SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-19-14, 10:22 PM   #16
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

Not in this case, the problem is moderate waves sinking ships with no damage at all. Can't test with heavy waves until I find heavy waves by accident, mission editor won't do heavy waves. Set up a task force with one of each ship type in US naval bases.mis so I could start a career and run up to where the task force was cruising around, and see if I could observe during heavy weather. Tanker kept sinking in calm seas a few minutes after I picked up the formation on radar, so I eliminated the tanker. Then the Furutaka insisted on sinking even though it had the same specs as Maya, Mogami, and Takao. Increasing depth from 2.5 to 4 didn't help, Maya Mogami and Takao rode the seas easily at 2.5, Furutaka sank at 4 every time. I swear I'd deep six this if I could figure out a better way, I'm probably gonna end up applying the hack only to BBs and CVs. Reduce the armor rating and hit points for the CA and CL so it don't take 17 US battleships to sink one and leave the crash depth alone on those. I swear they spent more money and programming hours on them seagulls than they did on the damage models for ships. Birdbrains.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 12:51 AM   #17
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298
Uploads: 0

To be fair they did make some great seagulls.
Admiral Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 10:32 AM   #18
Sniper297
The Old Man

Kinda surprised they didn't add basking seals and jumping fish for the complete harbor scene. Goats grazing on the hillsides with butterflies flitting around the flowers.

What I'm puzzling over is whatever possessed the early modding pioneers to make a LONGER sinking times mod and nobody ever made a SHORTER one?

This is a stock MAYA which is "sinking". I can tell it's "sinking" because it's making the bulkhead collapsing / breaking up noises. Looking at how far underwater the main deck is I would count that as SUNK, not sinking, but the game still considers it afloat. If it wasn't anchored it would be steaming away at 30 knots at that depth. Half an hour after the torpedoes hit the scout plane on the port catapult blew up, an hour after that I gave up waiting for it to actually sink.
Old 03-20-14, 11:05 AM   #19
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

I can tell you why they made the longer sinking time ones. Once a ship in stock SH4 would lose all its hit points the thing would go under in about 30 seconds or less. The longer sinking time mods tried to remove the hit point system and instead have them sink by flooding. Some work like the Longer Sinking Time mod for TMO and others don't work that well.(Looking at you RFB sinking model.)
Old 03-20-14, 07:50 PM   #20
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper297 View Post
Kinda surprised they didn't add basking seals and jumping fish for the complete harbor scene. Goats grazing on the hillsides with butterflies flitting around the flowers.
Shhhh.....that's slated to appear in SH6.

About your Maya, I don't know what to think. It isn't on a sandbar, is it? I don't really seen many capitol ships in RFB, so I can't really judge. Was the thing still able to shoot in that condition?

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 09:05 PM   #21
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Yeah that reminds me. You most likely encountered a glitch or something like that. Try saving and reloading that mission to see if it's sunk. Also are you sure the game doesn't count it as sunk? Is the little ship sunk icon not on the map?
Old 03-20-14, 09:38 PM   #22
Sniper297
The Old Man

No, this is a single mission test in 3000 feet of water, no sand bar. Icon indicates floating ship, no wreck icon, log has no credit for sinking, it ain't sunk. Gonna shelve this for a while and try a variation on Webster's more powerful torpedoes - increased damage radius. Works great but doubling the radius is just plain silly, rips all the external skin off the hull. Gonna go with 125% to 150% with normal explosive power and with increased bang plus size, give the end user several choices. So far 150% radius increase with stock EF is pretty close to Webster's 125% EF with stock radius, less blast with stock but spread over a larger area makes a really big hole which affects more compartments.
Old 03-13-18, 04:50 AM   #23
chrysanthos
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 488

Sniper297 i am glad you make tweaking in the crash depth zone too! i almost try and nothing so far....
chrysanthos is offline   Reply With Quote