SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-10-17, 04:37 PM   #1
Capt.Hunt
Loader

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0
Default mK 48 range

According to the reference guide in game, Mk48s have a range of 35,000 yards at 40 kts, but in practice in game they seem to run out of fuel a few thousand yards short of that. I've had sure long range kill shots self destruct in the enemy ship's wake on several occasions. Are the Mk 48s running faster then 40 knots?
Capt.Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-17, 08:20 PM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Once they arrive at your set waypoint, torpedos will activate and run faster, thus consuming more fuel. If distance is critical by nearing the maximum range then it's better to place the waypoint enough ahead of the target so the torpedo has only little active running time. This will also avoid premature detection of the torpedo by the enemy sub/vessel.
'Ahead of the target' means: once the torpedo has arrived at the waypoint it should be near the target; so you need to anticipate this by calculation when setting your waypoint, also there is some aid in the game by a little circular point when chosing a weapon to fire, set the waypoint around there for best results, however, this aid assumes that course and speed of the target remains unchanged.

Note that there is a remaining time counter that tells you when the torpedo runs out of fuel and self-destroys. Some AI subs like the Alfa which can run at 42 knots have good chances to outrun your torpedo if you set the waypoints carelessly ... You always need to calculate the relative speed of your torpedo (torpedo speed - target relative speed at the same course) to estimate the ETA at target and see if it's even worth to fire at the target.
Oh, in real subs, multi-million worth equipments will do this job for you

Also once activated and still the wire is intact, other than controlling the torpedo's direction with the cursor keys, you can control the torpedo in the weapons tab in the 3 choices (activation method, turn left or right after jamming, run deep/run shallow).

The various speeds of torpedos when on wire and once activated can be seen in the weapons.txt file.

I hope this helps you, cheers,

Last edited by XenonSurf; 12-10-17 at 09:01 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-17, 09:50 PM   #3
Sonoboy
Planesman

Downloads: 8

I decided to test the Mk. 48 ranges real quick.

34.1 kyds if left inactive.
47.2 kyds if activated immediately.

TTR did not decrease when torpedo was activated. I seem to remember that TTR would go down. Could be a recent bug.

*update*
TTR is indeed calculated from RunSpeed (speed before activated) without accounting for acceleration. I'm very sure I've seen it recalculate and update TTR in the past when a torpedo was activated.

Last edited by Sonoboy; 12-10-17 at 10:09 PM.
Sonoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-17, 04:20 AM   #4
Capt.Hunt
Loader

Downloads: 9

I usually do shoot at the aimpoint, although I've found that even if the target maintains a constant course and speed, the aimpoint is usually inaccurate. It must be the change in run speed when the fish goes active that is throwing me off.

I've also found that the aimpoint is usually way off for missiles. I seem to have more luck sending a harpoon directly to the target marker than the aimpoint. Although that may be skewed by the fact that I am not having much luck hitting anything with Harpoons. More often then not they'll zoom right by a target and then plunk into the ocean, but not before attracting every ASW torpedo within a hundred miles to my pigboat.
Capt.Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-17, 07:14 PM   #5
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Harpoons or TSMs are really easy, it doesn't matter where you aim, it's only important that they don't overshoot the target, their seeker will easily find anything ahead of their PAP, and the missiles have enough fuel. Warships may however shoot them down. So these missiles are not a problem.

Sea Lance missiles are very tricky to calculate the right waypoint setting, I usually aim a little ahead of the aid marker to be sure the torpedos splash *in front* of the enemy, that's where it's the hardest to make evasion.

For torpedos it's true that the aid marker is not accurate for targets that head away from you, try to remember the run-out time as soon as you launch one , this should aid you in your calculation to know wether you can reach a target.
Usually enemy subs are travelling at 15 knots when not detected, so count 40-15= 25 knots true catch-up speed and see if the run-out time is enough. Because I don't have the exact formula that tells me that '1 minute at x knots = y kyds', I'm using guessing work based on the initial distance. Something like 1/2 of the max torpedo range (15-17 kyds) should be fine.

But the max torpedo distance is rather useless in CW because I'm never able to detect any sub at 30 kyds or so, only about 10-15 kyds if he cavitates or if I have the perfect aspect angle to him at the same depth. So torpedo ranges should never be a factor in the game. If you fire one at a distant sub 15 kyds, you may not reach target with MK-48 if he heads straight away from you, otherwise it will arrive and have about 2-5 minutes remaining for the kill.
Activated MK-48 will travel around 60 knots instead of 40, so for less than 15 kyds they may actually have an increased range before burning out. Problem is at such a speed they will be detected earlier.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 12-11-17 at 07:48 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-17, 08:34 PM   #6
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonoboy View Post
I decided to test the Mk. 48 ranges real quick.

34.1 kyds if left inactive.
47.2 kyds if activated immediately.

TTR did not decrease when torpedo was activated. I seem to remember that TTR would go down. Could be a recent bug.

*update*
TTR is indeed calculated from RunSpeed (speed before activated) without accounting for acceleration. I'm very sure I've seen it recalculate and update TTR in the past when a torpedo was activated.
+1 I'm not currently seeing TTR change after activation either. This is true with the Mk 37 as well.
Capt Jack Harkness is offline   Reply With Quote