SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-22-18, 10:12 PM   #31
Mspot
Bosun

Downloads: 57
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgard View Post
Hull-popping, up or down, would have to be across the board for both sides. Another input by the sonar team.

Also, the sonar team calling out bearings for torpedo launches to go with the little green flash that visually disappears so quickly.
I was referring to us hearing the sounds of our own sub as we descend and ascend, not the sonar man calling it out -- similar to Tom Clancy's SSN game and Janes 688i and follow on games.
Mspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-18, 10:21 PM   #32
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48

Would it just be a sound file that is programed to play during certain event, ie ascending or descending.

Could the sonar operator play that sound when he hears another nearby sub doing it?
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 10:34 AM   #33
Rufus Shinra
Soundman

Location: The land of the free with a glorious military history (France)
Downloads: 14

If I had one request, which, I suppose, could be done through mods, it would be the addition of a "Hollywood mode" for the game, to use the really great visuals for guilty pleasure between a few realistic campaigns. Maybe some tweaked values to make dodging torpedoes more spectacular, having torpedoes exploding dramatically near the submarine after being dodged, that kind of thing.

Now, don't get me wrong, I DO enjoy the effort made in the game, and playing it smart and slow is definitely rewarding when you take out an entire Soviet SAG with your old submarine by pushing their carrier into the torpedo kept below the layer, undetected before it's too late. But some of the fondest memories are also when I run like a madman towards a Victor III, two torpedoes hot on my ass and pull a Red October on it, cheering as the two fishes lock on their own shooter allowing my sub to walk away with a huge explosion at my back.

Crimson Tide is silly, and some of the stuff showed in other movies are silly too, but I doubt I am alone in having this small voice telling me that it could be awesome to recreate some of the scenes.

The other thing I would really love would be some more relief, maybe procedurally-generated, to have the kind of canyons like Red Route 1 for a high-risk high-reward gameplay, though I already imagine that it would be hell to implement, particularly with relation to AI behaviour.
Rufus Shinra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 11:48 AM   #34
oscar19681
Admiral

Downloads: 119

what i would like to see..

1) Seal Teams that actually apear in the 3-d world (maybe with a seal delivery vehicle of some sort on the hull or a rubber boat)

2) Hull sound when reaching deeper depth a la Hunt for the red october

3) DSRV missions including visible DRSV in the 3-d world

4) Water transparency (esspecially on possible pacific mission)

5) rudementry 3-d controll room

6) Camera fly-by Option

7) ability to man the sail when leaving/entering port (assuming the 3-d port pics of upcomminh version 1.1 Will offer the option of doing So)

8) More detailed ocean bottom with canyons (featureless bottem of sand gets kinda boring after a while.

Jim Morrison 1943-1971

Last edited by oscar19681; 02-26-18 at 08:10 AM.
oscar19681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 01:32 PM   #35
shipkiller1
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSmith63 View Post

1. Allow Active Intercept System to be used for target detection, limited TMA. Regardless of the likely classified capabilities of these systems, I think it is logical to assume that a sub’s active intercept system can be used to initially detect a contact, start a contact track, and possibly to do some rudimentary form of TMA and classification. For TMA, maybe just give it the same capabilities as a regular sonar hearing a faint signal with a small bearing rate change.
This is a good idea but in the time frame of the game, WLR-9 Active Intercept was for display only and the data was not fed into Fire Control. The bearing were plotted on the Geoplot.

Quote:
2. Quicker TMA solution when holding a contact on both hull and towed sonar. I started a separate thread on this last month but wanted to include
Quote:
it here as well. Taking simultaneous readings from two passive sonars 2,000 feet apart should provide enough basic triangulation to at least eliminate a number of possible target range/course combinations and speed up the TMA process, especially at the short tactical ranges in CW.

Works well in theory but not in actual practice at the time.

Quote:
3. Start Further Away from Contacts. Especially in 1.09 I seem to always start nearly in active sonar range of the bad guys, which does not seem very realistic. Allow us to start up to 40,000 yards away from contacts, which is probably a more realistic passive direct path range for initial contact of many surface ships, especially tankers, amphibs, etc.
Yea, this works. The larger the ship, the higher the generated self noise level (louder). The smaller the ship the quieter it is a slow speeds.

The feature I would most like is the ability to shoot at flank. All US submarines have been able to do this for over 50 years... sometime you just need to put a 21" countermeasure out in the water to disrupt the badguys...
shipkiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 11:02 PM   #36
Mspot
Bosun

Downloads: 57

I like the shoot at flank comment.

In terms of starting at a greater range (distance), I believe you can in this game; you merely have to click that distance/range button when presented that "intermission" (contact) screen. I believe it is set to select 10k-yards, 15k-yards, 20k-yards, and 25k-yards.
Mspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-18, 10:54 AM   #37
somedude88
Torpedoman

Downloads: 54

Ability to fire spreads for the MK16 dumb torpedoes, (instead of firing them off individually) especially for the early campaign. Also the ability to have the MK16 torpedoes run patterns.

3d model of the towed array sonar,

make the sim as realistic as possible.

option to not see airplanes/helicopters/undetected weapons. It feels like cheating. You can still see them in the distance when you're looking at ownship, even though they aren't on the tab map.

Easier way to guide torpedoes by wire? They keep locking onto an unwanted target and then I have to babysit them till they reach the ones I meant for them to take out.

skill and Personnel management? not going to die on this hill but I think it would make it interesting.

Also make the minimap and the Tab map 2 different maps, any changes to the tab map carries over to the minimap and that gets annoying.

More tools for enemy AI, like their version of the MOSS.

Last edited by somedude88; 03-22-18 at 11:13 AM.
somedude88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-18, 04:45 PM   #38
Capt. Morgan
Commander

Downloads: 391

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedude88 View Post
option to not see airplanes/helicopters/undetected weapons. It feels like cheating. You can still see them in the distance when you're looking at ownship, even though they aren't on the tab map.
I second that one especially. I can control myself enough to not hit F4/F3/F2 in tight situations, but not F1 (I still love seeing the wreckage on the bottom). An optional ability (in play, preferably) to shut off 3D rendering of anything you can't see on the tactical map would great.

As far as preventing wire-guided weapons from locking on to unintended targets, I believe that's how they actually worked back then, and sometimes they do lock on to something you didn't know was there.

I'd like to see a circle of confusion around target depth like you have with range (at least at realistic and elite levels), so that you can't instantly tell if you've misidentified a surface target as submerged or vice versa.

Being able to access your current orders at the Strategic Map would also be helpful for anyone playing more than one campaign at the same time

Capt. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-18, 09:11 PM   #39
Delgard
Skipper

To avoid chasing unwanted targets, can the torpedoes be set for min/max depth?

What is reality?
Old 04-03-18, 01:51 AM   #40
Capt.Hunt
Loader

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedude88 View Post
Ability to fire spreads for the MK16 dumb torpedoes, (instead of firing them off individually) especially for the early campaign. Also the ability to have the MK16 torpedoes run patterns.
As I understand it, subs can't really volley fire torpedoes, if that's what you're asking for. Even in spreads you'd have to fire them a few seconds apart, although I'd love to be able to preset the gyros to streamline the firing sequence.
Capt.Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-18, 08:06 PM   #41
shipkiller1
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgard View Post
To avoid chasing unwanted targets, can the torpedoes be set for min/max depth?

What is reality?
In reality, yes.
Old 04-04-18, 08:13 PM   #42
shipkiller1
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Hunt View Post
As I understand it, subs can't really volley fire torpedoes, if that's what you're asking for. Even in spreads you'd have to fire them a few seconds apart, although I'd love to be able to preset the gyros to streamline the firing sequence.
It depends on what your definition if a 'volley' is. On US Submarines, you cannot launch two simultaneously, but you would need a gap of around 5 seconds between port and starboard sides. This is just the button pushing to switch between sides and going through the procedures for launch. Besides, you would NEVER volley fire acoustic homing weapons. The game does not model (nor could it) mutual interference on each weapon.
Old 04-04-18, 10:12 PM   #43
Delgard
Skipper

Hmmm, vareeee ienteressting.
Old 04-23-18, 12:57 PM   #44
Mitchmaker
Sonar Operator

Downloads: 71

As i mentioned in another thread.
We need more options for the torpedos.
Swim them out, use them as foward sonar sensors, change their speed while running, designate them to certain target, and deactivate them if needed.
Old 04-23-18, 07:34 PM   #45
shipkiller1
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchmaker View Post
As i mentioned in another thread.
We need more options for the torpedos.
Swim them out, use them as foward sonar sensors, change their speed while running, designate them to certain target, and deactivate them if needed.
The MK-48 CANNOT be shot in swimout. I cannot go into the why's but it needs to see some acceleration for the motor to start.

Correct. You should be able to change speeds and depth at any point in the torpedo run with the exception of the first 'so many seconds' after launch, providing you have the wire of course.

Yes, you can command shutdown the weapon if the wire is good. As I have said on several occasions, the MK-48 does NOT detonate at end of run. It just shuts down....