SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-08-18, 06:21 PM   #1
oscar19681
Admiral

Downloads: 119
Uploads: 0
Default Worried about u-boat physics.

Someone tell me the phyisics in this video are not gonna be final for the release? It looks unrealistic & its an immersion breaker. The physics make it look like a Tiny toy submarine.

Jim Morrison 1943-1971
oscar19681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-18, 07:34 PM   #2
nihilcat
UBOOT Dev

Downloads: 1

This seems to be just a weaker video. There were other, better videos recorded by QA team.. I'm wondering why this one was the choice

Anyway, it's not how it looks in game. This video was probably slightly time compressed aside from obviously wrong choice of angle that intensifies bobbing.

Edit: There is now a second video on Facebook.

Last edited by nihilcat; 10-09-18 at 02:12 AM.
nihilcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-18, 02:35 AM   #3
DiddumsJ
Swabbie

Icon1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihilcat View Post
This seems to be just a weaker video. There were other, better videos recorded by QA team.. I'm wondering why this one was the choice

Anyway, it's not how it looks in game. This video was probably slightly time compressed aside from obviously wrong choice of angle that intensifies bobbing.

Great quick reply man! Game is looking to shape up real well.

The play test releasing now will only be available for backers, right? Or is there a way for me to play before steam early access release?
DiddumsJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-18, 06:06 AM   #4
nihilcat
UBOOT Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiddumsJ View Post
Great quick reply man! Game is looking to shape up real well.

The play test releasing now will only be available for backers, right? Or is there a way for me to play before steam early access release?
Thanks! That's correct, this version is going to be backer-only.

We will be releasing UBOAT in Early Access on Steam a few months after that.
nihilcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-18, 10:56 PM   #5
oscar19681
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihilcat View Post

Thanks for the quick reply & i read that you Guys are doing lots of overtime and work like a horse now with the beta test and all. Im closely following all the feedback & info and it seems it shaping up to be a true masterpeace. Keep up the good work.

Regarding the second video? Was this also a video which had the time compression bobbing? I dont want to be a Nick-picker or anything? But it still showed the weird bobbing effect (like a model boat) i did like the excellent water effect comming from the drainage holes. Looks supurb!

Jim Morrison 1943-1971
Old 10-21-18, 12:06 AM   #6
Master
Watch

Downloads: 11

As someone who has been playing it i'll chime in.

It feels like the ship has absolutely no weight to itself and the water feels like there is no friction. It is a very odd feeling to watch the ship.

I hope it improves. This is after all their very first playable beta.
Old 10-21-18, 04:40 AM   #7
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 10

to be fair when youre going in straight line it seems pretty much fine, where it looks and feels very odd is upon turning.
Diving and surfacing seems little bit off, but not too bad, I agree it would be nice if the players boat and (other vessels) felt a more 'weighty'.
But its still early days yet.
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-18, 05:03 PM   #8
oscar19681
Admiral

Well im not a beta tester. But i have a feeling Nilcat Will pick up on it. Or a betatester Will
Make it a request in the bug report forums or something sooner or later. And maybe its something modders can fix... and its indeed still in early beta anyway.

Jim Morrison 1943-1971
Old 10-22-18, 02:39 AM   #9
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar19681 View Post
Well im not a beta tester. But i have a feeling Nilcat Will pick up on it. Or a betatester Will
Make it a request in the bug report forums or something sooner or later. And maybe its something modders can fix... and its indeed still in early beta anyway.
Oh there is a whole thread on it already don't you worry, everybody including the devs are well aware of it. is not something I expect will be addressed immediately, as its not game breaking - but I'm sure it will be looked in to when the time is right.
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-18, 05:03 AM   #10
Kretschmer the IV
Navy Dude

Downloads: 72

you can give the topic more weight by participating in the discussion:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/49484...2161854693954/

I think the graphics are phenomenal but the behavior of the ship in the water needs improvement.

~ Kümmer dich um deine Leute und sie kümmern sich um dich ~
Kretschmer the IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-18, 11:06 AM   #11
oscar19681
Admiral

Well since there allready looking into it there is no need for me to request it. But it might be a handy feature for when NDA for footage and stuff is listed and we Will be seeing more footage

Jim Morrison 1943-1971
Old 12-20-18, 01:24 PM   #12
PETC
Sailor man

Downloads: 31

I've felt for the longest time that this game needs to go full sim to be something that will really grab me. It looks great, and I will almost certainly buy and play it in any state, but for me to really love it, for it to be anywhere close to a TRUE SHIII replacement for me it needs to be full sim. This video made me worried too because I thought the same thing, doesn't look "real". Hopefully, since the game is so early in development, most of this can be ironed out and at the end of the day we get an amazing game.
PETC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-18, 05:17 PM   #13
Master
Watch

Downloads: 11

It has gotten a lot better over the past few months but it wont ever be a silent hunter replacement. It's more game than sim.

I was hoping it would be the b17 ii of subsims but its more "bomber crew" sadly.

It's good, dont get me wrong, but its never going to be a replacement for a more hardcore sim.
Old 01-02-19, 02:11 AM   #14
Ernstww
Mate

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master View Post
It has gotten a lot better over the past few months but it wont ever be a silent hunter replacement. It's more game than sim.

I was hoping it would be the b17 ii of subsims but its more "bomber crew" sadly.

It's good, dont get me wrong, but its never going to be a replacement for a more hardcore sim.
If it isn't hardcore sim enough in its vanilla state, I suspect the modders will pound the proverbial square peg into a round hole. All the basic foundation is there with better graphics. It was designed to mod friendly, evidently.

I'm still optimistic about where the game will end up.
Old 01-04-19, 10:09 AM   #15
fullmetaledges
Chief

Downloads: 120

To be honest with you as a sim obviously bomber crew is lacking, but as a game I find it a lot of fun. I like the attention to detail of the systems in uboat (as far as I can tell from the videos) and as long as it's a fun game as bomber crew is, I will be happy.
fullmetaledges is offline   Reply With Quote