SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-06-09, 02:33 PM   #1
snake152
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default SHIII without starforce copy protection

I bought a new copy of SHIII when it first came out and it worked on my dell insperion 9300 with windows XP and with the 1.4b patch. Then it got touchy at the first security screen where it checks the copy and would then either pass or fail it. numerous attempts would get it to run. Now it fails all the time. I have read, or so i think, every thread on this and UBI's board in order to get it to run, with no luck. My question is, does UBI sell an SHIII game without the starforce copy protection, or whatever it is that is causing this problem? If so, under what name or volume so that I can be sure it is a workable disk. I think that this game is probably the best ever produced, and I miss playing. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Snake152
snake152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-09, 02:53 PM   #2
Highbury
The Old Man

Downloads: 174

The only way to buy a LEGAL copy of SHIII without the protection included AFAIK is by digital means.

Here are two options:
http://www.direct2drive.com/Search.a...=Silent+Hunter
http://store.steampowered.com/app/15210

If you don't already use Steam avoid it as you will find it a hassle for just one game. If you already use it, then you would already know if you want to purchase SH that way yourself.
Highbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-09, 03:03 PM   #3
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

There is IIRC an official SH3 patched to 1.4b DVD WITHOUT starforce around. It is one of those "cheap classic" releases, but someone else will be able to tell you more.
Old 06-06-09, 03:09 PM   #4
snake152
Nub

Thx Highburry, I will give it a try, and why not? If it plays, then I can enjoy, for the first time, the mods provided by GWX. I look forward to the experience.

Snake152
Old 06-06-09, 03:34 PM   #5
Torplexed
Let's Sink Sumptin' !

Downloads: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
There is IIRC an official SH3 patched to 1.4b DVD WITHOUT starforce around. It is one of those "cheap classic" releases, but someone else will be able to tell you more.
Yes...I found a starforce-free DVD version of SH3 a few months back in February in one of the big office store chains. The so-called Encore version. It came bundled with SH2 for the nice price of $12.00
Torplexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-09, 03:39 PM   #6
snake152
Nub

I believe that I am cursed. I went to Direct 2 Drive to purchase a clean copy of SHIII and in reading the information it advises that "it does not support laptops". I have only a laptop. I am not sure what "does not support laptops" means and I have requested additional information from d2d but it does not bode well. It never ends.

Snake152
Old 06-06-09, 04:04 PM   #7
Torplexed
Let's Sink Sumptin' !

Downloads: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake152 View Post
I believe that I am cursed. I went to Direct 2 Drive to purchase a clean copy of SHIII and in reading the information it advises that "it does not support laptops". I have only a laptop. I am not sure what "does not support laptops" means and I have requested additional information from d2d but it does not bode well. It never ends.

Snake152
Well...there's always the physical option. It's working fine on my laptop and the price is down to $9.99

http://www.encoreusa.com/product.aspx?upc=705381165606
Torplexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-09, 04:45 PM   #8
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome aboard snake152

Hitman and Torplexed are very correct. I'm unaware of which country it is you reside in but there are copies already patched and without Starforce in a national chainstore here in the UK called 'GAME'

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-09, 08:59 AM   #9
Murr44
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 16

If you live in North America you could try here: http://yhst-12000246778232.stores.ya...t/sihuiii.html. I bought a "no Starforce", patched to 1.4 copy of SH3 from them a year ago when my original dvd started acting up.

Hope this helps & welcome.
Murr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 07:40 PM   #10
snake152
Nub

I want to thank all of the responders to this thread. I purchased the digital SHIII from D2D along with the patch, which was unnessary as the version delivered by D2D was volume 1.4 to start with. I then installed GWX Gold and fired it up. AND IT WORKED!!!!! No crashes, no copy protection glitches, just pure and simple game pleasure.
I need to applaud the GWX peoples as they did a wonderful job with the mods and patches. UBISoft should be paying you guys a percentage of royalties, or hire you all on to do games right. My only gripe is when it gets dark, it is freakin dark, so much so you may well forget about hunting at night. (I know, I know, sim accuracy, yada, yada, yada...) However the positives far exceed my only negitive, so I want to say thanks to you all.

Time for some tonnage.

Sincerely, Snake152
Old 06-10-09, 08:49 AM   #11
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

SINK EM ALL!!

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote