Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-24-17, 10:01 AM   #2131
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
And a naked Olivia Wilde, so it's a good film!
No naughty bits in the version I saw.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-17, 07:14 PM   #2132
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
No naughty bits in the version I saw.
When she "comes" back to life in the fire, she is naked (suppose to be), but no full frontal nudity.
But that existi in another movie of her, so...
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-17, 02:42 PM   #2133
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

A post-war war film.. hard to watch

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-17, 11:57 AM   #2134
STEED
Lucky Jack

No titles or end credits, no idea if this is a low budget movie or a TV movie. That all a side I liked it, its a Sci-Fi movie where a bunch of soldiers are on a live fire 2 day exercise against military machines and yes you got it...

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 10-02-17, 12:35 PM   #2135
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
A post-war war film.. hard to watch
Actually I thought that was a very good and moving film.

Thanks for sharing

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-17, 10:48 PM   #2136
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 58
Default Great Cinema.

Here's a couple of clips from "Ben Hur" 1925. Amazing stuff

First. "The Naval Battle".

Secondly. "The Chariot Race".

Old 10-03-17, 06:57 AM   #2137
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 10-03-17, 04:04 PM   #2138
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Old 10-03-17, 04:26 PM   #2139
STEED
Lucky Jack

^

I see the critics who have seen the advance screening of bladerunners 2049 have in most part given it the..

What worries me they did the same with Alien Covenant.

Old 10-04-17, 07:22 AM   #2140
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 10-06-17, 08:03 AM   #2141
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

I saw Alien Covenant on DVd recently, as expected it was just so-la-la, and too predictable and just beating a dead horse for the x-th time. The end has this nasty twist, although it also was forseeable, but taken for itself, it really was a nasty little bedtime candy.

But: Blade Runner 2 is starting in german cinemas now, and I have learned about the director. His name, Denis Villeneuve, was of no big meaning to me, since I did not become aware of it, until just in recent months i linked the name to two, three very good movies i saw in the past couple of years, but somehow I did not become aware that they were by him.

The movie gets very good critics' reviews over here. And I could now imagine that maybe Villeneuve indeed delivers. At least I have more hopes now that it is at least no bad movie, as I feared for so long time. The double-failure that Scott allowed to materialise with Alien, seems to have been avoided.

And today I read in one article about the movie, what I did not know so far, it got mentioned just in one brief line. Villeneuve is doing "Dune"...? Is that confirmed, is that real? If so, wowh. Two failed projects on that in the past, it takes courage to dare it a third time. And if lade Runner 2 really is linking up well to the first one, with this director who also made "Arrival" (which I liked very much) thy might have found the callibre needed to go where Lynch and that three-part TV adaptation later tried - and failed. failed.

Is it true? Villeneuve doing Dune?

Anmyhow, after the Alien movies recently, and the - with good will - avergage films he did before them, I wonder whether Scott should not really stop it, as maker and director anyway, but maybe also as producer. It seems to me he really is beyond the climax of his ideas, and now has missed the right time to retire from film making. All his very good movies, of which there are quite some, are so long time ago.
Old 10-06-17, 09:26 AM   #2142
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post

Is it true? Villeneuve doing Dune?
Apparently yes.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/02/...lm-dune-reboot

But I do no think that David Lynch film was a failure. The studio did impose and the the cut of film was ruined and became a bad adaptation of the novel.
But as a sci-fi film, I think it stands out very well.
I found a fan version that joined all the scenes that were not used in the film and latter come up as a TV mini-serie. The film becomes much more in tone to the book and a better adaptation.
I think Dune would work better as a television series, since there are material for it and they could adapt all the books.
Old 10-06-17, 10:22 AM   #2143
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
Apparently yes.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/02/...lm-dune-reboot

But I do no think that David Lynch film was a failure. The studio did impose and the the cut of film was ruined and became a bad adaptation of the novel.
But as a sci-fi film, I think it stands out very well.
I found a fan version that joined all the scenes that were not used in the film and latter come up as a TV mini-serie. The film becomes much more in tone to the book and a better adaptation.
I think Dune would work better as a television series, since there are material for it and they could adapt all the books.
You mean there was a "directors cut" of the Lynch movie? I did not know that. I only know that three-part TV series that later was done from scratch, looking totally different /(and cheap), and imo being even worse. Lynch had nothing to do with that one, I think.

The Lynch movie I found to start well (Jürgen Prochnow as the old duke was an ideal cast), but then becoming shallow and very hollywoodish very quickly.

TBH, I think turning the Dune books into a good movie series, is extremely difficult, if not impossible, due to Herbert's narration style by which he worked around his limited skill as a literaric artist, while wanting to reveal complex inner world of his protagonists and their philosophical reflections. Frank herbert had stories to tell, and interesting concepts (Hellstroms Hive, The Santaroga Barrier, ...), but he was no master of wording, no artist of literature. I could imagine to turn some difficult novels into movies, but this one I would not touch if I were a film maker and had a 300 million budget. I would not do it. Villeneuve has guts, if he takes on it. If he makes it right, he will enter the Olymp of filmmaking. If he fails, his name will be burnt for long time to come. Arrival was a very good movie, and its excellence hit me totally unexpected. Maybe he has what it takes to make Dune.

Amongst all movies by Lynch that I know, I like Mullholland Drive and the original Twin Peaks series best. But Mullholland Drive really stands out, becaseu it can be completely psychoanalytically explained and logically interpreted - something that is much more difficult to achieve with the other movies of Lynch, which blurr the line between possible interpretation by reason and dreamlike irrationality more drastically. Interpreting Lost Highway is far less convincing to do, imo. Or maybe I am lacking what it needs to do so.

Last edited by Skybird; 10-06-17 at 10:33 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-17, 10:27 AM   #2144
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 10-06-17, 03:58 PM   #2145
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
You mean there was a "directors cut" of the Lynch movie? I did not know that. I only know that three-part TV series that later was done from scratch, looking totally different /(and cheap), and imo being even worse. Lynch had nothing to do with that one, I think.
Yes and no. During the early 2000s, with the DVDs and several movies coming out with directors cut, there was a rumour that D. Lynch's Dune had 5 or 8 hours of film and that people want him to do a directors cut or a uncut version. The problem was that it was just a rumour, Dune has near 3 hours, I think. Then in 2006 it come up a extended version and since it was not made by Lynch, the director as the script features different names.

the Alan Smithee version has been released in a two disk set containing both the Lynch version and the extended version. However, many scenes have been edited out once again. The heart plug scene when the baron is introduced is not in the extended version anymore (it is still in the original). The scene where Thufir discovers the burning wierding modules is also missing as well as Thufir's death scene. (Thufir's death scene is included as a deleted scene in the special features).

The sci-fy channel version of Dune I didn't see. I thought it was bad. But I read that this film was more in line with the book.
Still speaking of Dune, did you see the documentary about Jodorowsky Dune project?

Tags
films, movie, movies