Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 08-07-08, 01:55 AM   #1
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3
Default IL2 sound issues

I hope someone can help me here (hear? sorry)
A few problems I'm having:

Wingmen responses are too quiet and often completely missing. If I tell my flight to cover me, I should hear "[2's voice]this is two; covering you" then "[3's voice]this is three; covering you" and finally "[4's voice]this is four; got you covered" or something similar. But typically I get only half of these e.g. "[2's voice]this is two; [3's voice]this is three; [4's voice] got you covered" (it can be any combination of sounds which are missing/played). And, as I said above, the volume of the voices is so low that I can hardly hear them anyway.

Another problem is that for some reason when fire my guns the volume of the engine sound goes way down (then comes back up after I stop firing).

I'm guessing there are simple fixes for these problems? If anyone knows what to do, please say so!

In case it matters I have an Audigy2 ZS (and no sound mods... yet).

Thanks,
OLC
Old 08-07-08, 02:00 AM   #2
Fincuan
Admiral

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 0

The radio chatter is basically screwed up sometimes. Just wait till you get to hear a squadron of AI planes trying to land on the same airfield...

If it however sounds so bad that there's clearly something wrong, then you could try running the il2setup and setting the sound options to whatever preset is closest to your soundcard. If there are none, then at least "Full DirectX" (or something similar) works for me.
Fincuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-08, 02:52 AM   #3
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

There's nothing wrong with the sounds that do play, except the volume, and I found the solution for that (Voice Volume in sound settings - duh!) but I'm still missing certain responses. It's quite an immersion killer when I tell my wingman to do something and he replied "this is two..." and then nothing follows. It's also a bit annoying because I don't know whether he's carrying out the order or not.

My Setup sound settings are already configued correctly, I'm pretty sure. They're not really complicated anyway. I tried turning hardware off but that made no difference to the missing sounds. I also tried changing the number of channels and the audio quality - again, no change (except in quality of course). It's almost as if the sound files themselves are missing from my HDD!

I also can't seem to fix the problem of the engine sound going quieter when I fire guns...