SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-17-18, 07:19 PM   #1
Ernstww
Mate

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Default Why I think this game will ultimately be great

...and achieve "Classic" status.

I could go on about graphics and the sub detail, interesting dynamics with crew management etc. But actually what sums it up best is this feature request thread in Steam asking for The Depth Under Keel meter(Atlas Echolod) to function (Kudos must go to Schmeisser1942 for being an extraordinarily active Beta participant):

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1540751665

Then this thread:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/49484...1283883720052/

Further kudos to Nihilcat and his fellow devs, seemingly channeling Capt.-Lt. Henrich Lehmann-Willenbrock, lifting the boat from the bottom of the sea through sheer force of will.
Old 10-18-18, 02:17 AM   #2
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 10

yeah things are shaping up nice so far, not the most traditional subsim, but a newer approach.
Partially Surprised at the apparent lack on interest here on Subsim, but then again a alot of old hats that populate this forum seem more like former sub-simmers than current ones. Maybe when Uboat his early access people will make some more noise for it here. we will see.
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-18, 03:04 AM   #3
ouPhrontis
Bosun

Downloads: 5

I'm concerned it may try to appeal to too broad an audience, and cater for the less patient or willing to exercise the grey-matter, a la the Red Triangle, etc.

What drew me to SH series, were the possibility of transiting vast bodies of water in real-time, but busy yourself rechecking navigation and so on, especially where it concerns applying real-world knowledge (not just for the torp-triangle).

I think if you're making the game to appeal to not just the simulation corner; you'd possibly be incorporating game-play features that make it more arcade-like, say having random-encounters set to occur at a regular frequency, making it seem more like a 3 minute theme-park ride than a U-Boot; and that turns me off.

That there's a side cutaway view looks cool, though personally not a feature I'd use much.

I am still watching their space, though I think my sub-sim hours will continue to go into SH.
ouPhrontis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-18, 04:33 AM   #4
JU_88
Silent Hunter

At the moment, the side cutaway is something you must use, its a core mechanic used for issuing orders for the crew. You can use first person instead, But that can take longer to get things done and you must run around the part of the boat needed to find the right post or equipment.

People Use the term 'Arcade' very loosely around here, but I can tell you that having played it, the game is certainly not 'arcade' but nor is it a sim in the traditional sense. its in a grey area, its very intricate and rather complicated to control the boat about 50% UI and 50% crew management (cut away) or by assuming a crew member in First person, right now i'd say the learning curb is as about steep as Silent Hunter overall, though its not the same aspects of control that are tricky to master. In terms of overall control of the boat, *navigation, depth keeping etc) Silent hunter is actually the more simplified of the two.

Your average casual gamer would probably not have the stamina for Uboat, the game is very tough currently. in the Beta, people have struggled to stay a live for one patrol.
Old 10-18-18, 06:15 AM   #5
Kretschmer the IV
Navy Dude

Downloads: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernstww View Post
...and achieve "Classic" status.

I could go on about graphics and the sub detail, interesting dynamics with crew management etc. But actually what sums it up best is this feature request thread in Steam asking for The Depth Under Keel meter(Atlas Echolod) to function (Kudos must go to Schmeisser1942 for being an extraordinarily active Beta participant):

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1540751665

Then this thread:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/49484...1283883720052/

Further kudos to Nihilcat and his fellow devs, seemingly channeling Capt.-Lt. Henrich Lehmann-Willenbrock, lifting the boat from the bottom of the sea through sheer force of will.
Thanks mate for your kudos! And Yes, Nihilcat does an awesome job, I wonder if he has free time at the moment because it seems he is working from early morning up to late in the evening
The great thing is, they really consider every feature suggestion you submit and implement it into the game! It seems like this game is gonna be shaped like the community wants!
But still, long way to go but we are getting there

~ Kümmer dich um deine Leute und sie kümmern sich um dich ~
Kretschmer the IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-18, 06:41 AM   #6
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kretschmer the IV View Post
It seems like this game is gonna be shaped like the community wants!

Yeah that is one thing that makes this project really interesting, The base is almost built. And from there, The Developers are looking for constructive feedback to help develop it further.

And yes Nihilcat (lead Developer & all round workhorse) is a really great guy! I hope we and this project wont break him though, you could not wish for a more dedicated, responsive and positive indervidual to drive this home.
Whatever criticisms Uboat will face in future, 'the devs don't listen' will most certainly not be a valid one. period.
Old 10-18-18, 09:16 PM   #7
Ernstww
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kretschmer the IV View Post
Thanks mate for your kudos! And Yes, Nihilcat does an awesome job, I wonder if he has free time at the moment because it seems he is working from early morning up to late in the evening
The great thing is, they really consider every feature suggestion you submit and implement it into the game! It seems like this game is gonna be shaped like the community wants!
Yes brother, I salute you
Old 10-18-18, 09:30 PM   #8
Ernstww
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU_88 View Post
yeah things are shaping up nice so far, not the most traditional subsim, but a newer approach.
Partially Surprised at the apparent lack on interest here on Subsim, but then again a alot of old hats that populate this forum seem more like former sub-simmers than current ones. Maybe when Uboat his early access people will make some more noise for it here. we will see.
Yes JU, looking at the long game though, the fact that Deep Water has actively made the game mod-friendly. This bodes well for the long term even if nihilcat rage quits tomorrow (god forbid).

I suspect the modders will jump on this gem.
Old 10-22-18, 06:40 AM   #9
daft
Captain

Downloads: 15

Indeed, I really like the interactions between Nihilcat and us testers. Looking forward to a new build, hopefully tonight. This game real potential and I hope Nihilcat gets some relief and a partner in crime for the coding side.

So far the discussions in the bug forums have been very constructive not just in terms of finding bugs but also suggesting features and balancing issues.
Old 10-29-18, 08:53 PM   #10
Ernstww
Mate

I quite liked my last run. I had to arrest 2 crew for dereliction of duty.

I mean, cowering in the corner while the boat is under attack!? - Unforgivable!

A court martial offence. Where is my pistol!
Old 10-29-18, 09:08 PM   #11
Ernstww
Mate

Quote:
I would say give it time. The combination of next gen graphics, mod friendly architecture, and the whole new 'crew management' concept will win subsim. They are, no doubt, very busy doing their manual enigma decoding and torpido solutions.
Old 10-31-18, 02:54 PM   #12
harag
A-ganger

Downloads: 67

I have to agree with most of this. Deep Water are doing a great job, making changes, giving us builds as quick possible and fixing a lot of bugs, most of all, listening to the testers!

I personally wish I had more time to play, but can only play at the weekends at the moment, but read the forums daily, the difference the game is from one weekend to the next is amazing.

The side view at the moment is needed to quickly give orders etc, but I think that is because we're still getting use to it and testing it. Once we can disable that feature for realism and have the periscope enabled etc. then playing in 1st person is 100% viable. However, one thing in this mode that might be immersion breaking is the moving from one body to another to control them. That might just feel weird. You will soon learn where all the ship controls are and run to them when needed.

The immersion breaker is when your an office on the deck checking the horizon, spot a plane, then jump into the body of the office in the control room to flood the tanks to dive. But then that is like shouting down the order "ALARM! DIVE" and that order is then carried out by you switching bodies.

Anyway, great game, come on well, and I think it will be up there with the list of classics!
harag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 02:03 PM   #13
YellowFin
Engineer

Downloads: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by harag View Post
I have to agree with most of this. Deep Water are doing a great job, making changes, giving us builds as quick possible and fixing a lot of bugs, most of all, listening to the testers!

I personally wish I had more time to play, but can only play at the weekends at the moment, but read the forums daily, the difference the game is from one weekend to the next is amazing.

The side view at the moment is needed to quickly give orders etc, but I think that is because we're still getting use to it and testing it. Once we can disable that feature for realism and have the periscope enabled etc. then playing in 1st person is 100% viable. However, one thing in this mode that might be immersion breaking is the moving from one body to another to control them. That might just feel weird. You will soon learn where all the ship controls are and run to them when needed.

The immersion breaker is when your an office on the deck checking the horizon, spot a plane, then jump into the body of the office in the control room to flood the tanks to dive. But then that is like shouting down the order "ALARM! DIVE" and that order is then carried out by you switching bodies.

Anyway, great game, come on well, and I think it will be up there with the list of classics!
I don't want to down talk a new subsim game, but an officer never runs to issue orders. That's a guaranteed way to lose the battle. The officers are busy with target selection, tactical problems and the mission in general. They need their time for decision making and planning. Communication of their decisions and derived orders is intentionally made simple by engineers and military planners. Officers then rely on the crew to run the components and weapon systems properly. On land they use radio, messengers, flags, etc. to deploy subordinate units. On a boat or plane they use intercom or the tubes running through the ship. I suggest you take a second look at that mechanic if you want to keep it realistic and interesting for those who are into mil sim.
YellowFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-19, 06:56 AM   #14
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Yeah there are two major hurdles UBoat needs to overcome imo.
In terms of issuing orders, its sometimes a bit of struggle for the player to keep up, its a necessity to some times pause the game, just so you have time to respond with commands and orders. Personally I'm not sure how players will take to that, as its abit immersion breaking.

Number two would be the actual process of detection, hunting and attacking.
IMO Its not quite as gratifying or as immersive as SH yet.
Maybe too much automation there, and not enough automation in crew management? But then again it is a crew management game, so maybe its fine, and its just me and feel I get from the game.

But don't let that put you off, because the Game as many strong points and from the start, it clear that it has been a labor of love. Considering the size of the developer, what they have accomplished so far is really exceptional.

Alot is happening at the moment (maybe next week), a big patch is due for the beta, with almost all features for the Early access build unlocked. A marketing campaign should start too according to Matt (Playway) Ill be away, but will certainly take a look when i'm back.
Old 02-13-19, 10:18 AM   #15
fullmetaledges
Chief

Downloads: 120

Quote:
Yeah there are two major hurdles UBoat needs to overcome imo.
In terms of issuing orders, its sometimes a bit of struggle for the player to keep up, its a necessity to some times pause the game, just so you have time to respond with commands and orders. Personally I'm not sure how players will take to that, as its abit immersion breaking.

Number two would be the actual process of detection, hunting and attacking.
IMO Its not quite as gratifying or as immersive as SH yet.
Maybe too much automation there, and not enough automation in crew management? But then again it is a crew management game, so maybe its fine, and its just me and feel I get from the game.

But don't let that put you off, because the Game as many strong points and from the start, it clear that it has been a labor of love. Considering the size of the developer, what they have accomplished so far is really exceptional.

Alot is happening at the moment (maybe next week), a big patch is due for the beta, with almost all features for the Early access build unlocked. A marketing campaign should start too according to Matt (Playway) Ill be away, but will certainly take a look when i'm back.
For all of us that don't have access to the game, can you give us an idea of how the game play currently works? How much do you have to micromanage and does the captain have to run around the ship? Would you describe searching for and engaging a ship?
fullmetaledges is offline   Reply With Quote