SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-20-19, 01:50 AM   #1
hamm
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Good missions for playing while learning the game?

There aren't any tutorial missions or anything right? So is there anything that's easy or basic enough that's good for learning the game? Also, I think I heard that you can import missions from the other games by the devs, and I got them all in a pretty cheap bundle on steam, so if there's anything like a tutorial or a beginner mission in any of those either, that'd be good.
hamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-19, 09:42 AM   #2
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Hello! You can check out my tutorial series (shameless plug). I go over everything about the game in a technical sense, there's not much in the way of tactics in my tutorials. But since Dangerous Waters is a procedural sim, knowing how everything works is most of the battle: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...-p2qHIpRNOvpGQ

Also, be sure to read the manual. There's lots of good information there. In terms of first missions to play, I would just start with the default campaign, Russian Rebellion. It's not difficult and starts out easy and gets more difficult as you progress while giving you a try at all the platforms.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-19, 11:16 AM   #3
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

You can also get used to saving a mission or campaign at key times.
This is how many people learned to beat the stock missions.
Also, there is no shame in playing a mission two or three times. DW awards experience, the more you play it the better you get.

Try to stick with the stock game at first, as Chazly said.
Once that starts to feel old, there are missions and campaigns you can download here. Just be sure the missions you download are for the version of the game you're playing. There is also the Mission Editor where you can create your own stuff.

Understand that people have been playing these Sonalysts games for years. You have the entire world's oceans to play in. You can also develop your own tactics and play the game the way you want to play it.

There are also Mod versions of DW you may want to check out after you've seen and done everything in the stock game. The Mods change the look of the 3DO models and also how they operate. They also expand the number of Navies and ship classes. There are two basic mods for DW:

LWAMI- Available in two versions, 3.08 and 3.11. LWAMI expands the number of Navies and ship classes while updating some of the 3DO models. LWAMI was designed for single player and MP and adds some challenges by changing some of the sonar displays (this was done for better MP play-ability but also works nicely for single player use).

Reinforce Alert (RA)- RA is still being developed and adds newer 3DO models, more playable platforms, weps controls, sensors, etc., etc.
The database of ship classes and nations is huge.
The one downside to RA (IMO) is that it concentrates ONLY on MP, which makes it tough for newer players who are still learning the ropes. You can try to play the included single missions in single player mode but they are extremely difficult (basically, there's no where to hide in RA).
Hopefully, things will start to even out for single player mode as the mod develops (A-hem..).
Still, RA has a solid crew of modders behind it and they don't rush out new versions just for the heck of it. Its a stunning mod just to look at, never mind the game play.
ET2SN is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-19, 04:42 PM   #4
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
The one downside to RA (IMO) is that it concentrates ONLY on MP, which makes it tough for newer players who are still learning the ropes. You can try to play the included single missions in single player mode but they are extremely difficult.
Its not truth - RA is as good for single as vanilla or Lwami. But MP in RA is much more better than those two.

Quote:
(basically, there's no where to hide in RA).
Playing submarine is not about being hidden but about fulfilling your tasks in secret to enemy.

Thread linked below shows @ET2SN is wrong (again).
link
My video shows you can drive your Los Angeles class 30 kts, only 7.5 nmi from pinging enemy and you won't be detected if you did it well.
(Mission was played in RA 1.48)

Btw for learning i recommend vanilla game - it's because original campaign is not compatibile with RA
Also very good @FPSChazly's tutorials are made for vanilla.
RA chcnges many game aspects so you should have basic knowledge before installing this mod.

In other hand, Reinforce Alert have rebuilded campaigns and single scenarios from 688 H/K and Sub Command.
Old 06-20-19, 06:34 PM   #5
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by p7p8 View Post
Its not truth - RA is as good for single as vanilla or Lwami. But MP in RA is much more better than those two.

No, it is not truth. It is our opinion that it is not as good

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-19, 08:04 AM   #6
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Your opinions are only "opinions" i had proof (video) not empty words. You both are wrong.

Sentence:
Quote:
RA (IMO) is that it concentrates ONLY on MP
...is ridiculous :P
Old 06-21-19, 09:23 AM   #7
Pirate
Lieutenant

Downloads: 152

Quote:
Still, RA has a solid crew of modders behind it and they don't rush out new versions just for the heck of it. Its a stunning mod just to look at, never mind the game play.
IMO, R.A. is a Bug festival with new interfaces poorly done.
R.A. is about quantity, not quality!
Old 06-21-19, 10:05 AM   #8
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Most complaining can not install the game correctly - this causes their problems

They do not understand RA needs clear installation - not upgrading
In other hand DW is not working well on Win 10
But this is not RA issue

Quote:
IMO, R.A. is a Bug festival with new interfaces poorly done.
R.A. is about quantity, not quality!
Its funny because i've recorded over 300 videos from RA and never had "bug festival with new inrefaces"
Old 06-21-19, 11:09 AM   #9
Pirate
Lieutenant

Quote:
Its funny because i've recorded over 300 videos from RA and never had "bug festival with new inrefaces"
Maybe you should take a closer look at your own 300+ videos, cause the bugs are there in plain sight.

The new interfaces usually have misaligned elements and graphical glitches when interacting with buttons for instance.
The attention to detail is just not there!

But they are not only graphical, there's also out of place messages like the "periscope #2 is flooded" when a torpedo shutsdown or voice message saying the torpedo wire has been cut on a tube that has previously fired a missile...

Look at 3:32 - 3:42
Old 06-21-19, 12:18 PM   #10
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

It's definatley not a "bug festival". This bug appear in 1.47 and was corrected. In RA 1.46 Asura worked fine.
It's because DW engine is very difficult for modding - you fix 1 thing and 5 other thing starts to work bad.

Vanilla and LwAmi also have many bugs - which were never fixed.
RA is much more advanced than vanilla and Lwami - it adds dozens of features by only 1 person who is NOT professional programmer.

I have many of videos from tests - but most of them are from not released versions. But i had also so many videos from big battles and there is no "bug festival".

If you think:
Quote:
messages like the "periscope #2 is flooded" when a torpedo shutsdown
have so big impact on game but submarine sail unable for detection by radar is not problem for you (vanilla and Lwami bug) you probably play this game for completly different reason than me.
Old 06-21-19, 01:07 PM   #11
Pirate
Lieutenant

I never said that a submarine sail not being detected by radar is not a problem. You're the one downplaying the importance of the bugs, not me!
Although in reality, detecting a submarine sail would not be easy, it would require a relatively flat sea and a higher mast.

There are many other bugs introduced by R.A. in interfaces, like for instance the magenta lines on the viewport of some periscopes and infrared cameras on planes, or the bug on some weapon loadout screens that show a rack free space number that is not correct and you try to increase some weapon count while still having 2 or more available spaces to fill but it just doesn't increase....

You can downplay the importance of the bugs all you want, but the great amount of them, small or big - whatever, only creates frustration when using the r.a. mod and ends up driving users away from it.

Last edited by Pirate; 06-21-19 at 02:06 PM.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-19, 01:49 AM   #12
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

All big problems you counts are for me only smallest things - tiny "cosmetic details. It don't make me frustrated.
If its so problematic for you - you can play only vanilla platforms like you have in Lwami or vanilla

Bug with not correct weapon space is from vanilla kilo interface. It's funny in vanilla it isn't problem for you, but it is in RA

Magenta lines are effect of not correct scaling by game. Some people have this bug and some haven't. But it's still tiny details.

If i have to choose between version with small graphic artiffact or version where almost all major game mechanics works bad: radar bug, reduced speed of all missiles, buggy AEGIS work, wrong weapon speciffication (65-76 in vanilla is wiregiuded active-pasive torpedo) and many more, i will choose version with small graphics bug.
DW is not eye-candy game. Most of time you spend on map, sonar or TMA. So 3 magenta pixels are not problem for me.
World of Warship have beautiful graphic - maybe this is game for you?

Btw my first post was answer to ridiculous sentence "RA is only for MP". I showed many times this game is good in MP and SP. I have videos from many scenarios - also from single player campaign. I prooved that accusations "in RA you can't hide" are effect of not understanding submarine warfare. Empty words vs video - i think everyone can judge these arguments himself

@hamm - don't listen those malcontents
you should start with vanilla and FPSChazly tutorials - they are good for basic learning. After this you can check other mods - Lwami or RA
But RA needs more time for learning because some game mechanics are coded.

Don't listen guys who advice to make in editor "special missions" before playing simple scenarios. Its funny he gives this advices to all but he did't do this for himself. And he still have big problems with simplest mission

Its only game - you don't have to donate in your church before playing.
Making mistakes is natural process of learning.
Old 06-22-19, 02:48 AM   #13
Pirate
Lieutenant

Quote:
Bug with not correct weapon space is from vanilla kilo interface. It's funny in vanilla it isn't problem for you, but it is in RA
No, it isn't. You're making RA bugs a vanilla game bug when they're not!
Which kilo loadout has that bug in vanilla DW? RU Kilo, RU Kilo Imp, CN Kilo, CN Kilo Imp???
I just tested all those in vanilla and that bug is not present there.

Is also the "blank loadout" bug on platforms that use the kilo weapon interface, a bug on vanilla DW?
You know, that bug, if you don't go to loadout screen before mission, then in mission your loadout is all blank.
No, it's not a vanilla DW bug, it's a R.A. bug.
And it happens on your precious Orzel too!!!

As I said before, you can downplay the RA bugs all you want.
In the end, your attitude resumes to a few keywords that you've already written "are for me only smallest things - tiny cosmetic details."

Last edited by Pirate; 06-22-19 at 03:03 AM.
Old 06-22-19, 04:02 AM   #14
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

DW 1.04 kilo weapon rack bug.

1. count all torpedoes before reloading
2. count all torpedoes after reloading
3. no single torpedo was fired!

Any questions?

This bug involve all rest bugs for every submarine uses Kilo interface.
Its vanilla bug - having impact on all mods

Quote:
You know, that bug, if you don't go to loadout screen before mission, then in mission your loadout is all blank.
Yes - i know about this. This is why you should always change weapon loads from default. And its also DW engine bug - it doesn't work correct if you change (by programming) weapon load for new submarines.
Probably Sonalysts didn't plan to make our product moddable.

But it all are very small bugs - easy to elimination. Btw how much in game you launch all of your weapon? For me it desn't matter in RA weapon storage shows 2 more space - matter is max number of weapon is correct.

Quote:
And it happens on your precious Orzel too!!!
My precious Orzel? Are you kidding? I never played this sub any single mission. Are you jealous?
I was just happy Orzel was added because i never asked for it. It was nice gift for polish players - nothing more.

All your pretensions doesn't changes fact: RA is most advanced mod - where most of vanilla bugs were fixed. Its playable in single as well as in multiplayer mode. This is only one mod where systems works really close to real, with correct missile speed, correct weapon channels for Perry, controlable torpedoes (changing side of layer) and many more major mechanic improvements. Of course there are many small bugs like some "bad pixels".
DW was released with ugly graphic at that time. Today this graphic looks even worse. But real DW players knows DW don't needs eye-candy graphic. I saw many times discussion there players says - "visual side of this game is ok".

In the end your attitude resumes to a few keywords that you've already written "R.A. is a Bug festival with new interfaces poorly done."
The truth is: people active playing this game havent your problems with few magenta pixels. They didn't call it as "bug festival"

Last edited by p7p8; 06-22-19 at 04:14 AM.
p7p8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-19, 05:24 AM   #15
Pirate
Lieutenant

Quote:
DW 1.04 kilo weapon rack bug.

[url]
Any questions?
Yes, Why do you post a video as a reply to a bug I described, showing another bug?
The video you posted shows a bug that is present on both vanilla DW and RA.

The bug I described in post #11 is a bug on the loadout screen, you know, the one before mission, not in mission:
"or the bug on some weapon loadout screens that show a rack free space number that is not correct and you try to increase some weapon count while still having 2 or more available spaces to fill but it just doesn't increase"
This bug is not present in vanilla DW, only RA.
Please, post a video showing the bug I described in the loadout screen before mission, on original DW.

Quote:
Yes - i know about this. This is why you should always change weapon loads from default. And its also DW engine bug - it doesn't work correct if you change (by programming) weapon load for new submarines.
No, in vanilla DW you do not have to go to loadout screen before mission to have a default loadout in mission.
Any mod adding playables should replicate that behaviour, and that is perfectly possible as I've done it several times.
RA introduced that bug for some platforms that use the kilo weapon interface.

Quote:
RA is most advanced mod - where most of vanilla bugs were fixed.
I'm not arguing that. RA is the most advanced mod for DW, but is also the laziest one!
You see, the thing is: all these bugs that I've been describing are fixable, but they just don't care!

Quote:
DW was released with ugly graphic at that time. Today this graphic looks even worse. But real DW players knows DW don't needs eye-candy graphic. I saw many times discussion there players says - "visual side of this game is ok".
DW graphics were not the best at the time it was released but were not bad either.
But one thing is dated graphics, other thing is buggy graphics with misaligned elements and visual artifacts that don't belong!

EDIT: One thing I agree with you, RA is no better or worse in Single player than it is on multi-player.

Last edited by Pirate; 06-22-19 at 05:44 AM.