SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Special Projects > Subsim Events & Activities > Best of Subsim
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-16, 07:29 PM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Icon1 *** Nominations for Best of SUBSIM 2016 ***

Welcome to the nomination thread for the Best of Subsim 2016. I thank you for your time and assistance in recognizing the outstanding members of our community.

You can help us decide upon who should receive awards for being our best in the following categories:

Best Poster of the Year - So, have you noticed someone who posts regularly in the forums, he or she is friendly, helpful, interesting, and you enjoy reading what they have to say? Nominate her/him here.

Midshipman of the Year - Which new member (joined in 2016) has been the friendliest/helpful/interesting. Keep your eyes peeled for new guys who join Subsim, share laughs and are good and easy to get along with. Being a new guy ain't easy. Nominees to this category must have a join date of Dec 2015 and later.

Thread of the Year - There are 50~100 new threads every day at Subsim. Some are fluff, some are newsy, some are great points of interest that everyone seems to enjoy. Some threads spawn not only great posts, but memorable discussions that last for weeks and months. Of all the threads started in 2016--let's find that thread we call Thread of the Year. Cannot be a previous winner.

Post of the Year - There are 600 new posts every day at Subsim. That's over 275,000 this year. Of those, one will be Post of the Year 2016. Which one, that's up to you to decide. Cannot be a previous winner.

Funniest Post of the Year - Wit and humor is never in shortage here at SUBSIM. Who's the wittiest and funniest? No, seriously, who?

Mod/Modder of the Year - Let's give it up for the clever fellows who pioneer improvements and fixes to our sub games. For this category, you want to nominate someone who has created a really helpful and popular mod. Also consider how he interacts with the community--is he polite, supportive, and helpful? Does he respond to queries?

Most Helpful Member of the Year - To consider someone for this award, you should feel he is not only friendly and interesting, as is the criteria for the Poster of the Year award, but helpful in evident ways. Such as, this nominee posts links to help solve questions other members have, he supplies answers to questions, and he is civil and doesn't batter people who disagree with him.

Avatar/Signature of the Year - Very simple: if you see a signature or avatar you feel is really interesting, clever, funny, etc., post it here. Sigs should be within the rules pertaining to size. http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/faq....ure_image_faqs

Subsim Facebook Poster of the Year - Many Subsim members make great posts of screenshots, game reports, memes, and other naval content. Who is the overall standout of the year?

Subsim Facebook Post of the Year - Of all the posts and memes, which one would you say is the most memorable?

NEW! Subsim Video of the Year - The Subsimmer who made a video and we posted it or linked to it.

Please check the proper format guidelines in the next post.

There may be additional categories that open for nominations in Dec 2016.

Thanks again for your help!

Neal,
SUBSIM

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 04-19-16 at 12:27 PM. Reason: added Video category
Old 03-04-16, 07:30 PM   #2
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Guidelines
Nominees have to be active members at the time of nomination.
You cannot nominate yourself (duh).
Threads and posts nominated should have begun in 2016.

Format - VERY IMPORTANT!
When you post a nomination, you must include:
  • The category you are nominating for (Post of the Year, Modder of the Year, etc.)
  • The name of the nominee (correctly spelled).
  • The contents of his post or thread in QUOTES. Don't simply say, "He said this" and a link, include at least part of his post.
  • A link to the post or thread. For sigs, post the image.
  • Include your reason for the nomination, why you think it deserves an award.

Voting for BOS categories Dec 15, 2016

Throughout this year, if you come across a post or thread that you think is really noteworthy, post a link, the quote, and your argument. This way we can summarize the whole year easily come this December.

Also, please keep this particular forum on-topic at all times, so it's easier to sort through down the road.

Good hunting!
Neal,
SUBSIM
Old 03-04-16, 07:32 PM   #3
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

EXAMPLE

__________________________________________________ __________________________
Here is an example of the proper format for making a nomination. Let's say I want to nominate this thread for thread of the year, I would post it this way:

Category: Thread of the year
Member: August
Thread & link: The Model Railroading thread http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=198810

Quote:
Quote:
I've been getting back into model railroading in the past few months and i'm finding it very relaxing after a hard days work. It started with a 20 buck box of ho scale engines and freight cars and has grown into the makings of a fairly decent layout. I still have lots of work to do on it, the most important right now to get it insulated and finished before it gets too cold and drives me back to the warmth of a painting and detailing bench set up near the basement wood stove like last year.
Reason: I think a lot of people here share an interest in Model Railroading. The topic is popular and has received 2700+ replies.
Old 03-04-16, 09:35 PM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default Sloops and ketches and clippers! oh my!

A nomination Category: Thread of the year-since it can't be won by previous winners; MEMBER: CaptainRamius: 'Beautiful Sailing Ships' Thread and link: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=223068
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRamius
The Age of Sail is long over, but sailing ships still remain beautiful in their own way. The way the bow breaks over the waves and the ensign flying at the stern, it makes my heart melt.
Who else thinks that sailing ships are beautiful, even when compared to today's yachts?
Reason: That thread, eminently naval in subject matter really brought a lot of guys outta the cyber-woodwork!!! We've got a lot of sailboat fanatics! Besides 'usual suspects': Jimbuna, Sailor Steve, Gargamel, AVGWarhawk, Catfish, nikimcbee & myself; There's Bertieck476 patrolling the Channel in an 1897 restored 40' oyster dredger! (best pics imho ) just OUTSTANDING! The variety of ships was astounding! @ ADMIN:
Quote:
Threads and posts nominated should have begun in 2016.
The last two thread winners weren't started in the year they won-precedent-wise; This thread only started a month before the years' end.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 03-04-16 at 09:51 PM.
Aktungbby is online  
Old 03-05-16, 05:24 AM   #5
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Icon14

Thread of the Year

Winter War, day by day
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=216995

Dowly has put a lot of work into this informative thread and taking it upon himself to do it as day by day shows the time he has put into studying the conflict and posting here for all to read.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 03-05-16, 09:40 AM   #6
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
Thread of the Year

Winter War, day by day
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=216995

Dowly has put a lot of work into this informative thread and taking it upon himself to do it as day by day shows the time he has put into studying the conflict and posting here for all to read.
Agreed.
Old 03-13-16, 11:06 AM   #7
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Category: Funniest Post
Member: Nippelspanner
Thread & link: Gun Control thread (merged many) Post - http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...postcount=1658

Quote:
Someone initiates a debate and coincidentally, those who disagree always bring up other and non-related problems, instead of talking about the actual topic.
Why?
How is this helping anyone, how does that solve problems?

This is just something that I don't understand about people since... forever.
They do it all the time.
"Hey, I think you always put too much salt on the pasta."
"OH YEAH? WELL LAST YEAR YOU PUT TOO MUCH PEPPER ONTO SOMETHING TOO!"
"... "
Funny and pretty insightful, love it when people examine forum social patterns like this.
Old 03-14-16, 06:20 PM   #8
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Actually Nipplespanner's post quailfies for the most sobering post of the year

Quote:
Someone initiates a debate and coincidentally, those who disagree always bring up other and non-related problems, instead of talking about the actual topic.
Why?
How is this helping anyone, how does that solve problems?

This is just something that I don't understand about people since... forever.
They do it all the time.
"Hey, I think you always put too much salt on the pasta."
"OH YEAH? WELL LAST YEAR YOU PUT TOO MUCH PEPPER ONTO SOMETHING TOO!"
"... "
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Old 03-20-16, 02:35 AM   #9
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

I second Aktung's nomination
Old 03-20-16, 06:48 AM   #10
CaptainRamius
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
I second Aktung's nomination
Thanks a lot
Old 03-20-16, 05:48 PM   #11
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Category: Most Helpful Member of the year
Member: Delanski
Thread & link: Battlefield Bad Company 2 Vietnam
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...53#post2390953

Reason: Delanski comes up with a helpful reply to Eichhörnchen's question, and restores my faith in humanity.
Old 03-22-16, 12:22 AM   #12
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

I second that one, too
Old 04-19-16, 12:29 PM   #13
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Category: Video of the year
Member: Brick Thrower
Thread & link: The Evolution of Subsims

Reason: Brick Thrower answered my call to made a video illustrating the evo of subsims. It was a lot of time and work and it came out beautifully.
Old 04-21-16, 02:36 AM   #14
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Category:Mod/Modder of the Year
Member: vdr1981
Thread & link:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703
Keeps SH5 going imo .
Old 04-21-16, 11:11 PM   #15
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Nomination: SIG of the Year: Torplexed reason: Original work of art!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 05-05-16 at 10:07 AM.
Aktungbby is online  
Closed Thread