SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-24-19, 10:05 PM   #76
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicheBach View Post
Here is a new question.

I stumbled through a wikipedia browsing session and wound up reading this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torpedo_net

Seems like these things were not "uncommon" during the peak of WWII, eh?

So why none in SH4? Does SH5 have them?
That first sentence says: "Torpedo nets were a passive ship defensive device against torpedoes. They were in common use from the 1890s until the Second World War. They were superseded by the anti-torpedo bulge and torpedo belts."

A picture is worth a thousand words:

Imagine getting to set that up every time you docked... Yikes! They were used on some 700 traveling ships, according to the article, and did protect the majority of them during most torpedo attacks, but not all. You can simulate the effect of a torpedo net in SH3 & SH4 on docked ships with the use of the anti-sub net, just making it a small one, floating on the surface, and around an individual ship. Modeling a net on a moving ship would require at least the booms added to a ship, but getting torpedoes to explode before actual impact with the ship would be a trick...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-19, 02:27 PM   #77
DicheBach
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0

Right! It does look like a very laborious and high-maintenance contraption. However, I was also under the impression the net would be used even while the ship was underway. Recall a statement that it only reduced speed by about 1 knot?

If they were used, I imagine it was mainly in the Atlantic and if at all in the Pacific then by the Yanks or perhaps the Brits?

So what I'm gathering is: for SH4, the omission isn't such a glaring oversight, as it would not likely have been very common for an allied or even a German submariner to encounter a target ship using one in real history.

So what about SH5? Still no torpedo nets?
Old 02-28-19, 03:12 PM   #78
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Yeah, that's what I meant with the "traveling ships" above, in that they were used on only 700 ships during the war, out of the thousands and thousands. It would be interesting to put some on a couple of ships in the Atlantic, like you say though... I wonder if the subnet could be "attached" to a ship?...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote