Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 08-02-09, 06:28 AM   #1
BilboSmeggins
Sailor man

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default IL2: Birds of Prey - Any thoughts?

Hi all

Just wondered if anyone had tried the demo of IL2: BOP yet? I cannot download it personally, as I do not subscribe to Xbox Live. The only feedback I've been able to find so far has been from the arcade-heads on the OXM forums. Whose opinions cannot be wholly trusted!!

Now, I'm not expecting it to be as intricate as the PC incarnation of IL2, but am still excited by the prospect of being able to give it a blast on the big LCD in the living room, with my feet up on the sofa . And, looking at the videos on youtube, the terrain looks little short of stunning. Big hopes here......
BilboSmeggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-09, 06:54 PM   #2
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

All I know is that it looks stunning, but the average console simply does not have the processing power nor amount of memory to do a proper sim.

Quote:
IIya: Oleg has very limited contact with BoP developers, but I have more of a working relationship with the guys at Gaijin Entertainment. They are an incredibly dedicated team and I know they’re very excited about bringing IL-2 to new platforms. They have a very difficult task at hand, as IL-2s complexity is not ideally suited for consoles. I’m confident they’ll do a heck of a job however, and I personally plan to get the game the day it comes out. I really hope it’ll be very successful in introducing a whole new demographic to flight simulation.
http://www.simhq.com/_air11/air_341e.html

I read an article recently, saw some screens, but I can't find it at the moment.

* First look by Kotaku
First impressions by Bit-tech.net

Contritium praecedit superbia.

Last edited by Arclight; 08-02-09 at 07:27 PM.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-09, 12:31 AM   #3
BilboSmeggins
Sailor man

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Hi

I realise that the console version will have to make certain comprimises, as that was inevitable. I was, however, absolutely gobsmacked by the graphics engine the developers have managed to come up with. That is what frustrates me so much with PC software. The resources are in such abundance these days that modern-day programmers seem to have lost the incentive for efficient code.

Having just read the review that you pasted the link for I cannot believe that they have not included take-offs!! What the hell!? Oh well. I shall probably still grab this when it comes out as the 360 gathers dust on a daily basis otherwise....
BilboSmeggins is offline   Reply With Quote