SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-01-10, 10:33 AM   #16
scrapser
Captain

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 0

So does this mean it would be possible to completely change SHV to be akin to SH3 with all boats available, accurately modeled, and include the full period of the war? In short, an upgraded version of SH3? Perhaps even include the PTO? That would be incredible but I'm probably dreaming right now.
i7 920 CPU
TR 120 Extreme HS (lapped)
6 GB OCZ Platinum 1600 (8x175 = 1400)
BFG GTX 295
Silverstone DA1000W PSU
Sony GDM-FW900 24" Wide Screen CRT
WinXP Pro 32-bit
scrapser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 10:34 AM   #17
Drifter
Frogman

Downloads: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
I was not aware of these mods. Methinks I must have another look at the Oblivion modding scene, because while I love Oblivion, I was pretty displeased that it wasn't more immersing (I missed things like having to sleep, having to eat, your clothes getting wet, etc.).

Either way, this is awesome news!
Please try Oblivion again. You have no idea what modders have done to that game compared to vanilla. Amazing stuff indeed.

Look here:

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.co...ir=DESC&w=&p=1

http://www.tesnexus.com/

My No Psychic Guards mod has almost 57,000 downloads now! One of the most popular mods for Oblivion.

Anyways, I don't want to hijack my own thread. I wish I could get a look at some of the SH5 script commands.
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 10:36 AM   #18
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 470
Uploads: 10

I had several gigs worth of Oblivion Mods on my last playthrough... one of the best games ever once modded.
gutted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 10:39 AM   #19
Drifter
Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapser View Post
So does this mean it would be possible to completely change SHV to be akin to SH3 with all boats available, accurately modeled, and include the full period of the war? In short, an upgraded version of SH3? Perhaps even include the PTO? That would be incredible but I'm probably dreaming right now.
I cannot really say for sure as I do not yet know how limited the scripting is for SH5. If the UBI devs were really liberal in the script commands made available in the tool set, then I can see almost unlimited potential. Yes, your dream SH5 might actually happen someday.

But I'm not trying to give anyone false hopes here. We will just have to wait and see.
Old 03-01-10, 10:42 AM   #20
Heretic
Commodore

Downloads: 240
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
I was not aware of these mods. Methinks I must have another look at the Oblivion modding scene, because while I love Oblivion, I was pretty displeased that it wasn't more immersing (I missed things like having to sleep, having to eat, your clothes getting wet, etc.).

Either way, this is awesome news!
Look for Delte's Thread of Immersion mods. Great stuff from like-minded folks.
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 10:43 AM   #21
Safe-Keeper
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 11

Quote:
Please try Oblivion again. You have no idea what modders have done to that game compared to vanilla. Amazing stuff indeed
I thought I had it made when I found the UI fix (made text smaller and whatnot) and the community patch that fixed like a million bugs.

I'll go have another look to be sure:

Quote:
Look for Delte's Thread of Immersion mods. Great stuff from like-minded folks.
Found it!
http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/in...c=1046815&st=0

[/off-topic :P ]
Safe-Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 10:45 AM   #22
Gedis
Watch

Downloads: 26

integrated scripting is good, but when there gonna be a lot of mods and lots of different aproaches, causing lots of scripts, there gonna be a performance loss too.
same happened to ofp/arma...
i vote yes to scripting, but only where it is really needed.

P.S. my first post in subsim after years of anonimous reading/watching
Gedis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 10:45 AM   #23
rik007
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 117

That is very good news indeed. I see already hooks for events like DC, Fire. Need to exercise my python knowledge.
rik007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 10:48 AM   #24
Drifter
Frogman

Good. I am happy to see modders here are awakening to the potentially unlimited power of scripting SH5. Go get 'em guys.
Old 03-01-10, 10:51 AM   #25
Drifter
Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedis View Post
integrated scripting is good, but when there gonna be a lot of mods and lots of different aproaches, causing lots of scripts, there gonna be a performance loss too.
same happened to ofp/arma...
i vote yes to scripting, but only where it is really needed.

P.S. my first post in subsim after years of anonimous reading/watching
I agree. Many Oblivion mods are incompatible with each other due to conflicting scripts. And yes, sloppy scripts can really kill game performance.

But all in all, I think there should be a celebration that they even included scripting ability in SH5.
Old 03-01-10, 11:00 AM   #26
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
My No Psychic Guards mod has almost 57,000 downloads now! One of the most popular mods for Oblivion.
OMG I think I downloaded that mod 10 times or more . Oblivion did allow one to practically turn it into another game altogether. I used about 100 mods in it and it felt more like Stalker than Oblivion.

Now scripts are fun and all, but the main question is: will we be able to CREATE variables and save/load their status in the normal Save files? If so... my god this will be fun
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 11:04 AM   #27
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Should I amend the title to "complaining" ?
Old 03-01-10, 11:07 AM   #28
Drifter
Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by karamazovnew View Post
OMG I think I downloaded that mod 10 times or more . Oblivion did allow one to practically turn it into another game altogether. I used about 100 mods in it and it felt more like Stalker than Oblivion.

Now scripts are fun and all, but the main question is: will we be able to CREATE variables and save/load their status in the normal Save files? If so... my god this will be fun
Hey, I hope you liked that mod. As you know, it allows killing people without guards always popping up out of nowhere. Assassin characters are so much more fun. Hehe.

Anyways, as far as saving modded games, I'm really not sure how that works.
Old 03-01-10, 11:07 AM   #29
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
Whining is better under the circumstances. Most of us haven't yet bought the game. Thus we can only whine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
Hey, I hope you liked that mod. As you know, it allows killing people without guards always popping up out of nowhere. Assassin characters are so much more fun. Hehe.

Anyways, as far as saving modded games, I'm really not sure how that works.
I was more of a "scared cat hiding in the dark" than "assassin" but it sure was great to kill a merchant and steal his mithril armor without Monty Python guards hearing me from 10 km away. Your mod one of the essential fixes to the game. So let me also wish you a great welcome to this community and hope to see mods for SH5 from you

As for variables and save games, if it works as Oblivion did, it should be ok. For example, the hunger mod saved the status of a user-created variable.
There's one more thing I actually DO worry about. They said that you can't write stuff in the commander's log. That's so easy to do that I need to wonder why they chose not to implement such a simple thing. It would be a great asset if we could create Text-Boxes and buttons that take those variables and start scripts based on them. If we could mod in stuff like "increase depth by X meters", we could turn this baby into pretty much the perfect sim
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 11:08 AM   #30
Drifter
Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
How about just:

Enormous potential- SH5 allows scripting!

That would be nicer. Thank you.