0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-10, 08:29 AM   #1501
Brag
Navy Seal

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

The opening paragraqph is absolutely brilliant .

Another article in the avalanche of negative press that is burying Mr. Ubi Sammich.

Is a Turkey sandwich a lower level of ham sandwich intelligence?
Order Kingmaker here: http://www.subsim.com/store.html
For Tactics visit:http://www.freewebs.com/kielman/
Old 02-22-10, 08:33 AM   #1502
piri_reis
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 115

A publisher will die, and a new publisher shall take its place.

Lt.z.S. Barbaros Hayreddin, U-35, 2nd Flot/Kiel, Type VIIB
Oct.29.1939, 2nd Patrol Eastern English Waters
Running SH5/TWOS
Old 02-22-10, 08:34 AM   #1503
Iron Budokan
Sea Lord

Downloads: 32

Good article. He pulled no punches.

Despite the vocal attempt of a few Ubi apologists (who, I should point out, haven't played the game either, which is always their first argument against those of us who question this DRM policy) this whole being online thing for a single player game is a really bad one. This article points out why in a clear and succinct manner.

He made one very telling point. Ubi is the same company that foisted Starforce upon us. Given that track record no one should be too surprised Ubi has made yet another, unforgivable, misstep.

http://kennethmarkhoover.com
Old 02-22-10, 08:36 AM   #1504
Mud
Captain

Downloads: 50

Ubisoft has a popup for registration you product now/ remind me in 7days/ never.

Why not do: you want to validate your product on boot/ once a day/ once a week and let keep our save game on our own computer.
If it won't validate at least once a week it stops working, simple as that.

Mud
Old 02-22-10, 08:48 AM   #1505
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Budokan View Post
He made one very telling point. Ubi is the same company that foisted Starforce upon us. Given that track record no one should be too surprised Ubi has made yet another, unforgivable, misstep.
But he also forgets that Ubisoft is one of a few publishers that actually releases for some of its game an official patch that removes drm down the line (I can think of Lock-on, SH III and Chessmaster X).
They also publish from time to time drm free games (HAWX and the latest episode of Prince of Persia). Ubisoft is a publisher that when it comes to drm is very schizophrenic. Right now they are in the all or nothing DRM phase, unfortunately for those that appreciate Ubsisoft's games.
Old 02-22-10, 08:49 AM   #1506
Iron Budokan
Sea Lord

Which means you have to log on every week to validate your game? Forget that. Some of us have lives.

Old 02-22-10, 08:59 AM   #1507
Mud
Captain

Downloads: 50

Simple click on the button validate seems no big deal to me.

Mud
Old 02-22-10, 09:38 AM   #1508
Brag
Navy Seal

Downloads: 2

Heh, here we go again, corralled into the gawd almighty thread..

Well, like Iron Bodukan said elswhere, "I smell death."

Nothing can save Ubi unless they start listening. By being stuck in one thread, our outraged houling is muted only a little bit.
Order Kingmaker here: http://www.subsim.com/store.html
For Tactics visit:http://www.freewebs.com/kielman/
Old 02-22-10, 09:50 AM   #1509
Iron Budokan
Sea Lord

Online one-time authentication? All right. I can live with that. I don't like it. But I can live with it.

Connection 24/7 for a single player game? Puh-leeze.

Old 02-22-10, 09:52 AM   #1510
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brag View Post
Nothing can save Ubi unless they start listening. By being stuck in one thread, our outraged houling is muted only a little bit.
There are just people sick of seeing the DRM topic permeate every single thread in the forum. I know you see this as some kind of righteous crusade, but there are others who just want to read about and discuss the game itself. So actually, "by being stuck in one thread" the forum is being kept neat and organized and discussion topics are kept homogeneous.

Quite frankly, and take it for what you will, your constant harping on DRM with every single post is getting old. You're not going to buy the game - we get it.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
Old 02-22-10, 10:03 AM   #1511
Méo
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brag View Post
Heh, here we go again, corralled into the gawd almighty thread..

Well, like Iron Bodukan said elswhere, "I smell death."

WHAT???

As far as I'm concerned, this is the ''Silent Hunter 5'' forum and not ''DRM'' forum or ''OSP in Silent Hunter 5'' forum.

Of course OSP is part of SH5, discussion should be allowed.

But what should not be allowed is to let the ''Silent Hunter 5'' forum being overwhelmed by DRM/OSP.

BTW, this forum had been overwhelmed by DRM/OSP few weeks ago, Moderators have been tolerant, but now I believe it is legitimate that people who wants to come here and read/learn/discuss about other aspects of the game without being continuously hijacked by DRM discussion.

----

Edit: Mookie, I didn't see your post while I was typing, agree 100%
Old 02-22-10, 11:21 AM   #1512
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Q: What do you think Houston's chances are this year?

A: DRM sucks!

I am on record as standing firmly against the scheme, and I keep insisting I won't buy the game while it's there, but I agree with Mookie - it's getting old.

Maybe I'll be driven to change my mind and buy it, just to be contrary to the contrarians.
Old 02-22-10, 11:37 AM   #1513
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireship4 View Post
It says in this article that with this system "the game doesn't save before it throws you out." (!)

Does this mean when it "pauses" as you loose your connection, you don't have the option to save between then and exiting the game? Or that you do, but when it finally exits there is no automatic save?
The game can save locally, so it would make sense that the game, upon detecting a loss of internet connectivity, saved your game locally. It certainly can't save it online after all. As you can only resume the game when your game is validated, there is no risk in allowing the legitimate customer to save an 'emergency' save locally.

Unfortunately, Ubisoft don't do things that make sense.
Old 02-22-10, 11:53 AM   #1514
Seafireliv
Gunner

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookiemookie View Post
There are just people sick of seeing the DRM topic permeate every single thread in the forum. .
And perhaps there`s a very good reason why? If 80% of members feel strongly about an issue, is it right to then to corral them in a pen so the minority can hail the praises of some other minor thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookiemookie View Post
I know you see this as some kind of righteous crusade, but there are others who just want to read about and discuss the game itself. So actually, "by being stuck in one thread" the forum is being kept neat and organized and discussion topics are kept homogeneous.

Quite frankly, and take it for what you will, your constant harping on DRM with every single post is getting old. You're not going to buy the game - we get it.
And it`s that kind of attitude that allows companies like UBI to think they can get away with what they`re doing.

Funny to think that our `harping on` in our `righteuous crusade` will actually benefit the likes of YOU as well as us if UBI turn it around. And I`ll bet you won`t thank us later when they do.

Better that if you aren`t going to help make things better that you just don`t say anything at all and play your leased internt 24\7 singleplayer game when you get it.
Old 02-22-10, 11:56 AM   #1515
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafireliv View Post
And perhaps there`s a very good reason why? If 80% of members feel strongly about an issue, is it right to then to corral them in a pen so the minority can hail the praises of some other minor thing?
If Neal would just set up a forum called the "I'm not buying cos of DRM" forum, problem solved. Until then, you're right, those of us in that 20% will just have to read you writing "I'm not buying cos of DRM" over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...
Closed Thread