SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-11-16, 06:28 PM   #211
avers
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 586
Uploads: 0

It looks dead, the creator, mr capnscurvy, hasn't spoken in months
avers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-16, 08:23 PM   #212
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3215

No. I read recent posts from him.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-16, 01:30 PM   #213
Berserker
Aggressive skipper

Downloads: 2166

We need a update NOW!!! If nothing else just advise us if the mod is going to be posted or its dead...
Old 04-14-16, 07:37 PM   #214
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

As all things are in real life, things take a turn. Whether I complete my goals or not is up to me and whatever life puts in my path.

Several years ago I had a TIA while sitting at the computer working on SH4 modifications. It was a TIA rather than a Stroke because Stroke's cause lasting disabilities......mine thankfully were not. Although my symptoms were severe....I couldn't talk, nor move (total paralysis), I was lucky to be sitting in my desk chair listening to my wife explain what we were going to have for dinner when she finally realized I wasn't responsive. I wanted to tell her......but could not!! It wasn't until I began to fall forward out of the chair, that she caught me, figuring out what I wanted her to know but found it impossible to tell her. As the rescue squad took me away, I began to recover.

My point is, this game isn't worth collecting a blood clot due to sitting for long lengths of time at the computer!! If I complete what I'd like to do.......then I'll release it. If not.....no one is out a dime.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-16, 08:03 PM   #215
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
As all things are in real life, things take a turn. Whether I complete my goals or not is up to me and whatever life puts in my path.

Several years ago I had a TIA while sitting at the computer working on SH4 modifications. It was a TIA rather than a Stroke because Stroke's cause lasting disabilities......mine thankfully were not. Although my symptoms were severe....I couldn't talk, nor move (total paralysis), I was lucky to be sitting in my desk chair listening to my wife explain what we were going to have for dinner when she finally realized I wasn't responsive. I wanted to tell her......but could not!! It wasn't until I began to fall forward out of the chair, that she caught me, figuring out what I wanted her to know but found it impossible to tell her. As the rescue squad took me away, I began to recover.

My point is, this game isn't worth collecting a blood clot due to sitting for long lengths of time at the computer!! If I complete what I'd like to do.......then I'll release it. If not.....no one is out a dime.

Thanks for the update, Capt. Right now your health is more important than any game ever would be.

God Bless!

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-16, 09:59 AM   #216
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Thanks.

It's not that I've quit working on it, but I'm not going to spend hours at the computer like I used to.

I will show you a couple of new assets I've added to the game. Both are Japanese Hospital Ships:

Both will be added to convoys, or on separate routes throughout the Pacific. Mistakenly sink one of these and your going to hear about it back at base.

These additions aren't without issues. For some reason I can't figure out why I'm getting CTD's when I use the Recognition Manual during a Career. I'm at a loss as to why the game doesn't like me moving through the RM when viewing these two ships (even though the Museum works as expected!?!). Bottom line.....it takes time to figure things out.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
Old 04-15-16, 08:17 PM   #217
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1786

Quote:
Thanks.

It's not that I've quit working on it, but I'm not going to spend hours at the computer like I used to.

I will show you a couple of new assets I've added to the game. Both are Japanese Hospital Ships:

Both will be added to convoys, or on separate routes throughout the Pacific. Mistakenly sink one of these and your going to hear about it back at base.

These additions aren't without issues. For some reason I can't figure out why I'm getting CTD's when I use the Recognition Manual during a Career. I'm at a loss as to why the game doesn't like me moving through the RM when viewing these two ships (even though the Museum works as expected!?!). Bottom line.....it takes time to figure things out.
It's probably becouse there is something missing/wrong in the associated folder in the sea file. I had the same problem a few weeks ago and I cant remember what I did to fix the problem but it will come to me after I ponder it. My memory sucks!
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-16, 10:56 PM   #218
Crannogman
Watch Officer

Downloads: 24

Wishes for a speedy recovery. I myself have been cutting back in deference to being healthier, and agree that there are things in life more important than video games
Old 04-22-16, 07:35 AM   #219
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Thanks.

You're one guy around here for the long haul. I know you'll NEVER release a mod before it's right. We're nine years out from the release of the game. If we're still around we can wait until you are happy with your own mod.

I smell some lifestyle issues in your life. Take care of yourself. There are lots of things more important than whether we see Day of Infamy in July 2016 or January 2017.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-16, 08:11 AM   #220
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Thanks for the responses men.

I can't emphasize enough the idea of pushing away from the computer and letting real life activates fill most of your day. Frankly, I don't know how young programmers (or anyone stuck at a desk) do it?! Being young must help, but this sedimentary life style will eventually catch up with you. It effects all walks of life.......over the road truckers lead the way with strokes due to sitting for hours at the wheel.

Although I was always active while working outdoors during my life. When I retired I picked up modding that kept me sitting for ever longer periods of time. Not good for an old man when you notice your ankles swelling due to the inactivity! On the day of my TIA I had already been sitting for about 7 hours trying to figure out things when the event occurred. I was very lucky to recover completely.

Get up and out, letting the real world fill your days!! Although gaming has always been a passion of mine, I've seen the alternative........its not what you would wish for.

Quote:
Old 04-23-16, 08:26 AM   #221
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

I think you put your finger on it, Cap'n Scurvy. As much as I have loved SH4, and SH, SH2, and SH3 over the years, I have learned to add it as another compartment in my life. I try to limit time in game to an hour or so at night, although I have been known to blow a whole day on an interesting mission! I had no problem easing into retirement, because I developed many interests, including SH4, outside of my work (programming and program management). The variety keeps any one of them from getting stale, and me too, I think.

As for the younger programmers being able to sit for long hours, day after day, week after week, I did it without thinking about it. I loved the work and the challenges of solving the puzzles and putting solutions into practice. It felt good creating something still relevant today that may even outlive me.

But all that said, and as much as I am anticipating your product, no game is worth sacrificing your health. So work at your own pace as you see fit. We can wait. Just know that even your work to date is much appreciated. Thanks!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-16, 08:16 AM   #222
flaminus
Sparky

Downloads: 502
Uploads: 5

Cap'n Scurvy Recently I've played your OTC mod and that's terrific! With TMO and RSRDC the game is completely a new experience!

But one issue troubled me very much, you may find the details from here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=225854

Do you have any idea about this bug? It occurred every time since i begin a new career and almost ruin my campaign. Since you are making a new mod, i hope this information will do some help for you to find more bugs in the game. And if you can tell me something about a solution, that would be awesome.

Good health to you!
flaminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-16, 09:59 AM   #223
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Flaminus, the question about losing credit for ships sunk after doing a "save" is one I've not looked into. There should not be anything within OTC that causes the issue ....but then I'm not sure.

I'll give you an answer to what I think the issue is in the thread you mentioned above.

Quote:
Old 04-23-18, 10:01 PM   #224
avers
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 586

hey, is there any updates?
avers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-18, 11:09 AM   #225
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Hello avers, it's been a long time since I've thought of Day of Infamy.

I've been working on the Fotrs Ultimate project and have pulled over much of my previous work from OTC and Day of Infamy to the Ultimate mod. I have not pushed all of my work into the new project (missing are corrected ship dimensions that help in determining accurate Manual Targeting Calculations; or the use of the added "Range Omnimeter" tool) but, there's still time to do that for Ultimate.

The fact that Fall of the Rising Sun had so many new, beautiful ship models and planes (even though they were primarily SHIII models that have been a "royal pain" to adjust for SH4 rendering), I decided to get onto the Ultimate "modding train" to make a larger contribution to the game in general than what I could do with Day of Infamy alone.

So, my project of ideas/additions for Day of Infamy have been "transferred" to the Fotrs Ultimate mod. My hope is to produce an "all encompassing" modification for SH4, with the help of other talented modders, for a game we all love. Making it truly the "Ultimate" mod of choice!

(nice to talk to you again avers!)

Quote: