SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-28-16, 06:00 PM   #1756
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

BEERY!!

Good to see you again, after such a long time.

I happen to have a copy of Friedman's Naval Weapons of World War One. He doesn't show the end date you requested, but he does have a lot of performance stats, so if you need those...
Old 04-28-16, 07:16 PM   #1757
Beery
Admiral

Location: Silver Spring, MD, USA (but still a Yorkshireman at heart - tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman...)
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Thanks for the welcome Mikemike47. Sailor Steve! Good to see you're still here too!

Funny you should mention Friedman's book. I just ordered it from Amazon. I noticed his stats are available online somewhere, but I'm sure the book has lots more good info on all aspects of the war at sea - it gets a lot of good reviews.

I would have bought it last week if I had been diligent in reading the reviews. Instead I bought "Torpedo: The Complete History of the World's Most Revolutionary Naval Weapon" which was a bit of a disappointment from a WW1 standpoint (and, strangely, from a torpedo standpoint - it has lots of info on weapons systems that delivered the torpedoes, but not much info on the torpedoes themselves), so I returned it and I'm getting Friedman's book instead.

"Anyrooad up, ah'll si thi"
- Missen.
Beery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-16, 07:34 PM   #1758
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Holy cow! It's the ghost of Real Fleet Boat past! Thanks for all you did for the game. Glad to see you around here again!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-16, 08:09 PM   #1759
Beery
Admiral

Location: Silver Spring, MD, USA (but still a Yorkshireman at heart - tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman...)
Downloads: 0

Thanks. I'm glad to see so many people remember. It has been a while.

I'm glad to see people still making mods. I can't wait to see how Wolves of the Kaiser turns out. WW1 is my favorite time period to study, but I never thought I'd see a WW1 U-boat simulation.

"Anyrooad up, ah'll si thi"
- Missen.
Beery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-16, 09:05 PM   #1760
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Holy cow! It's the ghost of Real Fleet Boat past!
What are you, some kinda newb? I still remember the first SH3 supermod, Real U-Boat!
Old 04-29-16, 06:50 PM   #1761
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beery View Post
Thanks. I'm glad to see so many people remember. It has been a while.

I'm glad to see people still making mods. I can't wait to see how Wolves of the Kaiser turns out. WW1 is my favorite time period to study, but I never thought I'd see a WW1 U-boat simulation.
There's always a place at the table for you! I have hours & hours of memories, chasing down RE-8's etc in RB3d - you and the old guard for that Red Baron truly worked wonders! And then there's your work for SH3!

By the way, I am sure the red color of the G6 torpedo nose was added after the war, for drama...it would have been terrible for camoflage. I do have confirmation (from a WWI Merchant Navy captain's account) that the older, smaller calibre torpedoes were golden bronze in color. I assume most G6's and later would have been a grey metallic color overall but cannot confirm.

More weather shots showing better foam...I might tone down the green color of some sea states.

And yes, I remember the complaints about submarine rust - I assure you guys this will not be the only version available for U-87 type subs. Also the WWII-era periscope radar has already been removed from the conning tower.

I don't like the stock SH5 funnel smoke (currently installed on my development SH4 install - here is an alternate by another modder (AIL?) as an interim solution...the final version of coal funnel smoke will be like this but without incorporating his work.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-16, 06:55 PM   #1762
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
What are you, some kinda newb? I still remember the first SH3 supermod, Real U-Boat!
You're right. I only caught the end of Beery's modding career, but what fun we had in the threads attacking the RFB deck gun! It would be Beery and I against the world, with everyone using loading times from a shore installation to try to imply that eight or ten shots a minute should be routine, with Beery and I showing report after report from the subs where two a minute was about average.

As Commander Dealey of the SS Harder said "I don't care whether you mount my deck gun aft or forward so long as you put it on wheels so I can roll it overboard."

OMG, Wolves of the Kaiser is going to be more beautiful than Fall of the Rising Sun. This is a masterpiece in the making and well worth waiting for.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-16, 07:03 PM   #1763
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Working on the "Guts" of the game - table data I will use to govern campaign layer spawning. The main idea is to have the world populated with more small craft, and with big ships sailing only where they would have been historically. It's too easy to accumulate tonnage - even in many large SH3/SH4 mods - because you have big freighters/tankers/liners spawning too often, and sailing on routes where historically you would have rarely seen them. Spawn rate is daily percentage chance. Common craft like fishing smacks, rowboats, etc may have multiple chances per day to spawn (4x50%)=50% chance every six hours. A given port may be Large, Medium, or Small. Don't expect a huge ocean liner to spawn outside a fishing village. And if a port spawns big targets, expect plenty of mines, nets, blockships, patrol craft, etc etc etc.

Did I mention that another modder discovered how to add visual sensors as units? Each village in WOTK will have them to represent coast watchers. If your sub surfaces too close to a populated area, assume someone WILL contact authorities, who will send patrol craft. Lingering on the surface near any enemy town - even one with no shore guns - will be suicidal. If an enemy sub was near your town, would you call the navy or would you stupidly gawk?

If there's one thing I hate it's being able to destroy a high value target without taking any real risk. It's almost insulting to the real submariners. The name of the game is, NO TURKEY SHOOTS - ever.

About the U-35 - the early version (with aft-facing conning tower shield) is going to be tested very soon - work on German battlecruisers had pushed it back.

Last edited by iambecomelife; 04-29-16 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-03-16, 04:12 PM   #1764
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt
中国水兵

Downloads: 164

Are there any news?

Rapidi Ed Invisibili-the campaign (an italian mod for SH4)
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-16, 11:28 AM   #1765
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Yes there is! Screenies of a new playable unit tonight. Big question...how do you guys feel about a Wolves of the Kaiser Facebook page? With updates, vehicle previews, weapons previews, and more. This evening after work, back to my second job...haha!
Old 05-04-16, 11:55 AM   #1766
中国水兵

I can't wait!!!!!

Old 05-04-16, 09:17 PM   #1767
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Early war variant was imported into the game this week...note the backwards-facing conning tower shield, and the different hull shape from U-35, etc late in the war.

Masts were just switched from Starboard to Port, as most sources show. As usual still much work left-it never ends.
Old 05-05-16, 02:43 PM   #1768
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Arrrghhh these teasers are killing me

Can't wait!!
Old 05-06-16, 11:25 AM   #1769
中国水兵

Wooooooooooow it's fantastic
I'm looking for to see other news and the WOTK's Facebook page

Old 05-06-16, 12:44 PM   #1770
Ludwig van Hursh
A-ganger

Downloads: 65

How come the conning tower is backward? Looks great! Even if I won't get my wish to command a roving cruiser, I do have World of Warships and Jutland but it just won't fill the void; I still will be glad to experiment with all them new (old) subs.