Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 12-21-12, 05:31 AM   #1
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Good FSX Teachings?

Okay so Ive gotten FSX all sorted out and running at around 60 fps on my laptop. Next up is, does anyone know where I could find a good place to get some in depth downloadable manuals on FSX operation (I mean using the flight planner and flying jets and all the instrument breakdowns and characteristics of each aircraft in the game?) This would be awesome if someone could either point me in the right direction or even one on one flight instruct me through the multiplayer. I want to get to where I can fly international flights between continents and such. Just no idea where to start

Regards,

Casey
Old 12-21-12, 07:53 AM   #2
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76
Uploads: 0

Sorry, I only fly VFR, all done with the Mk.1 eyeball and a map. I know Sky flies IMC but he only uses (in case you didn't know) the PDMG 737.

There are lots of fora out there that may be able to help more than we can.

flightsim.com
flightsimworld.com
flyawaysimulation.com
sim-outhouse.com
visualflight.net
mutleyshanger.com

Hope it helps
Old 12-21-12, 07:59 AM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

I would go with the FSX lessons. I did not use them, since I am with FS since the '98 version anbd have learned the stuff back then already and the principles of navigation remain the same. But I know these lessons are there still there in FSX.

Now, you sound as if you want to go serious into the depth of the matter.

Well, then remember that FSX by default is a toy. The flightmodels are not polished, nor are the cockpit functionalities. If you really have discovered your love for the matter, thenm do it substantially, and correct. And that em ans bypass the default airplanes.

1. pick one good addon for a good sporting plane or a small 6-8 seater, and learn to master the - hopefully indepth - cockpit, basic VFR flying and landing.

2. Learn the theroetic groundwork of modern IFR.

3. pick one good airliner addon.

Point 1, I do not claim to know all the small birds out there, there are so many, and some of them are more sophisticatedly modelled than others, I assume. The only experience I can list is either the realair SIAI Marchetti SF260, or the Digital Aviation Piper Cheyenne. The Cheyenne I do not know in its FSX incranation, but I know it from FS9 - and there it was in a class of its own, outside competition. Flying it is not easy at low speeds and in approach, landing. But the model is crystal sharp, the cockpit ios fully (!) functional, the realism is extremely high. Mastering it, is a chgallenge, yes, But it is so much more rewarding than doing an easy toy thing and being good with it after 20 minutes! I have nothing but praise for the Digital Aviation Piper Cheyenne, FS9. The FSX can still be had at aerosoft, and other shops. By its size, it also is a nice segment. The flightmodel is - well, you immediately feel the difference between the default "toys", and good addons. The difference feels tremendous at times. The Cheyenne is well-b ehaved at trip speeds, but during approach and landing speeds, she demands quite some concentration and foresight. Add to this a complete avionice environment, and superb textures.

Check Youtube.

BTW, I assume you fly from Virtual cockpit exclusively. It gives the best experience - but only when using TrackIR. This is a must-have that you should consider as an item to aim for if you do not have it. For me it changed flightsimming completely.

Next, IFR, instruments, navigation. Check what FSX has to offer there. Or look in a bookshop for a book on fightsimualtor programs, suually X-Plane or FS. It doe snot matter whether it is an old book for an old version - the explanation of VORs, NDBs, how to use which instrument to do what kind of navigation remains the same. An older book you may get for cheap price, maybe. You may want to couple your effort with the cheynenne or a compoaravbly complex aircraft with teaching yourself on the art of navigation and IFR. It sounds intimidating, but essentially it is not difficult at all once you understood the basic concepts. Some things however should be understood pefectly. Makes life that mjuch easier. For example to realise which compass directions corresponds to what degrees for a course. Much of that however is coming with routine.

Not before then you are ready for the real big birds, airliners. There are several good packages out there, of varying degrees of system-depth simulation, I reocmmend you go with a 737, for three reasons. First, the Boeings are better simulated and represenmted in the FSX world than Airbusses are. Second, for the 737 you have TWO very good packages avalable to chose from, and third, there is a nice book for the old FS9-version of POMDG737NG (no X) which weas for their FS9 model from several y<ars ago, a book that got translated form German to Egnlish and were a real 737 pilot talks you through all phases of preflight, flight and after flight on basis of refering to the 737 software, and chapter for chapter talks you through the tehcnical details of allmost everything in the cockpit. IO have the same book, bvrandnew, in German for the FSX version, which essentially is just an updated reprint. It'S probably the best book I ever owned on flight simming. But it demands already some understanding of the basic functionality of the ultra-complex PMDG737NGX (FSX). The German old book now is referred to the the "737 bible" in German-peaking community, and was so successful that they also had an English version. Possible that the new book also gets released in English sooner or later.

Tim Rommen: 737NG (737NGX) - You have control

Now. You can go with the PMDG737NGX, which is the ultimate journey you can choose. 3500 pages of manuals. Procedure lkists and quick access handbooks done after the xample of the original Boeiong manuals. And yes, all that stuff functions, painstakingly simulated down to even the smallest details and nuances. I foun d it easy to get into this monster, sionce I knew the 737 for years before. I assume for a new flyer, the challenge can be intimidating. But it is worth it. And not just functionally but also visually this thing is running beside all competions, in a league of its own.

Your second option is the 737 by Chinese (!) development team iFly, which I know from the FS9 version, buit also claims high credentials in its FSX incarnation. In FS), this was the best airliner package I ever tried, point. It even left the other PMDG programs in FS9 behind. It maybe is more for you, when you are totally new to all this stuff. It is complex, but not as lethally complex as the PMDG 737, it is visually extremely well done, though not as superior as the PMDG737. Taken for itself, this is premium content, too. One canot go wrong there. And the sytem depth is not as tremednous and the FMC not modelled that detailed as in the PMDG package. However, the HUD looks clearly inferior to that of the PMDG737.

Your other options are this: PMDG is a prime developer of aircraft packages, they also did the 747, which I also klnew from FS9. Taken for itself still very good, but living in the shadow of the mighty 737NGX now. But easier. And then there is the brandnew Aerosoft Airbus A320 Extended Version (an enhanced version of their package from 2010). Cannot comment on it, I do not know it, but said to be the best Airbus simulator out there, and already getting good customer feedback. It is not on the level of the 737NGX, but like the other planes I mentioned settles down at a lower level wehre there is a market-oriented balance between realism and accessability. I would check that one out, too.

I know all this costs money, and takes time to learn. But that is what gives you the best you can get from flight simming, the more it turns into a study sim, the more rewarding it all is. The feeling of accomplishment is more intense when you start to master a complex plane. Playing with the easy things and small planes, will start to bore you sooner or later.

Also consider that the textures of the virtual cockpits in FSX cannot compete with the photorealism the latest packages offer. The default ones were good at their time, though already then behind what addons offered, but today, they are hopelessly inferior.

Check Google for sites teaching the fundamentals of how navigation, flight planning and instruments function.

If you are seriously getting involved and wanmt to do international flights, you sooner or later will invest in a flight planning software, a replacement package for weather teaxtures, and a weather files downloader. I have REX and Active Sky on mind.

If you have two fapovurite airports oyu love to trip between, consider to invest in available airport addon packaghes for thse two. Having a superior model of the real facilities with ground traffic, all taxi signs, lighting, and photorealism, is so much more intense an experience during landing and take off and taxing, especially at night or in bad weather, fog etc. I have moved away from general world packages like Global or GEX, because at airliner's altitude all that means nothing to me but costs resources. But good airport representations I today rate as must-haves.

You ust not do and get all thjis in one rush. I assume money is a factor. Do it step by step. So did I. And I am with flightsimming since - well, since almost twenty years now, now counting the Amiga days. It's like with a model railroad - the project never ends, the working non it never ends, the tweaking never ends. Make it a hobby, therefore.
Old 12-21-12, 08:03 AM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
Sorry, I only fly VFR, all done with the Mk.1 eyeball and a map. I know Sky flies IMC but he only uses (in case you didn't know) the PDMG 737.
Yes. But there was a life before the 737NGX landed.

Forgot to say that, for General Aviation, some of the Carenado models are said to be good. But I do not know them. Casey, check the review section of www.avsim.com. It's a superb source for flightsim addon reviews, very much indepth articles.

Last edited by Skybird; 12-21-12 at 08:58 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-12, 10:07 AM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

One thing, I wanted to add that earlier and then forgot it: you said you want to do continental flights and international flight. Well, reconsider that. Doing that in an airliner, already is boring. Doing that in a simulation is even more boring, because once you are on travel altitude of let's say FL410, you just watch out of the simulated window, gaze at the simulated always same sky, and the simulated blue down there that is the simulated sea. And that you do for hours and hours.

That is entertaining not!

Better plan short hops between airports, even with heavy iron. I flew - very unrealistically! - 747s from Hamburg to Cologne, or 767s from Innsbruck to Stuttgart. I plan trips between my addon airports exclusively, and in such a way that between reaching top of climb and beginning of descent there is, if possible, not more than 20 minutes time. That way I always have something to do, with no boring time . The moment I reached travel altitude, I almost start to think about the descent again. I try to fly SIDs and STARs according to my charts, and do a solid flight planning and fuel calculation. But I must not fly the distances specific models would be used for in reality, so why not using a 747 as a local commuter, instead of staring 8 hours at the Atlantic.

I do not know how it is with the default planes, but for complex addons there is a strong recommendation that the time acceleration should not be used - it can seriously mess up your flightplan routing and the FMC. I always run at 1x time, I never use acceleration. NEVER.
Old 12-21-12, 10:32 AM   #6
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post

That is entertaining not!
It really depends on what floats your boat though! I know a lot of people who do like that - although they typically spend that 8 cruising hours doing something else (doing work on another computer, watching a movie, cleaning their backyard, or even sleeping).

You can always join a virtual airline (as I did), which definitely gives a bit more context and purpose to even long flights.

That said, I prefer flying shorter regional flights myself. They are a lot more fun and have a much more intense workload, hour for hour. I do know quite a few people at my VA that practically live for those long-range flights though.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-12, 03:01 PM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP View Post
It really depends on what floats your boat though! I know a lot of people who do like that - although they typically spend that 8 cruising hours doing something else (doing work on another computer, watching a movie, cleaning their backyard, or even sleeping).
Let them do that with activated chance for randomised system failure, even if set to only small chances.
Old 12-21-12, 03:06 PM   #8
CCIP
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Let them do that with activated chance for randomised system failure, even if set to only small chances.
Haha, yeah. I do that with fspassengers actually, set to 1% failure chance per flight. It actually makes things a lot more interesting, but as in real life, something happening during cruise... miniscule chance. Most failures happen during departure or landing. The worst I've had out of the 500 or so hours of flying this year was a fuel leak, and it didn't even affect my flight plan since I had enough reserves.

Besides, the far bigger threat on long flights is your FS crashing to desktop

-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
Old 12-21-12, 04:20 PM   #9
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP View Post
You can always join a virtual airline (as I did), which definitely gives a bit more context and purpose to even long flights.
I was entertaining the notion of doing the same thing. What has your experience been? How often do you have to fly? What are the perameters? How is the community? (Obviously you like the community, as you are still a member, but you know what I mean)
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-12, 04:53 PM   #10
CCIP
Navy Seal

It's been really good! It varies from airline to airline obviously, and I've only been a member of one, but it's been a great experience all around. The only mandatory requirement is flying at least once per month, and the booking system for flights is very flexible (at least once you have enough of a rank to have access to all the equipment and routes). The community is good - I wish it were a little more active sometimes, but there's enough to keep me occupied. There's quite an age spread and even simming style spread between people, but there's always people who are similar enough in interests to interact with.

In my VA the main parameters are that you file your flights (with one of a couple of methods) to prove you followed realistic procedure, including routes and performance. All reports filed are reviewed by actual human staff and approved/rejected. There's some pretty clear-cut rules for rejections, but they're not too harsh. The main tracking method is the VA's own ACARS app, which is basically a chat + flight tracker. It actually gives some really nice feedback.

I know some VAs are more strict and demanding, but most are not. There's a lot of fairly casual flyers in mine, but all in all there's a really nice professional sort of atmosphere to it. There's also a lot of flexibility for difficulty - and even I sometimes fly really complex payware planes, and sometimes just slightly spruced-up freeware with basic systems. Some people only fly on VATSIM (and bug others to join them constantly), others don't even use the default FS ATC and just fly silent (I mostly fly offline with RadarContact). The only goal is that your final flight log proves that your flight went mostly like the real thing.

It's definitely done two things to my virtual flying - first it made me fly a lot more than I used to, and secondly it significantly improved a bunch of my flying skills and knowledge thanks to advice that I got there. It's not a good place to get basic tutorials on IFR flying by any means, but once you're at a certain level, I think being in a VA is probably the best way to improve your flying.

-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
Old 12-22-12, 01:58 AM   #11
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Okay, I believe I really made that too broad of a question. What I meant for was the basics. Like using trim, flaps etc, communicating with ATC and GTC, proper procedure for flights, using the flight planner, and the use of the nav system in the glass cockpit and so on.

I want to learn the basics as indepth as I can for now, I will learn about the plane characteristics at a later date. For now, baby steps. I can do little puddle jumps, and Ive MADE a flight plan before, but I dont know how to use it (I was flying a Mooney Bravo of course)

But before all of that, any general tips are well appreciated
Old 12-22-12, 07:18 AM   #12
Skybird
Soaring

Casey, you have all that stuff in the tutorials and lessons of the FSX "Ausbildungszentrum", don'T know how they call it in the English version. All the theory you ask for: all instruments explained. Flaps, Flight phases and how to run them and and what to do then. Navigation. GPS. IFR instruments, glass cockpits. I just have checked it, it is all there, with pictures and explanations.

That is much better than walls of text written by me and others, without graphics and pictures.

Check that "training centre", as it may be called in the english version. It's all there.

My point earlier was just this:; if you want to go indepth with a plane, don'T waste time with the FSX toys, their system depth is - almost non-existent. Pick one addon plane and then use that for a solid time to come, and get into it, in detail, that is more rewarding. Go with something of small or medium size first, and in half a year or so, when you got the experience, still have the interest and may have the money, get an airliner.

The Cheyenne can be ordered with 20% lower price currently. I have yesterday placed my order for the FSX version of it myself, I miss it from my FS9 times. Until 25th or 26th.

http://en.shop.aerosoft.com/eshop.ph...design=DEFAULT

But see if Aeroshop runs an American shop as well, I think they do, at least did.

Really, if you want to dive into things with FSX, then do it right : get one first addon plane small to medium size and start with that. And much later, when it is opportune for you, get one heavy bird. There are good reasons why people are willing to pay money on such addons and ignore the default planes. They just don't compare. When it comes to autopilots and airliner FMS (flight management systems) at the latest - there is where a wide, wide abyss opens between the default planes and a quality addon. You'd be surprised how far a quality addon can move beyond what you believed you knew after having done the default equivalent only.

Hope I do not sound too missionizing. I'd prefer the term "enthusiasm".
Old 01-05-13, 06:05 AM   #13
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Alright, I figured instead of adding another thread Id just post this here.

So, Skybird, Ive read and read and read then flown and crashed then read some more and did all of the tutorials and I have to say with confidence I got it. I am now able to pilot prop and or Jets with a slight ease. I finally figured out how to use the flight nav and GPS and have flown some small commercial flights from my home town to IND (20 mins away)

Questions arise now, first problem Ive had is that I was doing a flight from Cleveland to Chicago in a 737 and when I was almost to Chicago my game crashed saying not enough virtual memory? I have the same settings as you and even tested them in LAX to make sure they wouldnt slow me too much and nothing. And then when Im almost to Ohare Int'l (Litterally on my runway approach) it crashes. I shouldnt be having this problem with 16GB of ram should I??

Next, when youre coming in for a landing and talking to ATC and they direct you to land on the Active Runway (Say runway 6R Right) how do you know which runway is the active one? Same thing when youre taxing to the runway, how do can you tell which runway to go to? (I want to try to not use progressive taxi to keep the imerssion factor there)

The other problem I have is my problem with overspeeds. Ive looked through the indexes and cant see a thing about what to do to correct it (I slow down and pull the nose up and extend flaps and sometimes it works) but for say Jetliners, what are some key things to keep in mind so Im not overspeeding??

Also where can I get some other skins so I can actually fly real airlines? (Southwest, American, Delta) annnnd does anyone play online want to fly sometime?

Oh and last but not least, when doing an Insturment Landing in bad weather (Say heavy fog and bad visibility) is there a way to know the altitude the runway is at ? (You can see the feathers for the runway on the nav glass and the lights can be visible but I have not figured out how to know what altitude the runway is at so I dont slam into it... although this is all on the understanding that it actualyl IS possible to land in 0 visibility? But I assumed it is possible with the glass cockpit ILS.

Seriously though, thank you for all of your patience in answering my previous questions. I finally got time to sit down and just focus on it and am so happy I got to learn how to finally fly with Instrument navigation. I think sometime this weekend, Im going to try a flight from Chicago to LAX if I can

Oh and anyother tips would be awesome, I figured out Autopilot can bite me in the ass. I set it to ascend to my cruise altitude and it stalled me in a 747 with such a spin that I slammed into the ground before I could correct it -_-

Cheers,

Casey
Old 01-05-13, 08:34 AM   #14
Skybird
Soaring

OOM - out of memory: should happen NOT on an x64 operation system and the FS config tailored via venetubo website, where the according entry to allow more than just short of 4 GB RAM is added into the config file (oh - I hope I do npot mix it up with an x32 issue here...) . Sure you did that procedure correctly? The config you get linked to by them needs to be moved to the appropriate location on your HD manually, it does not get put there by them. I further assume you do not use any addons, especially traffic addons (big resource hog). - I need to google this a bit, I have no answer on this right now. Edit: any excessive settings in your graphics driver, maybe? 64x super antialias or something like that? AA and AF should be set to be controlled by the software application. Switch off most of the other gimmicks. And in FSX, make sure you do not run the DX10 mode.

Edit: now that I think of it, I initially had comparable problems with this error, too, when migrating to FSX. I finally solved it "en passant", when doing a total system reinstall (for opther purpose than just FSX). The difference most prominent was that before I had a comprehensive ground texture replacement set in use, also an additional ground map addon, especially the latter being known to be able to cause massive fingerprints in the system'S use of resources. Also, back then I did not had the config correctly tweaked. So I urge you again to reassure yourself that you indeed have correctly handled the venetubo config replacement file, and that your system is correctly set up regarding memory assignment. - I have not had a single FSX crash since then, and I run it in a much more complex setup. Only during shutdown of FSX after having used the 737 on a mission, I occasionally have a shutdown error and FSX crashes - when I want to end anyway.

Active runway: if you have a flightplan filed, meaning you fly IFR, ATC will direct you around, telling you to descend and give you vectors, and also will tell you which runway to expect. If you fly VFR - no flightplan filed - you can switch to weather informations where they also mention active runways. You can also refuse the runway given to yoiu, and request another one. If you do, check wind direction before. You do not want to land with wind in your back, or crosswind. Hm. They really don't tell you when approaching via VFR what runway to expect? Ooops, was not aware of that. - Keep in mind, radio comms are terribly simlified and the procedures Control, demands oyu to fly are often a bit messy, not to mention that descend paths often are difficult to meet (spilers needed anyway). - On FS9 I used a traffic addon and had plenty of traffic indeed, a crowded place the airports were. With FSX I have to keep an eye on my ressources when using hte 737NGX, so no traffic addonb. I also ignore radio comms most of the time, and follow SIDs and STARs from the books instead, choosing runways according to weath reports and wind directions that I have examined via ASE before takeoff. - ASE: Active Sky, a weather online data collection tool, downloading METARs every couple of minutes and transforming them into mnore relasatic wetaher conditions than the default option in FSX. REX 2.0: replacement textures for sky, clouds, water surfaces, wave animations.

Immersion when taxiing: keep in mind that if you do not have airport charts, it is difficult to imagine in advance on which route to taxi the labyrinth of taxiways, so be a bit forgiving to yourself and use the inbuilt arrow-helpers. Keep in mind, in the real airliners, there are TWO pilots, one of which rolls the plane during taxiing, the other reassuring him or correcting him on choice of taxiways. The pilot not having controls (taxiing the planes) also would do all the comms with tower who assign the airplane the active taxiways. Reality probably is a bit easier than the simulation here! - Quality airport sceneries help tremendously, due to their detailed and complete taxiways sign set. A tool like AES (Airport Enhancement Services) also helps, not only does it add fueling, moving taxiways, service vehicles and boarding procedures, but after landing it gives you the option of a follow-me car to final docking position plus parking position adviser, so you can follow the car over the whole airport, like in reality. A massive boost in immersion!

On the GPS system, there is a long chapter on that and how to handle it in the learning centre, under "Navigation" - that part holds many sub-chapters, one of which is exclusively on the GPS' operation. It is very extensive and complete, I would say.

Overspeeding jetliners, well, key is proper FMC programming. And here keep in mind that I do not use the default planes. You need a correct weight and fuel calculation and a wetaher report giving you proper wind direction, strength and outside temperature. Next you set a socalled cost index that is rergulated by both carrier policies for speedy or economic flights and wanted conditions for the scheduled single flight. The faster the more expensive , that is what the cost index is about. In the Boeing FMC this cost index ranges from I think 40 to 400, 40 being the slowest and most economic, 400 being the fastest and most fuel burning. The difference in end speed can be in the range of 20-40 knots. - Next, proper use of the autopilot modes and FMC modes, I assume the default 737 does not copy the complexity by which this is simulated in the PMDG. Certain autopilot modes for changing flight levels have different effects results on the flight speed, using V/S or LVL CHG for climbing or descending are two very different things. - Many airliners are surprisingly good soaring planes, meaning: they lose speed not easily, but easily accelerate rapidly when descending. Using the spoilers/speed brakes is pretty much the norm when descending. My 737's CDU also issues warnings on when to use them for sure, when targets could not be met without. The efficiency of speed brakes vary with different airliner models. - A well done FM module in an airliner should calculate all by itself climb and descend paths that keep the airplane well within limits in all phases of flight. Can't say if that is the case with FSX' default one, too. - Keep in mind that airliners, modern ones, are flown from gear-up to short before touch-down in full automatic modes, the pilots only handle flaps, gear and spoilers manually, else just push buttons and turn knobs to enter new frequencies and numbers.

Skins: I do not know the situation with skins for the default planes, I cannot imagine they get too much attention anymore, with so many addons being around. But for addon planes, skins are available in huge numbers, usually. Avsim download section is the place to starrt your search, else: Google.

Elevation of runway: you can go to the menu and open the map. There find your airport in question and click on it, a window should open giving you all frequencies, runways, length, elevations and ILS courses. Or you use terminal approach charts and Jeppesens (a company name) that come with an airport scenery. You could also try to find pdfs of your favourite airport via google: "Airport name, Jeppesen" or "Airport name, ICAO" would be good searches maybe add "pdf". I know that these are available, since I am using some of such printable original maps myself. Others I have, came with addons, in form of small booklets. I think there are complete sites who offer nothing else but such maps (for freed download). - Finally, you could get a flight planner software like Flight Sim Commander 9.2.

Flight Length: I recommend my method: I make sure that my flights are such that between reaching travel altitude and begin of descend there is not more than 10-25 minutes time. Because it is not interesting to sit in a simulated airplane and just staring out of your monitor. - A great immersion boost is weather. If you want to give it a tremendous raise, consider investing in ASE and a texture replacement, like for example REX. The clouds do not compare to the default MS stuff, they are photorealistic. There is nothing better than to land in bad weather or fog at an airport with night lights, and you run all by instruments and the weather in rags and layers fly by outside the window, and just a minute before touchdown you see the runway lights. Diving into and getting out of clouds at altitude also does magic.

The 747 crashing, I assume that you engaged the altitude mode and the thing tried to launch into orbit like a rocket from Nasa. Of course, climb speed must stay within limits so that the engines can provide enough forward speed to keep the air flowing over the wings and provide you with lifting force. The closer to the minimum speed because climb speed is too high, the more the nose raises and the angle of attack goes up. Finally, the airflow over the wings breaks off, and you have the classic stall. Remedy: not only define a target altitude, but also a climb speed. This could be in the range of 1800-2400 feet, for example. The heavier the plane, and the higher you already are, the slower you must adjust it, else: stall. At an altitude of for example 28000 plus, expect to be able to climb at speeds in the lower hundreds of feet only, not the thousands.

Be advised that if this is what your autopilot does, this has nothing, really nothing to do with how the autopilot in the real Boeings works and/or is operated. FSX is a terrible simplification this regard, in principle using a sports plane'S autopilot for commanding the flightplan of a Boeing airliner. That is absurd. - I recall that there was somewhere a good introduction into the basic design and features of a typical Honeywell FMC for Boeings, I try if I find it again so that you can get an impression of how big the differences are and what the thing is really about. If you think it just controls course, speed and altitude, than think again- these things can do so incredibly many things more that FSX by default doe snot even touch upon! - I am a button pusher simulationist. I love FMCs (or FMS - FCS? -, as Airbus calls them, I think).

Last edited by Skybird; 01-05-13 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-05-13, 09:45 AM   #15
Skybird
Soaring

On the virtual memory error, first a note on that you are not alone: even the gods get struck by FSX sometimes. And then, for unknown reasons, it all is nice and fair again.

http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/index...memory-issues/

I have no own advise, I however ask this: is the OOM error coming only when approaching heavy airports that are very busy, or in places with complex scenery, or do you get it just anywhere? In general I would test and see whether a place where you had an OOM gives you still problems again when you have toned down the sliders in the menu. You have much hardware reserves, but maybe they are ill-configured in some way.

just found - for example - these:

http://kostasfsworld.wordpress.com/2...ory-helperfix/

Especially check your page file setting, set it to "system managed", and if that not helps, try a very large setting, and then a smaller one. My suspicion is that somehow your textures being moved between HD and RAM may cause your problem. Or there is a some bottleneck between HD and system.

And you are certain, really, that you are using a 64 Bit Windows, yes? 32 Bit cannot handle more than 3.7 GB in FS - and for even that the simulator must be given special tweaks.

I could also imagine that maybe your HD has gotten too full. Is it?

Now check this, from posting #10 on, the last one on the first page, and then the second:

http://www.fsx.co.za/showthread.php?t=4864

Then listen in here and try if something is valid for you:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/out-...opic37104.html

------------------

Finally, charts. This site is giving the basics for flight simulator purposes, you enter the ICAO code (KLAX for example, and get a basic diagram, which is unrealistic and has nothing to do with the Jeppesens, but lists all the numbers you need).

http://www.fscharts.com/

There is plenty of stuff. Use Google with "Airport Chart" or "Airport Chart KLAX", and get overwhelmed.

Hope you get that OOM bugger fixed. Would be a shame when it stays that way. However, one thing you should not forget: the issue is extremely difficult to diagnose, but is absolutely available to solution. Many people like myself have had the issue, and have come beyond it, even if we never really knew what happened why. But possible that you need to dig deep for the solution. VISIT SOME DEDICATED FORUMS FOR FLIGHTSIMS AND SEARCH, AND ASK !

Good luck!

Last edited by Skybird; 01-07-13 at 08:30 AM.