SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-08-13, 12:32 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Assetto Corsa thread

Beside X Rebirth, AC is the one of only two titles I am waiting for this christmas season.

It seems we are close to release of the beta, which will be available form Steam for 35 Euros, I forgot. That is a 20 or 25% money saving compared to the final price. You have access to all later updates and the final version.

This will be an early access beta, featuring the main architecture of the program and including 8 of the planned 16 vehicle classes and 11 of the planned 35 cars, so far there are 11 tracks, but I do not know if they will all be featured in the beta already. Damage model, multiplayer and AI as well as other content will be added in updates that they plan to release every two weeks. Also, once the game has been released in full 1.0, there will be (payware) expansion packs.

Beside that, community mods can be expected - AC has been designed with heavy modding friendliness in mind.

Car brands incldued are BMW, Ferrari, Abarth, Lotus, McLaren, KTM, Pagan i and Tatuu . Among the so far confirmed tracks are Imola, Monza, Silverstone, Nurburg GP and Nurburg Nordschleife (!), Magione, Mugello, Spa Francorchamps (DLC), Vallelunga.

The sim comes with nVidia 3D vision support. It is optimised for multicore-processing. It has DirX12.

video:

t

a

(they do a n outstanding job in recreating the looks ands views of the cars they include).

More videos to be found at Youtube.

Steam. I hate it. The dfownload will kill me, no doubt, blockig my computer for 20 hours or so. But AC probably becomes the second exception from my rule, after Skyrim. I played the technical demo earlier this year, and imediately realised that the driving sensation here is different to other racing games I have played. It has that special something, convincing you of being subjected to correct physical handling, while featuring a tremendously joyful experience to drive. Plus: it looks gorgeous!

So, high expectations. The only thing that I am concerned about is how they do with their AI. netKart was a simulation with superior physics, but no AI, that's why it never became really widespread and well-known. Implementing an AI that convinces and does not look like pearls lined up of a rubber-line, is a first for them, and one can only hope that they are doing a good job there.
Old 11-08-13, 12:41 PM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Ha...! Is my timing perfect or not? When I started typing the above, their homepage was still offline for maintenance since two days, saying they will be back soon. When I posted the above and went there, it was online, saying that the game is available now via Steam Early Access. they swiched while I typed.

Just four tracks included in the first go: Imola, Monza 60's style, Magione, Silverstone.

Cars:

PRODUCTION
- ABARTH 500 ESSEESSE
- LOTUS ELISE SC
- LOTUS EXIGE SCURA

GT
- BMW M3 E30 EVOLUZIONE
- BMW M3 E92
- BMW Z4 E89

GTR
- BMW M3 GT2

CLASSIC GP
- CLASSIC TEAM LOTUS TYPE 49

SUPERCAR
- FERRARI 458 ITALIA

TRACKDAY
- KTM X-BOW R

OPEN WHEEL
- TATUUS FA01

Specs say the installation needs 15 Gb minimum on the HD, 30 Gb recommended, that gives you an idea of how long the download will be.

30...? I am swallowing.
Old 11-08-13, 01:06 PM   #3
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Firstly that 15 gig may be compressed files needing the 30 gig space. Secondly - get a wheel - during the build up to Grid 2 a group of us were playing the original, two guys got wheels and their driving improved in-game instantly.
Old 11-08-13, 03:12 PM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Of course a wheel - am I missing a point here?

The specs do not correspond with reality, my download just finished, 3.10 GB. Maybe the specs mentioned already represent the expected specs of the full game, once it is completed.

And now to Imola.
Old 11-08-13, 04:06 PM   #5
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

My point was that using a wheel is better, I didn't know if you already had one.
Old 11-08-13, 04:45 PM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

I think a racing simulation without wheel is like a flight simulation without flying things.

Okay, first impression.

Fiurst impression is: very impressive, very good.

Five tracks are included. Monza 60s is a simple highspeed track, and the viosual presentation is indeed somehow sending you back in time a bit, you really get transported into a different racing culture and surrounding. Doiung that track in the open-cockpit Lotus 49 is - stylish.

Silverstone also is not the F1 GP version, but another track setting, more simple than the GP version. I never liked Silverstone in sims, not by the flow of the track, and not by the location which is flat and make sit very difficult to see the corners. However, whiloe this difficulty in seeing the track is present - it is one of the best representations of a racing location I have seen, meaning that the surrounding, the perimeter with all the buildings and objects beside the track, the feeling of actually being part of all what is going on there, is very convincing. The track itself I still do not like, nevertheless I at least now like the location.

Then there is Imola, the one track in this beginning of the AC saga that without doubt I will drive most. I simply have a soft spot for Imola, it has been the first place I have ever driven a computer race in - on the Amiga, with grand Prix 1 by Geoff Crammond, must have been 1990... The track and location again are very well done. The visuals are nice, and very convincing to the eyes - something that is true for colour palette and the light conditions in general. Very well done place.

Magione is the track I already knew from the tech demo. The tarmac's layout imo is nothing special, imo, but the hwol location again is given a treatment with great love to detail and general atmosphere of the place. I also have th impression that it has been visually upgraded, compared to the tech demo.

Vallelunga is another nice track that swings and sways and allows for surprisingly high speeds nevertheless. Driven in a fluid, soft line, it is great pleasure.

The cars - well, seeing AND HEARING is believing. Lovely, simply lovely! The models are superb, the best in car modelling I have seen so far, and that means both the exterior and interior. The sound inside and outside the cockpit is splendid, the visual realism of the cockpits unbelievable. The cars handle differently from each other, and the handling in general is very believable, very convincing when considering each car's class and size. I cannot compare to reality, I never have driven any of these cars, I do not even own a car - but to me the driving physics just feel so very damn right. No comparison to GTR-2, the last driving sim I have used - it feels like a Matchbox toy-car, compared to AC. The great thing with the handling is that you are being given the impression of handling something of size and mass and weight indeed. Also, acceleration and deceleration feel very realistic. I like the fact that most of the cars so far are more like touring cars and none of these super-agile formula types - the latter is to hectic for my taste, where as these cars feel more like what you are used to from real street life, and gives you some more mental freedom regarding your timing and reactions. To me, that adds to the enjoyment I get from the sim.

The engine sounds as well as the muffling of sounds inside cockpits also was worth to write down some exclamation marks. Sitting in the BMW 3M was a revelation, sitting in the Ferrari and hearing the gear bttons clicking, was almost extacy. Fantastic acoustic ambience, imo. Very well done.

Mind you, this is an early-access beta. some functions are not implemented, the full content is not there, no AI racing possible currently, and still - in GTR-2 I already ended up just hotlapping on the Nordschleife, I did nothing else. With my most liked racing track Spa coming as DLC next year and in this to be expected quality, AND the Nordschleife announced as well, I am already booked for a trip to heaven. With these two things added, I already got my money'S worth.

I faced no technical issues and no stability issues. Frames always were above 60.

I give it an B+ right now, due to the lacking AI being the biggest argument against an A. I expect to correct that to an A ore A+, once they are finished with the full regular version 1.0. Is it worth the 35 bucks, considering th state it is in? To me, it is, but people may have different tastes. If you just wait for a nice racing game,l then you better wait. If you have already waited for AC since long and cry every week of more delay, you cannot go wrong in spending your money now. In the end, you save money that way. All others buying later, the version 1.0, will pay 25% more.

Outlook: extremely promising.
Old 11-09-13, 05:14 AM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

Best. Driving. Simulator.

Spent quite some time with it this night. So much excellence, both physically and visually. I'm stunned and hooked. Just that I suck at entering drifts correctly, I just mess it up. Really need to relearn things with this baby.

Will never go back to any other racing "sim" again. Except OMSI, which is something totally different anyway.
Old 11-09-13, 06:17 AM   #8
Lionclaw
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Wow!

Need to get this when I get money later this month.

Lotus 49, a screenshot shows a Ferrari 312T from '75 and a Lotus 98T from '86? No John Player Special sponsor logos, but TL. Ah saw the Lotus logo on the tip of the nose.

I love the older F1 cars, more fun to drive than the modern stuff. I wonder if they will add cars from the ground effect era. I had much fun with the cars from 1979 in rFactor with the GP79 mod.
Lionclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-13, 07:39 AM   #9
Skybird
Soaring

Check those freaking menues...

I did not tune physics options, there are options for ABS, traction control, assistances and such, but in another place than the options I so far used. I turned much of that off - and immediately felt like a a figure skater in a wheel chair, dogfighting his own shadow.

Don't get me wrong, it is not that bad, and not exaggarated. It just is so much fun, and feels absolutely right. From now on I will not even miss an AI opponent - like in Ferrari Academy and netKart, the challenge lies in already mastering the car.

Lionclaw, the looks are second to none, imo, and it seems that many people in the Steam and AC forums share my opinion. I first fell in love with the cars and colours, but now I also love the realization of every five of the tracks. One has to use a fixed camera that does not follow the car, to get stills and then really see the immense detail they out in, and appreciate it.

There is the inevitable debate on whether the physics in Iracing or AC are better. Surprisngly, maybe, quite some people rate the AC model BETTER. One has to take into account that AC focuses - so far - on cars that are closer to street-cars, not so much on highly specialized cars like formula cars. Same is true for the FF effects. In iRacing - which i do not know - they say they are more intense - but the cars AC simulates in reality give you less feedback from the car via the wheel anyway, and more from the meat you sit on. Visually almost everbody agrees that AC wins over iRacing. Physics-wise, the count of opinions so far seem to indicate a draw - obviously, both sims are very good in that regard. In the many replays of my faulty deeds I saw in slomo what the car was doing and how it behaved, how it feathered, swinged and swayed - it looks exactly how I would expect the thing to look when doing those things in reality.

I also tried the one formula-style car that so far is included this morning. What a difference to the BMW M3 E30! Not only is it faster, the whole things feels like worlds apart. I think that is how it should be! Again it also feels different than the old Lotus I tried yesterday. Point is: although the cars really feel different, they all feel very, very convincing and realistic. The differences are not artificially invented.

Fun days and months ahead. Superb simulation, really, already in the state it is in right now. Absolutely superb. To me, worth the money even if they stop development right now.
Old 11-09-13, 08:08 AM   #10
Lionclaw
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post

I did not tune physics options, there are options for ABS, traction control, assistances and such, but in another place than the options I so far used. I turned much of that off - and immediately felt like a a figure skater in a wheel chair, dogfighting his own shadow.

Don't get me wrong, it is not that bad, and not exaggarated. It just is so much fun, and feels absolutely right. From now on I will not even miss an AI opponent - like in Ferrari Academy and netKart, the challenge lies in already mastering the car.
That's the part of the fun, learning each car, finding the limit.

For as long as I can remember, I've always turned off driving aids. For example in Gran Turismo, some license test have traction control and I feel like I'm fighting the car. And without TC I can balance the car through the corner with throttle and steering.

I have a driving style that leans more towards oversteer, so the back end usually steps out a bit.

Quote:
Lionclaw, the looks are second to none, imo, and it seems that many people in the Steam and AC forums share my opinion. I first fell in love with the cars and colours, but now I also love the realization of every five of the tracks. One has to use a fixed camera that does not follow the car, to get stills and then really see the immense detail they out in, and appreciate it.

There is the inevitable debate on whether the physics in Iracing or AC are better. Surprisngly, maybe, quite some people rate the AC model BETTER. One has to take into account that AC focuses - so far - on cars that are closer to street-cars, not so much on highly specialized cars like formula cars. Same is true for the FF effects. In iRacing - which i do not know - they say they are more intense - but the cars AC simulates in reality give you less feedback from the car via the wheel anyway, and more from the meat you sit on. Visually almost everbody agrees that AC wins over iRacing. Physics-wise, the count of opinions so far seem to indicate a draw - obviously, both sims are very good in that regard. In the many replays of my faulty deeds I saw in slomo what the car was doing and how it behaved, how it feathered, swinged and swayed - it looks exactly how I would expect the thing to look when doing those things in reality.

I also tried the one formula-style car that so far is included this morning. What a difference to the BMW M3 E30! Not only is it faster, the whole things feels like worlds apart. I think that is how it should be! Again it also feels different than the old Lotus I tried yesterday. Point is: although the cars really feel different, they all feel very, very convincing and realistic. The differences are not artificially invented.

Fun days and months ahead. Superb simulation, really, already in the state it is in right now. Absolutely superb. To me, worth the money even if they stop development right now.
You're tempting me to get it now rather than later.
Old 11-09-13, 09:51 AM   #11
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

And me!

Luckily today is the 14-days-to-payday point so I can buy it on Steam and use PayPal's 'pay after delivery' option.

Old 11-09-13, 06:18 PM   #12
Skybird
Soaring

Okay you two, then it is time to close in for the kill:

Don'T think the drifting in AC is arcadish. It is not. The way the tyres regain grip when leaving a drift, feels different and much more believable here than in any other game I ever played. Extremely polished physics. I read many comments over the course of this day of people who copare AC to other titles, including iRacing and rFactor 2, and say that AC blows them off the track regarding several physics details. All I can say is: it feels how imo it should feel. It convinces me of driving on real tires and real suspension.

Old 11-09-13, 06:54 PM   #13
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Quote:
That was unnecessary, just after my last post I bought it and left it downloading whilst I went shopping. D/l was only 1.5 Gigs though.

Anyhoo, I've just spent the last 90 minutes in it. That 458 just doesn't want to turn in or stop!!! Even cadence braking and dropping the gears before and in the corners it's a nasty piece of work. I love it but it's an unhealthy relationship that's going to get me killed! Maybe TC off will be better for me?

What I found amazing was with the defaulted gfx settings I was seeing 170-180 fps. So I thought I'd max it out to see the difference and it dropped down to 11. A bit of compromise later and I'm now a regular 70.

Looking forward to the multiplayer side of things, as long as they can get any damage modelling and physics right, and the obvious collision boxes!
Old 11-09-13, 08:07 PM   #14
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
That was unnecessary, just after my last post I bought it and left it downloading whilst I went shopping. D/l was only 1.5 Gigs though.
Check your steam folder holding AC. It should be 3.1 GB, judging by my own.

Quote:
Anyhoo, I've just spent the last 90 minutes in it. That 458 just doesn't want to turn in or stop!!! Even cadence braking and dropping the gears before and in the corners it's a nasty piece of work. I love it but it's an unhealthy relationship that's going to get me killed! Maybe TC off will be better for me?
The controllers need to be tried for different settings, and then finetuned, that I learned yesterday. Especially rotating angle of the wheel (my wheel is not allowing two or three full rotations but just three quarters, that translates into a wheel range of 240 in the options. Also experiment with the other settings there. Finally, in the physics options, turn off ABS (is it that in English, too?), traction control and all that - avoid the mistake I made yesterday. The car becomes more unstable that way, but you cannot do some of the more advanced manouvers with leaving these driving assistants on - they are designed to avoid what yoiu want to do - enter a spin or drift, for example.

Also increase the FFB, from 100 default to something in the range of 125-150, depending on taste. I just did so at Monza - and suddenly felt every scratch in the conrete I was jumping over (in the Formula Abarth). I think they are not finished with FFB anyway.

I tried the Ferrari just once so far, and found it to be a very smooth thing. But that was before I switched off the assistants. The two modern Lotus and the BMW Z4 are very responsive and agile cars without being unfair.

The car setup in the box already functions, btw. Change tires, pressure, etc. Some cars do not allow certain settings being changed.

The F-keys during replay allow several manipulations of the viewing angles, some of the additional to what the replay menu allows. You figured out how the apps system works, yes? It's one of those ingenious design decisions of theirs.

+ and + keys on numpad move your seat forward and back.

Find documents\assetto corsa\cfg\race.cfg, and the line

[LAP_INVALIDATOR]
ALLOWED_TYRES_OUT=2

Change "2" to a number 1-4, to decide how many tires must leave the tarmac to trigger penalties. I found that very annoying, and entered "-1", switching them off completely.

Drive, drive, drive!
Old 11-10-13, 02:58 AM   #15
Lionclaw
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
No need, I got it yesterday afternoon.

The sense of speed seems to be on the realistic side compared to other racing games. I'm carrying too much speed into the corners, it will take some time to get used to.