1. Open up the boats .sim file

2. Go down to the unit_submarine node.

3. Add new child chunk unit_submarine. This new chunk should have the info for the Walther Turbine included in it.

4. Alter speeds and shp as you want. (note: The top speed of the Walther is directly connected to the top speed of the electric motors. They dont have to be the same number, for example on 688i Walther is set at 35kts and electric at 7kts.)

5. Now go over to the German equipment.upc file and copy the Walther Turbine out of there and paste it in the American equipment file. Give it a new equipment number and you're set.

6. Now you can go into the boat.upc and add the new Turbine in whatever compartment you want.

Now a little more info on the Walther. I did a test to see if it could be damaged and destryoed. On 688i I received no damage what so ever. So I tried the Type18 under a stock game, I did receive damage and they where destroyed but I could still use them at full power. So with a stock game not really destroying them anyways I stopped my attempts at putting them in the damage model.

About high speed depth control, this could be another issue of operator experience. But who has the time under battle conditions for your planesmen to finally learn how to drive the boat? The best you can do in the mean time is order up Ahead Flank, get your speed up and either go to All Stop or Ahead 1/3. This way when your planesmen finally pull out of the dive or rise, speed bleeds off and you have a more stable platform.

Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Old 06-30-09, 10:35 PM   #72
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

Alright I got all that set now, but for some reason I don't get the H202 fuel gauge and activator button on my hud, so I can't test if it works...
Old 07-02-09, 10:30 AM   #73
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

I'm having the same problem with RFB. Try mousing over the area where it should be and see if your mouse pointer reacts like the buttons there.

Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Old 07-02-09, 09:05 PM   #74
ensign bob
Swabbie

Downloads: 16

dict.tu-chemntiz.deDe <> EnDe >> EnEn >> DeEnglishDeutschProverbs (En)Sprueche (De)

Thank you for your efforts, that should open the eyes of those little nippers
ensign bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-09, 07:22 AM   #75
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETR3(SS) View Post
I'm having the same problem with RFB. Try mousing over the area where it should be and see if your mouse pointer reacts like the buttons there.
I just tried it and it does, and the turbine works, too. The panel is just invisible. I'm now running RFB myself, now that I think of it, and I have a feeling RFB might just be lacking that panel in their custom HUD files... If that's the case you could make a new panel with a gauge reading U-235 while still leaving the H202 gauge for the U-boats.

On a side note, do you think you could add in the anechoic tiles to a future release, using the german anti-sonar coating? It shouldn't be quite so easy for japanese destroyers to zero in on a modern nuke boat with their antiquated active sonar...

Oh, and does the 688i have any sort of surface search radar that can be deployed at PD? I was under the impression that the mast in front of the bridge was for navigational purposes while running on the surface (thus the short, non-faired mast).