SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-21-19, 09:43 PM   #16
fireblade274
Swabbie

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0

Hi guys, reoccurring poster here, I come back every year or so when i try to get into sh again lol. After doing this a few times over the years, for SH4, (my favorite even over sh5 wos mod), Ive got most of the main points down to get SH4 started on a good foot on my Win 10 system.

I made sure i put a fresh install of sh4 (i have Uboats expansion) on a separate SSD dedicated to my steam library. I unchecked the read only box, and enabled LAA on it. Sadly, I still get the time compression bug, even when im 25k+ away from land

The game is completely stock, sh4 updated to 1.5 through uboats expansion, with the exception of LAA added

After all this time with the game being around, is there anything that can be done to eliminate this bug finally? My understanding is that it makes a massive work load for the CPU; I run an OC i5 4690k @4.65 Ghz, id like to think it could just "power through" whatever redundant work the game is bugging out on
fireblade274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-19, 01:57 AM   #17
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Have you re-opened the LAA app and made certain that it 'set' properly on the SH4.exe file? Sometimes, after installing the game, the SH4.exe file is write protected, and that will not allow the LAA to set, and for whatever reason, the LAA devs didn't put a warning in there. Also, the computer is strong, but the game is weak. It has certain routines that it does that are "killer". It has to check many things many times faster when you use TC. Someone on SubSim mentioned one time that the game's clock is not "fine" enough, and it can only check your immediate area so often. You could think of it as a bandwidth problem. 2048x at night with nothing around will "hiccup" every so often on my machine. Also, you don't always "see" what is just outside the range of your "vision" in the game. It could be that there is a 30 ship task force just over the horizon, and you just went blowing by it. Some folks use the TC "hiccup" to warn them to immediately check their sonar for potential targets just over the horizon...

How high of TC are you using? Are you running the game full-screen? Is you computer's vid card set to match the "native" resolution of your LCD? Windows will show that as "recommended". Is the game set to that same resolution?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-19, 08:19 PM   #18
fireblade274
Swabbie

I started the game at 1440p on my 4k moniter, and it ran completely fine starting my patrol (first and only one so far on the new game). The slowdowns came soon after I completed my recon mission by the japan mainland. Suddenly I went from being able to do 1.5k TC to only being able to do 126x and 64x. I could deal with waiting a long time (prefer not too) but whats killing it is that now im just getting straight CTD's now even doing the lower TC's.

It was then I changed back to 1080p (what i run my desktop at) and installed LAA. How do I double check that it activated the game exe?
Old 02-22-19, 08:36 PM   #19
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade274 View Post
I started the game at 1440p on my 4k moniter, and it ran completely fine starting my patrol (first and only one so far on the new game). The slowdowns came soon after I completed my recon mission by the japan mainland. Suddenly I went from being able to do 1.5k TC to only being able to do 126x and 64x. I could deal with waiting a long time (prefer not too) but whats killing it is that now im just getting straight CTD's now even doing the lower TC's.

It was then I changed back to 1080p (what i run my desktop at) and installed LAA. How do I double check that it activated the game exe?
re-run LAA and you should see a message window like this...with your installation path rather than mine.
if LAA is still showing false, exit, be sure SH4.exe Property Read-Only is UNCHECKED. then re-run LAA in beginner mode and reset the flag to ON.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-19, 11:45 PM   #20
propbeanie

Is your computer display a TV? Are you using an HDMI cable? What video card are you using? How much GRAM on it? Don't forget that you are dealing with a 3D game that is over 12 years old, and it can only give you so much, then it hits a wall. With a "standard" LCD monitor, it is suggested that you match the "native" resolution of the LCD to the "recommended" resolution in Windows for the vid card, and then match that in SH4. However, with a 4k display, I don't think you find settings to match. You might be talking a mis-match between Windows, the game and your display, and there would then be a lot of thunking going on trying to fit the picture to the display. Maybe someone else with a 4k display will pipe up about using one.

Old 02-23-19, 12:20 AM   #21
fireblade274
Swabbie

I use a 4k monitor (got it for free after my mom scratched up my old 1080p that she was supposed to ship back to me a lot sooner before the "accident") at 60hz, i use a display port cable.

Just did LAA again; just figured out i can switch modes, in intermediate, it says LAA true Original false. Is that correct?

I use an RX 580 8gb card, that OC'd too to 1460mhz

Had trouble following you about my monitor, i dont get why running the game in 1080p while my OS/home-screen/desktop is running native 1080p, albeit on a 4k monitor. My desktop settings recommend 4k, but i run it in 1080p just fine. Plus I was getting this issue back before i got a new monitor and was the reason i stopped playing

Thank you all for all your input thusfar! always had a great vibe from this fourm
Old 02-23-19, 10:31 AM   #22
propbeanie

The LAA showing True / False in the columns like that is correct. When installed, the SH4.exe is not Large Address Aware, so False. Once you enable it with the LAA applet, then it shows the True.

A 4k monitor is not fully supported in Windows, and most likely not in Silent Hunter 4, so there will be a "conversion" from one resolution setting to the other. I do not have a 4k monitor, so I have no idea what you'll run into, but from what I've read, there are several caveats when using one with old games, so you might try doing an online search for using it with old 3D games, and see what you find. There might be issues involved in being restricted to 30fps and having to do an up-conversion that slows the game down on you, I just don't know. Surely, someone else on SubSim uses a 4k and can advise on the best set-up. You might also try to put the overclocked vid card back at "Stock", and see if that helps...

Old 02-26-19, 03:06 PM   #23
fireblade274
Swabbie

anybody else out there with a 4k display?

Tags
time compression bug