SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-07-07, 05:31 PM   #706
FooFighters
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 16
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose
Quote:
Originally Posted by FooFighters
@Elder-Pirate.. I always thought that gif and jpeg were roughly the same size.
Only different texture compression.
The big problem with my uploaded shots was the size. I forgot to resize them to 800x600. Thats done now.. hope it works better.

@Rose.. I have everything up (minus fog). The beauty is that I only have a medium PC.. AMD64 3000+, 2GB ram, 7600GT 256 GPU.
The only mods I use in the pictures are
* My high-res skins
* TM
* Officer hat and uniforms by captain cox
* bowwave and tower graphic by captain cox
Ahh, it must be the high-res skins. Amazing. I'll have to DL them . How is your frame-rate?
In port and heavy traffic.. aprox fps 24+
The rest 28+

This forum is not the same without you Dave.. we'll miss you buddy
FooFighters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-07, 07:15 PM   #707
Elder-Pirate
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooFighters
@Elder-Pirate.. I always thought that gif and jpeg were roughly the same size.
Only different texture compression.
The big problem with my uploaded shots was the size. I forgot to resize them to 800x600. Thats done now.. hope it works better.

There's quite a bit of difference if you have "Dial-UP" ( as I mentioned in other post ), It may take 5 minutes to load one GIF Image pic of 237,000 bytes at 800 x 600 resolution while 2 sec using high speed Internet. Your pic at 237,004 bytes 800 x 600 useing GIF Image below:

And my copy changed to JPEG at 800 x 600 resolution and only 36,253 bytes.

Compare the pics. the JPEG the "Dial-Up" person will choose, the GIF Image He/She will probably not. Also it saves space here on the forum. Neal pays enough now.
Its just another couple seconds and a few more buttons to change the pics to JPG and upload. Use Paint if nothing else on your computer, it works just fine.
Old 06-07-07, 10:16 PM   #708
GTHammer
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 4

Thought I'd post a couple of pics.

My crew scares me sometimes....

These are flares the Destroyers shot up to look for me at night...thought it was kindof cool.

Last edited by GTHammer; 06-08-07 at 12:42 AM.
GTHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-07, 12:33 AM   #709
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

My first screenshot taken on a P2.4 / ATi 800pro / 1 gig ram

Last edited by THE_MASK; 06-12-07 at 02:03 AM.
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-07, 04:29 AM   #710
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Why is it that my pictures look woeful on my laptop with 1280x768x60hz screen and fantastic on my 1024x768x72hz old crt monitor ..
Old 06-08-07, 05:22 AM   #711
FooFighters
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober
Why is it that my pictures look woeful on my laptop with 1280x768x60hz screen and fantastic on my 1024x768x72hz old crt monitor ..
I still go for CRT because they look so much sharper..

This forum is not the same without you Dave.. we'll miss you buddy
FooFighters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-07, 05:28 PM   #712
JALU3
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0

*******ing A!

OK . . . so I have a medium sized convoy heading right at me . . . I open all my torpedo doors, set proper depths for target, and drop to 100 ft depth . . . and rig for silent running . . . all of a sudden, even though I have nothing active, I get pinged out of the blue . . . depth charged with little notice . . . and start taking aft damage . . . I start repairs, try to quietly get out of dodge, hoping the prop noise from the merchants behind the lead DD which detected me would muffle my escape . . . and the flooding gets me past crush depth . . . no choice, I gotta blow balast tanks . . . basically I was going to be shot up by the dd screen.

*******ing A!

Time to reload the last save point 10 game days in the past!

I don't see what I did wrong, I lined up to my targets, I went silent and had nothing running . . . just bad luck I guess . . . but still pisses me off
sense of right and wrong."
-Sloan, Section Thirty-One
JALU3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-07, 06:51 PM   #713
JALU3
Grey Wolf

A SS can sink a ramming BB

So I reload the game, and steam elsewhere, and my radar man picks up a Task Force with a good angle of attack . . . and the weather is miserable, you can barely see past the bow of the ship . . . middle of the night, rain that looks like chalk streaks, all to the nines . . . and all of a sudden from my aft a destroyer comes barrellings at me at flank speed, I go to battle stations, and go emergency reverse . . . bamb . . . we colide she goes to my starboard and passes me, fire a torp for good measure . . . boom she goes up in flames . . . second destoyer comes from my aft . . . not even two minutes after the first . . . bamb . . . we collide, and she goes to by port . . . she goes past me and dissapears in to the night . . . so far no damage, no casualties . . . another two minutes past . . . and out of the darkness with her search lights blaring comes another destoyer . . . my deck gun ablazing . . . bamb . . . we collide again . . . this time all the bells and wistles start going of damage here . . . injuries here . . . massive flooding . . . she passes me I fire a torp . . . he lights up like a dry christmas tree on New Years . . . two ships down . . . I am barely staying a float . . . damage everywhere, all but the front torpedo room damaged, and flooding . . . so several hours pass . . . damage control progressing slower then a slug on a treadmill . . . and I am keeping a float by periodically blowing the ballast tanks . . . dawn comes . . . and I am still socked in with fog . . . and out of no where a Yamato class comes past my bow . . . I fire two fish, both hit at 15ft . . . and she continues to steam along like nothing happened . . . then from my port side an Isa class BB comes barelling down at me . . . and the crunch sound begins in earnest . . . flooding, once level, but deadly . . . starts on all sections, save the front torpedo room, my nose sticking out like the Tower of Pisa . . . and I hear them say the thing when a ship sinks . . . I look at the map . . . and low and behold the Isa is destroyed . . . but her weight takes her down with me . . .

Time for another reload . . . that was bad @ss . . . but I'd rather sail to fight another day
Old 06-08-07, 08:50 PM   #714
JALU3
Grey Wolf

OK . . . third times the charm? Not quiet

So I reload the game . . . track the same task force . . . and instead steam further down its course so I can get it closer to dusk . . . and steam fast enough so I am right in her travel paths . . . so I set all six forward torpedoes to 27.5 degress (just in case the rough seas make them go deep) . . . dive to 200 feet, and wait for the DD screen to pass . . . they pass . . . without event . . . and I come to Periscope depth . . . and there the lead ship is . . . the Yamato . . . 1400yds infront of me . . . I reset the torps to fast setting . . . and target the Yamato and the Ise behind her . . . let four fish fly at the Y and 2 at the Ise . . . three hit the Y + 1 dud . . . and two hit the Ise . . . I dive deep and head below the remaining passing task force . . . the DDs loose me . . . and I wait two hours (time compressed) to unleash my remaining aft torpedoes (4 in total) . . . still silent running . . . And a Kuma has staid behind while the rest of the TF has sailed off. So I figure . .. why not . . . so I send 2 to the Kuma . . . 1 at 30 to the Y . . . and 1 at 30 at the Ise . . . The Y is dead in the water as in is the Ise (plus a 15 degree Starboard list) . . . all hit . . . and I turn it around and await an hour . . . but low and behold one more torp left . . . I had sunk 5 ships previously in that patrol . . . and apparently ran out without realizing . . . so I use that last one on the Y at 32 feet depth . . . hit . . . nothing, she remains afloat . . . I spend the rest of the dusk expending all my deck gun ammo at the Ise with no effect . . . leaving with no sinkings to go on my record.

I am steaming for the nearest tender (at Guadalcanal) and steaming back hoping that they remain . . . doubt it . . . but I will finish my story later, and will tell you al what happens. Pray for me that they remain there dead in the water, once I get new fish. It's a 3100 mile turn around, but here's hoping.
Old 06-08-07, 08:55 PM   #715
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

JALU....

While we apprecieate and enjoy your patrol reports. The use of the enter key (paragraphs) instead of ... would be greatly apprecieated.

@ Capt BC... Good job sailor.
SteamWake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-07, 09:13 PM   #716
JALU3
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamWake
JALU....

While we apprecieate and enjoy your patrol reports. The use of the enter key (paragraphs) instead of ... would be greatly apprecieated.

@ Capt BC... Good job sailor.

Yah, sorry about that.

Well I steamed to Guadalcanal at Standard . . . and steamed back the same . . . and when I returned . . . no one was left. Where the Yamato was was a grey symbol for a sunken ship, but not the usual read symbol. Furthermore, neither the Yamato or the Ise were added to my sunken ship log. I have never ran into that symbol before, but it was a good try. To bad my fish didn't sink either of those ships. They must have sent out an oceangoing tug from Truk.
Atleast I will be satisfied to know that both ships will take several months in the docks before their guns can lend support down in Guadalcanal again.

In my game it's only mid September '42 so every out of action BB, the better.
Old 06-08-07, 11:39 PM   #717
CDR Resser
Lieutenant

Downloads: 59
Default New Screen Shots

I thought that I would post a few shots from my latest efforts. I couldn't sleep any way.
Black and White experiment

Hey, I finally hit something!

It might even sink

The deep breath before the plunge.

Hope you like 'em.

Holy Equestrian Order of Saint John Moses
Sometimes, in war, there is an inverse moral. The greater the performance, the harsher the consequence. R.H. O'Kane
CDR Resser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-07, 04:33 AM   #718
Steel_Tomb
Ace of the Deep

Sober I see you've got green lines on the side of the screens, I've got the same problem. Does anyone know what it is/how to solve it? Its really off putting.
Steel_Tomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-07, 06:06 AM   #719
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Tomb
Sober I see you've got green lines on the side of the screens, I've got the same problem. Does anyone know what it is/how to solve it? Its really off putting.
I just centre the screen with the monitor buttons until i cannot see them . I am sure there was an early thread on this somewhere .
Old 06-09-07, 08:11 AM   #720
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

nighttime

Tags
screenshots