SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-22-16, 06:41 PM   #16
siege00
Officer

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by timman2112 View Post
I'm using the GeForce drivers since the Nvidia card does all the heavy lifting for all my games. It's funny because I've had trouble with older Ubisoft games before (like Splinter Cell) where it wasn't playing nicely with the Nvidia card and would blue screen every once in a while.
I wasn't able to find any new information. The dump boiled down to an NTOSKrnl error, which is pretty generic. Have you tried running it in compatibility mode for something like WinXP SP2?

Other things that I read about in researching it stated possible issues with no longer native resolutions, and pushing too many frames per second, but I'm using an Nvidia card as well with no issues. An article I read also talked about using a utility to slow down / pin the frame rates at 30 or 32. You could try using Nvidia Inspector to try to lock the game's frame rates down and see if that helps.

All of this is now experimentation. lol. Wanna give those things a shot and post back?

Edit: There's also a setting in Nvidia control panel under "Adjust desktop size and position". In that section there is a "Scaling" option. You could also try adjusting the scaling mode and whether the scaling is performed on the GPU or the display. Again, don't know if this will help but it's worth a try. For reference, my desktop is set for Aspect Ration and GPU scaling. You could also try adjusting refresh rates.

Last edited by siege00; 02-22-16 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Last minute thoughts...
siege00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-16, 06:52 PM   #17
timman2112
Watch

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege00 View Post
I wasn't able to find any new information. The dump boiled down to an NTOSKrnl error, which is pretty generic. Have you tried running it in compatibility mode for something like WinXP SP2?

Other things that I read about in researching it stated possible issues with no longer native resolutions, and pushing too many frames per second, but I'm using an Nvidia card as well with no issues. An article I read also talked about using a utility to slow down / pin the frame rates at 30 or 32. You could try using Nvidia Inspector to try to lock the game's frame rates down and see if that helps.

All of this is now experimentation. lol. Wanna give those things a shot and post back?

Edit: There's also a setting in Nvidia control panel under "Adjust desktop size and position". In that section there is a "Scaling" option. You could also try adjusting the scaling mode and whether the scaling is performed on the GPU or the display. Again, don't know if this will help but it's worth a try. For reference, my desktop is set for Aspect Ration and GPU scaling. You could also try adjusting refresh rates.
I may have fixed the problem. I downloaded that Nvidia Inspector you suggested and forced my graphics card to play SH3 at 30 fps, I've been playing for about 2 hours and I haven't crashed or got a bluescreen since. I'm also still using the 1920x1080 mod so I'm not sure if that is effecting anything.
timman2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-16, 07:56 PM   #18
siege00
Officer

That's awesome!!! Glad that there's a shot you're past it. Keep me posted.
Old 02-24-16, 06:42 PM   #19
timman2112
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege00 View Post
That's awesome!!! Glad that there's a shot you're past it. Keep me posted.
Been playing the game for a couple hours, no problem!

Thanks a lot for all of your help siege
Old 02-24-16, 07:49 PM   #20
siege00
Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timman2112 View Post
Been playing the game for a couple hours, no problem!

Thanks a lot for all of your help siege
My pleasure. Glad it worked out! Enjoy your hunts.
Old 04-27-16, 08:32 PM   #21
timman2112
Watch

Hey sorry I know I'm reviving this thread again but I ran into more blue screen crashes.

So I tried playing SH3 again only this time I downloaded GWX 3.0. The game no longer blue screens during patrols (as it was before). However, now it bluescreens whenever I'm in the main menus.

Can anybody give me some help again? I have the dump files on hand. I would really appreciate it because I would love to play this game without any problems.

Thanks
Old 04-28-16, 04:33 PM   #22
fastfed
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 246

I would suspect you're running out of Vram, HD4000, surprised it could even run this game. As old as it is I think this game is using atleast a gig of Vram. (ill check tonight)

At least @1920x1080 , how much Vram are you allowing to share?
fastfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-16, 06:34 PM   #23
timman2112
Watch

I should note that I'm not using that 1920x1080 resolution mod as stated previously in the thread, I'm just playing the game at its native resolution.

So for the HD4000 it says that the Total Available Graphics Memory is 1792MB and Dedicated Video Memory is 32MB.
Old 04-28-16, 10:06 PM   #24
timman2112
Watch

It also seems like I blue screen in the patrol stats screen right after I finish a patrol. Just wanted to throw that out there.
Old 04-28-16, 10:29 PM   #25
fastfed
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 246

32 megs?? that seems weird..

Thats right now I guess, pretty sure the HD series will use whatever memory it feels it needs, personally I would just go into the bios and change the min. from 32 to say 256. It won't impact anything but if you are playing a game and there is a dip for whatever reason in Vram it could cause an issue.
fastfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-16, 08:24 AM   #26
timman2112
Watch

Went into the BIOS on bootup, there was no option to change the vram.