SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-11-18, 07:24 PM   #91
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Seems that there is more than one fire going in California ... something like 25 fires. Here's the worst one in Northern California:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ca...dist=bigcharts

This one has 23 deaths mostly from people trying to escape found in their cars.

Quote:
The Camp Fire in Butte County, about 100 miles north of Sacramento, grew slightly overnight to a total of 109,000 acres, after destroying an estimated 6,500 homes and 260 businesses in the city of Paradise. At least five victims of the fire were found trapped in charred vehicles as they attempted to flee the fast-moving blaze, authorities said.

Already ranked as the most destructive wildfire in California history, the Camp Fire could surpass the deadliest on record of 29 fatalities in a 1933 inferno because law-enforcement officials say as many as 100 people remain missing from the Paradise area. Officials of the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, or Cal Fire, said teams have been deployed to search for the missing, some of whom they said could be alive but trapped in rubble.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-18, 07:48 PM   #92
kg6eyr
Wheelchairing Weirdo

Downloads: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Seems that there is more than one fire going in California ... something like 25 fires. Here's the worst one in Northern California:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ca...dist=bigcharts

This one has 23 deaths mostly from people trying to escape found in their cars.
Yeah, most are contained, and only something like five are still going.

Camp Fire is certainly taking the lead in deaths and acreage, unfortunately; with the Woolsey fire coming in a close second in terms of acreage.

I've never seen the State so much like a tinder-box...

SH4 Current Status Report: Sub School 4/5 - Convoy Attack WIP - Pre-Pearl Harbor Career

SH5 Current Status Report: Patrol 1.5: British Supplies: 22 Sunk - Total Tonnage: 125462 - Post British Coastal Waters
kg6eyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-18, 09:18 PM   #93
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Acres Burned - Containment: 125,000 acres - 30% contained Structures Threatened: 15,500 Structures Destroyed: 6,522 residences, 260 commercial http://calfire-forestry.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=5306cc8cf38c4252830a38d467d33728&ext ent=-13547810.5486%2C4824920.1673%2C-13518764.4778%2C4841526.1117%2YouC102100 48 DEAD (CONFIRMED) 200 MISSING OR UNACCOUNTED FOR....

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 11-13-18 at 09:29 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-18, 03:37 AM   #94
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

Man, this is bad.
Old 11-14-18, 04:22 AM   #95
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Default SAVING BRUNO

The fire has destroyed 8,817 structures — including 7,600 homes and 260 commercial buildings. Officials said 5,615 personnel are fighting the fire; 52,000 people remain evacuated in and around Paradise; and 13,085 people remain sheltered.
Quote:
When Scott realized that his lakeside home in the wooded hills of Butte County was surrounded by fire, he knew he had only one way out: the water.
He, his wife and their two young adult sons, along with two dogs and a cat, plunged into the chilly Concow Reservoir 20 miles east of Chico last Thursday as flames singed the giant tule reeds on shore behind them.
Not far from the family, at least a dozen others, some elderly, had also rushed into the mountain lake, all wearing what they’d woken up in. Among those saved was 90-year-old Bruno. Scott’s son, Michael, helped their older neighbor from his home and into the reservoir, though he wasn’t sure he could survive the dip.
As Scott and Michael’s family cat struggled to stay afloat in a tiny cage, Michael noticed a pair of small rowboats chained to a nearby log. He loosened the vessels and helped Bruno, his mother, his brother and the family pets board. Everyone but his dad.
“There wasn’t enough room for all of us,” said Scott, who insisted that the others paddle to safety while he remained submerged.
It was so cold, he said, that at several points he waded back toward the flames to warm up.
Farther north on the lake, Scott’s in-laws were among an estimated 15 people standing shoulder-deep in water.
At some point, Michael navigated his crew to an island in the middle of the reservoir. They were safe from the flames, but the frigid water left Bruno drifting in and out of consciousness and suffering severe hypothermia. Michael proceeded back into the water and then onto shore to find help.
“Somebody knocked on my door and said there was an old man on the island,” said Concow resident Peggy Moak, whose house was one of the few that survived the fire as hundreds of others around her were reduced to ash. She and others stripped Bruno of his garb and warmed him with a hot bath, tea and fresh clothes, and he appeared to liven up, Moak said. He was later driven to a hospital in Chico. His condition Tuesday was not known.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHROEDER
Man, this is bad.
NOT BAD ENOUGH IT SEEMS:
Quote:
The Butte County sheriff's office said there have been 208 suspicious incidents reported. Of those reports, 18 of them were linked to looting. Deputies arrested Monday two men linked to looting a residence within an evacuated area and were in possession of a gun. They were booked into the Butte County jail.
Earlier Tuesday, deputies arrested another two men who were found looting and booked into Butte County jail. Also, deputies found a motor home that was previously reported stolen and arrested a 22-year-old man and a 22-year-old woman linked to that crime.
The men were wearing yellow jackets similar to those used by the forest service. Investigators believe they were looking to burglarize homes that had been abandoned by their owners.
Butte County Sheriff Kory Honea said any looters would be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
Authorities said there have been 53 reports of suspected looting in the fire zone.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 11-14-18, 05:19 AM   #96
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Looting, in that situation.. people are people

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-18, 12:47 PM   #97
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default WHERE THE SECOND AMENDMENT MEETS 'THE LINE OF FIRE!'

SODASPEKE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATTFISH
Looting, in that situation.. people are people
IN KALIFORNIA...ALLES KAPUT BBY
https://www.instagram.com/p/BqIEcalH...ource=ig_embed

Old 11-17-18, 12:18 PM   #98
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default FIRE UPDATE-DAY 11 NAPA AQI 175

Quote:
148,000 acres - 55% contained; Structures Destroyed: 9,844 residences, 336 commercial and 2,076 other buildings
3 injuries - 71 civilian fatalities 5,632 Total Fire Engines: 620 Total Fire Crews: 101 Total Helicopters: 24 Total Dozers: 102 Total Water Tenders: 77
THE SMOKE HAS MIND OF ITS OWN AND IS RUINING THE AIR QUALITY, PARTICULARILY IN SAN FRANCISCO WHERE I HAD TO GO TWICE IN ONE DAY ON THURSDAY: 8 AM AND IN THE EVENING AT 9PM. VISIBILITY IS 200 YARDS TOPS AND EVERYONE IS WEARING A MASK....OR SHOULD BE THE AQI (AIR QUALITY INDEX) IS IN THE 200'S
Quote:
the air is so awful is because the smoke from the fire had created an inversion layer over the Bay Area that was essentially a lid that “keeps all of the air down near ground level”.
SAFETY MASKS ARE IN SHORT SUPPLY AT HARDWARE STORES>NATURALLY, TRYING TO GUARD AN OPEN ATM MACHINE & TECHNICIAN IN PUBLIC WITH EVERYBODY WEARING A MASK CAN GET ON YOUR NERVES.... MY VIEW GOING IN THE THE BAY BRIDGE-MID MORNING><(NORMAL VS CURRENT SITUATION) CLOSING THE CAR'S ELECTRIC CABIN VENT WITH THE AC ON HELPS FILTER THE PARTICULATE MATTER; SAVING MY AGEING LUNGS A BIT....GOOD THING I JUST REPLACED THE FAN MOTOR AND CABIN FILTER ON THE CRUISER FOR THE 50 MILE COMMUTE ON I-80.> THE NIGHT DRIVING IS MISERABLE. NORMAL WESTERLY WINDS OFF THE PACIFIC SHOULD RESUME TUESDAY AND RAIN IS EXPECTED ON WEDNESDAY. ONE THOUGHT:....IT'S LIKE THIS BEIJING ....EVERY DAY! ....AND THERE'S A 'SPARE THE AIR' IN EFFECT; SO NO BBQ!

Last edited by Aktungbby; 11-17-18 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-17-18, 01:23 PM   #99
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Guess most of you already have heard of this:

https://www.iflscience.com/environme...nia-wildfires/

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-18, 02:08 PM   #100
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post

Markus
I read it and i totally disagree that it was aliens lasers from outer space or any secret weapon of the US Government.

PG&E is already planing bankruptcy due to one of their power line failures 15 minutes before the fire started

Never fear President Trump is on the way to meet with Governor Brown and others to see it first hand.

Trump to visit California wildfire zones after criticizing forest management

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...gement-n937546

Plus I think this is worse than those two east coast hurricanes this year. Trump should tell the masses of people coming up from Central America through Mexico to our border. That we have to take care of our own people first.

Hundreds of people that lost their homes are sleeping in Walmart parking lots
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-18, 02:18 PM   #101
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
[...]President Trump is on the way to meet with Governor Brown and others to see it first hand [...]
Oh please. The manager of crisis on the way. Seems California is getting more hot wind.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-18, 03:58 PM   #102
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

...or maybe he'll bring you rolls of paper towels ... which he will probably throw on the flames...

<O>
Old 11-17-18, 04:25 PM   #103
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Well that's just being mean. I expect him to shout at the flames that they're an enemy of the people.

As much as some of you here love to put down California, the area that has burned up is in a red state zone politically so he will be well received.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-18, 04:35 PM   #104
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
As much as some of you here love to put down California, ..
Canadians would never do that. Man I'm freezin'.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-18, 07:04 PM   #105
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post

Markus
I think it's drug cartels paying aliens to shoot lasers in areas that are designated for the high speed rail.
Seriously, most of these seem to be started by multiple small sources such as camp fires, rubbish fires, storm, and electric line malfunctions. Dry, hot conditions along with high winds, tend to spread the fires until they connect and form one large fire.
Last news I heard is there are over a thousand people missing.

Tags
california, wild fires