Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 10-22-06, 12:04 PM   #1
tankmodels
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Best Steel Beast tank to start with.

Hi

I'm a tank freak but real new to PC gaming and just bought Steel Beasts. Awesome is all I can say.

Just wondering if anyone can recommend the best tank to learn with.

regards

M Speed

Old 10-22-06, 02:06 PM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Learn? Hm, The Leo2A5, Leo2A4, Leo1A5 and LeoAS1 as well as the M1A1 Abrams share basic handling procedures. They differ in shooting procedures, and the Leos having an additional periscope for the TC (the Abrams has a TC-controlled .50 MG instead), as far as handling is concerned. They also differ in armour and gun calibre.

So, two advices. First, leave trying the bradley and Leo1 for last, they are by far the most vulnerable of all tanks in the sim, and will usually be killed by the first hit they receive. second, make a choice between the Leo2A5 and the Abrams - but then stick to your chosen tank for the time to come, do not jump around , so that you really learn this one vehicle in and out. The routine you gain from that will also assist you in learning the basics of tactics - because you can focus on that the more the less you need to pay attention to handle the tank. Tank handling you will soon find out to be easy, the challenge of SBT lies in the tactis and coordination department.

My personal choice was the Leo2A5. It is the most immersive tank of all,l for it is the only one with a real completed interior and clickable cockpit, it offers the TC an independent TIS, and a separate periscope. If you play from the TC's position, it'S situational awareness is simply superior to that you have in the Abrams. you also have top class armour and a top class gun and ammo, for I really struggle to see massive differences between Leo2A5 and Abrams in these two regards. The shooting procedure in the Abrams also is a bit more difficult in the Abrams, than in the Leo. But that may be routine and taste.

I make relatively little use of the Bradley's and LAVs. 80-90% of the time I use the Leo2A5.

Also, if you struggle with missions, play them again, repeatedly, but check them, eventually edit them in the editor (which is easy to learn how to handle it). For example I have replaced all units that were Abrams into Leo2s, so that I even played Abrams missions as a Leo2A5. you can also replace IFVs for additional MBTs, if the going is too tough for you.

Start with missions that leave you only one platoon to control, not several ones. "Platoon Recce" for example is a very good scenario even for repeated play (for it is randomised), and "Stryker Ambush" is a good start, too.

Oh, and pump up your gunnery score on the shooting range, for it affects the performance of your teammates as well. go back there until you have a score of 90% at least, you need to kill all ten targets with just ten shots for that (every shot a score), and need to increase your reaction time if you want to raise the score even further. It is also the place to go when you return to the sim ater having interrupted playing it for a longer while. It is surprising how fast you can loose gunnery precision and reaction time if you do not keep up your training!

Last edited by Skybird; 10-22-06 at 02:16 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-06, 06:28 PM   #3
tankmodels
Nub

Downloads: 0

Hey Skybird

Thank you very much for your detailed help and for putting me on the, erm the right track !

My son bought the sim for my birthday along with a nice nvidia graphics card and I'm determined to get to grips with it for before he challenges me to a network game.

Just loading myself up with a strong coffee and the Leo2A5 as recommeded. Got my keyword chart glued to the wall. As I normally type with one finger it's a new world of manual dexterity.

It's the gunning and driving at the same time that is twisting my brain. I did just find a Leo2A5 tutorial on the Steelbeast site so I'll download that and hope it helps.

I'll take your advice and keep repeating the same mission till I get to grips with it.

Thank you once again for your help.

regards

M Speed
tankmodels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-06, 04:13 AM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

The sim has plenty of step-by-step tutoprials, have you noticed?

Use a HOTAS, if you have. But don't forget that you also have a mouse.