SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-13-18, 03:09 PM   #1
schlechter pfennig
Commander

Downloads: 52
Uploads: 7
Default draft and displacement correction mod -- WAC 5.1/5.1 (beta release)

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=5370

This mod adds missing draft and displacement values, and/or adjusts previously existing ones, to match the ones in the museum/recognition manual.

After having missed quite a few high-value targets due to under-running torpedoes (even during perfect, clear, calm weather) I started looking into things, especially when a torpedo set to run 2 meters above the keel actually passed just underneath. I discovered a lot of ships had missing or incorrect draft values.

There are two or three files involved for each ship: [ship].cfg, [ship].sim, and (for most) [ship]_en.log, where [ship].sim set the actual, in-game draft of the ship.

Many ships had draft settings of 0, which meant, according to the .sim file, "If 0, then it [draught] is taken from the object's global position"*. Without knowing the draft of a ship, it makes it difficult --if not impossible-- to set proper torpedo run depths.

For ships that had museum entries ([ship]_en.log) I used those values and updated, as needed, the .cfg and .sim values for draft and displacement. When there was no [ship]_en.log file, I used the values in the .cfg file.

This mod adjusts the ships (Sea folder) of the latest WAC mod.

Please let me know if you encounter anything unusual. I would appreciate any feedback, especially regarding comparision of displacements and drafts confirmations of the recognition manuals.

Simply extract the .7z file and move the folder to the MODS folder (assuming you use JSGME, that is. You do use that, right? ) and activate it. You should not need to be in port to do so, just away from any active units, but it is always best to activate between patrols.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
* I have no idea how to determine an object's global position!

Last edited by schlechter pfennig; 07-14-18 at 07:17 PM.
schlechter pfennig is offline   Reply With Quote