SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-17-09, 09:51 AM   #196
u_tommy
Mate

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 0

Well i was unable to fix this.. and ended up installing in the default location

Luckily i had a 1.4 DVD version with no starforce.. which i only realised after failing to install the 1.4 patch numerous times

All working with GWX3 on Vista x64.
Old 02-17-09, 10:07 AM   #197
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 320
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnHeck
Irish --

Thanks so much for your quick response!

Oddly, on several occasions --yes, I've reinstalled that much-- the de_help.txt file, the one in dispute, doesn't even appear to have installed.

I've also been careful to eliminate SH3 from my registry between attempts. I guess my main problem is this:

SH3 allegedly installs some files in My Documents & Settings (different, I believe from the simple Documents folder) and it's THAT which I can't seem to find.

As for your suggestion of a 10 dollar purchase, I think there's probably some validity in that. Is direct download possible?
Sorry for the late reply. Try going to C:\user\owner\AppData\local\VirtualStore\Program(8 6)\ and see if there is anything there concerning Ubisoft and/or SH3.
If so, delete it.
While you are there search through in the VirtualStore folder are see what is there. If you delete a program, it may be on you hard drive stored there, and may cause problems in the future with conflicts. While you are in the VirtualStore folder, delete anything related to SHIII and SH3. This could be where your problem is; if it is not, then I don't know.

As far as D2D downloads, I don't know. I used D2D download a couple of years ago, but it had a form of Starfarce (not mis-spelled) and was not patched. I don't know what D2D has now.
Old 02-21-09, 11:32 PM   #198
Heibges
Sea Lord

Downloads: 1

I had the problem with the 64bit operation system, so rather than fool with Ubi Support, I bought it from D2D for $9.99.

My question is when does Star Force install? I had already installed the game from US dvd and patched to 1.4b when I tried to start the game and got the error overlay.

I've run the removal utility in every folder I can think of, and it always says there are no protective drivers to be found. I want to make sure StarForce is gone before I try to install the D2d version.

Thank you
U.Kdt.Hdb B. I. 28) This possibility of using the hydrophone to help in detecting surface ships should, however, be restricted to those cases where the submarine is unavoidably compelled to stay below the surface.

http://www.hackworth.com/
Heibges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-09, 10:00 AM   #199
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

I think the drivers are a root kit; in which case, they are deep into your operating system. Supposedly the starfarce removal tool will remove all traces of the drivers.
Old 03-02-09, 03:15 PM   #200
Heibges
Sea Lord

I have SH3 up and running with no problems.

I have GWX 3.0 Installed.

I want to use SH3 Commander Thalium.

It appears from the Readme, that I only need to use the optional GWX files for SH3 commander if I am doing a reinstall from a Rollback?

Is this true, or do I need to install those files.
U.Kdt.Hdb B. I. 28) This possibility of using the hydrophone to help in detecting surface ships should, however, be restricted to those cases where the submarine is unavoidably compelled to stay below the surface.

Old 03-02-09, 07:13 PM   #201
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

If you are using GWX3.0 or NYGM3.2, you will need to use the specific files for your install in SH3CMDR 3.2 or your hair will fall out and you will get hemorrhoids.
Old 03-02-09, 07:36 PM   #202
Heibges
Sea Lord

Thank you for the info, Irish.

Old 03-06-09, 06:44 AM   #203
Kentrat
Torpedoman

Location: Sitting on the Becks crate scraping the mould off the bread...
Downloads: 116
Default Problems with installing/running on new computer

I've been running quite happily on my old XP Pro set up for ages, with all flavours of SH3, have just bought a Vista Home Premium-equipped Laptop and having awful problems getting SH3 to run at all, I am using the hidden super-administrator account and uac turned off etc, SH3 installed to c:/game files/ubisoft/ and everything 'by the book' with starforce update installed etc. Now regardless of what version of SH3 I install (currently vanilla just to try and get running) I get the ubi logo, the intro movie.... but when I exit from the movie just a black screen with the theme music in the background......

I've tried re-installing twice and no difference, the laptop is a Rock xtreme CTX Pro, Vista Premium SP1 and latest Geforce drivers etc... any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Kentrat

Kapitänleutnant, U-136, (typ. VIIb 16v GTi)

If God didn't want us to eat animals, He would not have made them out of meat....
Kentrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-09, 08:19 AM   #204
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

I don't have the foggiest idea what the problem might be. I suggest you read this entire thread to see if your problem is listed (and solved); if not, here is what I did.
I purchased new copies of SHIII and SHIV, all starforce free and DMA free and patched to the correct version. The SHIII cost me $9.99 and the SHIV $19.99 plus a bit for shipping etc. The SHIV had the U-Boote expansion.
With these, I have had no problems with my Vista sp1.
Old 03-06-09, 08:33 AM   #205
owner20071963
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentrat
I've been running quite happily on my old XP Pro set up for ages, with all flavours of SH3, have just bought a Vista Home Premium-equipped Laptop and having awful problems getting SH3 to run at all, I am using the hidden super-administrator account and uac turned off etc, SH3 installed to c:/game files/ubisoft/ and everything 'by the book' with starforce update installed etc. Now regardless of what version of SH3 I install (currently vanilla just to try and get running) I get the ubi logo, the intro movie.... but when I exit from the movie just a black screen with the theme music in the background......

I've tried re-installing twice and no difference, the laptop is a Rock xtreme CTX Pro, Vista Premium SP1 and latest Geforce drivers etc... any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Kentrat
Best to just dump that copy of SH3,
Vista has Compatability Issues with some Old games,
especially the starforce protected ones,
Irish is correct in saying go Buy a new copy of SH3,
less hassle
Old 03-06-09, 08:38 AM   #206
Fincuan
Admiral

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentrat
Now regardless of what version of SH3 I install (currently vanilla just to try and get running) I get the ubi logo, the intro movie.... but when I exit from the movie just a black screen with the theme music in the background.....
Doesn't sound like a Vista or "incompatible sh3 copy" problem at all, but the age old problem with either wrong graphics card settings or ffdshow conflicting with SH3. Both of these lead to the behaviour you described in both SH3 and SH4. If the culprit is ffdshow the easiest solution is to uninstall it, if not then doing a forum search should turn up plenty of threads with similar problems and possible solutions.
Fincuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-09, 08:46 AM   #207
Kentrat
Torpedoman

Location: Sitting on the Becks crate scraping the mould off the bread...
Downloads: 116

I will try and install SH4+ Uboats and see what happens there, I did have a look through the thread and did not come across a similar problem but as the main reason for getting this laptop was to have a mobile installlation of GWX I am not giving up just yet.... Really frustrating as Company of Heroes runs beautifully on it

SH3 seems to stall before the loadscreen, just the choral music and a black screen with arrow cursor on it, tried changing the screen res to 1024x768 to see if that made a difference but thus far no.. I'll try the ffdshow issue first before anything else, I did try the no-cd route and uninstalling starforce ( I do have all my original discs etc!) but it made no difference at all. Currently trying SH4 install now.

Really not keen on buying SH3 + 4 a second time but if all else fails I grudgingly will....

Thanks Irish and everyone else too!

Kapitänleutnant, U-136, (typ. VIIb 16v GTi)

If God didn't want us to eat animals, He would not have made them out of meat....
Kentrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-09, 09:01 AM   #208
owner20071963
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

your copy of SH4 will run fine,
Its your old copy of SH3 with the protection,
that Vista will not run,
also with Vista Run any game patches
or upgrades as Administrator,
hope this helps.
Old 03-06-09, 09:08 AM   #209
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Same thing I advised Torplex.....Install SH3 and update if needed. Go to your video card program and reset the video card to the default settings. Fire up SH3. You should see all now. Close the game out and reset you video card to your liking. For some reason, Vista/SH3/SH4 does not like to work for the very first loading if you video card is tweaked to what you like. The card needs to be set to the default values. Also, create a root folder for your games. Stay out of the program files. I made a root folder and named it GAMES2. I load all my games there.

Read this post here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=148212

Last edited by AVGWarhawk; 03-06-09 at 09:18 AM.
AVGWarhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-09, 10:56 PM   #210
owner20071963
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

If You have Windows Vista 64-bit?
Read this Post,
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=149904